• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marine M37 build

GUNNY 155

I knew Storm would be our answer guy on the canvas. Not sure exactly what the firewall tag is used for. I had my original cab tub and a replacement cab tub from a donor truck both had the tags and both had different numbers. They also seem to have a prefix and suffix system to them because of the two different fonts. At one time I was thinking contract numbers or part numbers but not sure at this point. Wondering if your truck was transferred from the Army to the Marines. Or if the truck was used in Viet Nam there is a good chance the Marines mid night requisitioned it from the Army.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those tags on the firewall (the ones with the rounded corners) are from the plant that made the body tubs. I'm not sure if they were a separate division, company or what. Similar, I believe, to all the old Lincoln - Continental being "Body by Fisher" (yeah, I'm old).

Those tags were just for internal tracking during the build process. The government systems didn't recognize or account for them.

Elwood1968

Those tags on the firewall (the ones with the rounded corners) are from the plant that made the body tubs. I'm not sure if they were a separate division, company or what. Similar, I believe, to all the old Lincoln - Continental being "Body by Fisher" (yeah, I'm old).

Those tags were just for internal tracking during the build process. The government systems didn't recognize or account for them.
I can't find a supplier code in the ORD 9 SNL for the body tub, so it might have been assembled in house by Chrysler. The only other likely candidates would be Briggs or Budd, but Briggs doesn't appear in the list of suppliers in the front of the SNL for the G-741 vehicles.

As for Fisher Body, they were a captive GM supplier after 1919, so it's unlikely that they supplied bodies for Lincoln or for Continental, which were Ford divisions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks