• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mandatory Deuce tools

Mt Doom Field Owner

I was beat to the draw ... my input was going to be a small metal container kept deep in the big glove compartment box... inside of which rest 5 $100.00 dollar bills and the phone number to an excellent deuce mechanic at the local truck stop.:roll:

Because I use this method of repair I only need the pioneer tools I store over the spare tire in my tool collection!

Ahhhh... success has it's privileges!!!

Last edited:

Josh

I was beat to the draw ... my input was going to be a small metal container kept deep in the big glove compartment box... inside of which rest 5 $100.00 dollar bills and the phone number to an excellent deuce mechanic at the local truck stop.:roll:

Because I use this method of repair I only need the pioneer tools I store over the spare tire in my tool collection!

Ahhhh... success has it's privileges!!!

so were ya park your truck so i can "borrow" your tool kit.

Mt Doom Field Owner

Yea buddy... of course I was only speaking metaphorically there... you reach inside my glove box and all your gonna find is dust and the odd assorted nuts and bolts that seem to come inside all the old M35's I've ever seen. The point being... keep some cash in reserve cause you're gonna eventually be needing it!:razz:

dcwilkie

The tool list:

3-inch 8 point wheel bearing locknut socket
Budd lug socket
Wheel lug wrench and extender bar
3/4 inch drive socket set with breaker bar
4-foot cheater pipe
Various hammers up to a sledge
Propane Torch
4 six ton jack stands
Heavy-duty hydraulic bottle jack (at least 10 ton cap?)
Electric or pneumatic impact wrench
Air Compressor wrench
Volt/ ohm meter
The Tech Manuals (hats off to Steel Soldiers for these!)
Friends
Beer
Ben Gay or Icy Hot (depending on your tendencies ;-))
Patience

oddshot

I went rummanging around tin the storage closet ... and found this musty old thread ...

I have a couple of tool suggestions for the Deuce owner.

In the (very) short time that I’ve had my Deuce, I find that they are VERY similar to old Brit Sports Cars … like the MGB.

They both contain a LOT of cast iron and some oil leaks. It should be noted, however, that the electrics are a bit better on the Deuce.

That having been said … I am finding that both share some tools that make ownership and maintenance a LOT easier.

Some models of the Deuce and the MGB have soft tops for instance.

During the time that I owned MGB’s I found the Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl VERY handy repairing upholstery, tops and etc. When I needed to cobble up a top forto bring my Deuce home …I broke out my Speedy Sticher … and some good strong canvas … and did the “folded cloth and pull cord” repair to replace the missing plastic bit in the front of the top.

I sewed the seam in the canvas for the cord on my old cast iron Singer … glued the canvas onto the top with Shoe Goop … and when the goop set up … I put tow rows of stiching across the front to hold the canvas in place. The whole thing took about ½ hour.

Cheaper than dirt has the awl for about $10.00

ZAA-002 - Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl Includes Two Needles Bobbin of Thread Sews Anything

Extra spools of waxed thread can be found in any crafts store.

For lessons to use the Speedy stitcher …go to :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rvFO11AzOg[/media]
If you desired to re-use the black plastic strip ... drill the holes in the plastic to about 1/16 inch with a drill before attempting to sew.

This would be VERY handy if you see that the last couple of inches are beginning to loose their stitches. This works on the side plastic bits ... and the seat covers as well.

oddshot

Last edited:

oddshot

I went rummaging around tin the storage closet ... and found this musty old thread ...

I have a couple of tool suggestions for the Deuce owner.

In the (very) short time that I’ve had my Deuce, I find that they are VERY similar to old Brit Sports Cars … like the MGB.

They both contain a LOT of cast iron and some oil leaks. It should be noted, however, that the electrics are a bit better on the Deuce.

That having been said … I am finding that both share some tools that make ownership and maintenance a LOT easier.

Some models of the Deuce and the MGB have soft tops for instance.

During the time that I owned MGB’s I found the Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl VERY handy repairing upholstery, tops and etc. When I needed to cobble up a top to bring my Deuce home …I broke out my Speedy Stitcher … and some good strong canvas … and did the “folded cloth and pull cord” repair to replace the missing plastic bit in the front of the top.

I sewed the seam in the canvas for the cord on my old cast iron Singer … glued the canvas onto the top with Shoe Goop … and when the goop set up … I put tow rows of stitching across the front to hold the canvas in place. The whole thing took about ½ hour.

Cheaper than dirt has the awl for about $10.00

ZAA-002 - Speedy Stitcher Sewing Awl Includes Two Needles Bobbin of Thread Sews Anything

Extra spools of waxed thread can be found in any crafts store.

For lessons to use the Speedy stitcher …go to :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rvFO11AzOg[/media]If you desired to re-use the black plastic strip ... drill the holes in the plastic to about 1/16 inch with a drill before attempting to sew.

This would be VERY handy if you see that the last couple of inches are beginning to loose their stitches. This works on the side plastic bits ... and the seat covers as well.

oddshot

Attachments

Last edited:

oddshot

Also ... I've got a fairly complete small shop in my basement ... I got a feeling that the Deuce is gonna give me LOTs of opportunity to make/repair things that it needs.

This AM ... I took an old screwdriver, a 24 volt bulb and holder, some wire and an alligator clip and built a 24 volt test lamp to help diagnoses my directional signals with.

So, other tools a Deuce owner should get familiar with are:

A 24 volt test lamp
Shoe Goop (VERY strong adhesive)
Gorilla Tape (think "duct tape on steroids". This Gorilla tape is a bit more expensive ... but VERY strong!)

Got more?

oddshot

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A wheel dolley for lifting and removing the tire/wheel is great...Harbor Frt has them for $99.00 when they are on sale. BTW acces to welding equipment or a good contact to weld is great.2cents

Tahoe

My Grand Dad told me to have a good list of well-worn but effective "colorful adjectives". He has quite a list from his time working for Uncle Sam.

Calls the M35 a new truck...

Tahoe

Torque wrench, Duck billed hammer,sledge hammer,common sense

After taking two rears off today, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to keep a duckbilled hammer, sledge hammer, tube patch kit, spare tubes and tire tools with the truck. I sure would hate to get a flat and not be able to change it, seems like it might be a great idea to be able to fix it while you're at it.

I guess I'd also have to rig up a gladhand air hose, but that shouldn't be hard.

LC

paulfarber

"4 six ton jack stands
Heavy-duty hydraulic bottle jack (at least 10 ton cap?)"

WHY?

Unless you are going to lift and balance an M35 on one stand with one jack, ok.

But a 3 ton jack and 3 ton jack stands are fine, and cheaper.

Just had this discussion on a CCKW forum. Guys had 20-50ton jacks.. I guess they wanted to brag about the size of their jacks? A CCKW ~= M35 for weight and a 3 ton jack is standard equipment.

Remember, you are only doing one corner (1/4th the GVW) at a time with a jack.

Save that $$$ for oil and diesel.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Slave cable, robotool impact in 3/4" with impact sockets, and a lot of other tools. Then after buying all of this stuff, you take the truck out to someone elses house and dump it so they fix it for you using a lot less tools than what you have on hand.

Or

Just get access to the local national guard motorpool and use their maintenance set when you need the big help.

Or

Have C4 in hand with fuse and ignitor. When it breaks down, blow in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks