• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Marine trucks?

joediveguy

Because they are rode hard and put up wet (in salt water). And the Marines don't konw any more about maintenance than the typical African hellhole.

Best bet for condiiton and well maintained is AirFarce. Don't take them off paved roads or out of the Hilton parking lot. Well maintained by an outfit that is pretty anal about equipment working when it's 50000ft up. Next choice then Seebee stuff, National Guard then Army reserve, Here in Iowa much of the NG vehicles at issue to units is garaged.
++1!

We may not be the sharpest of mechanics, but we are always at the tip of the spear, operating whatever we could get our hands on! I personally would not purchase a Marine vehicle unless it came from a cave or straight off a prepositioning ship. We more often than not had to beg, borrow and steal what we had. The vehicles we usually started out with were beat up POS that were rejected or retired by the Army or Navy. We then had to beat them into submission, using duct tape, bailing wire and whatever we could get our hands on! Just ask the boy’s from First Recon when they rolled into Baghdad.
My first choice would be a USAF vehicle, like stated above, meticulously maintained and rarely driven off the black top.

JarheadMtn

My 813 is a Marine one too.

The Marine way;
We are the Unwilling, Led by the Unqualified, to do the Unneccesary for the Ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for soo long we can now do anything with nothing.

A lot of the Marine gear is totally worn out. My last duty station we had a Colt 45 for the duty that had a cracked barrel and we were warned to avoid shooting it.

F18hornetM

but the marine trucks are pretty well used up years of hard work and misuse have taken ther toll .
the marines are funded bu the navy actually a dept. of the navy , THE MENS DEPT. ha ha ha hahaha, yes i said that sgt okeefe usmc 68 /71 :D
yeah that be me:)..pretty much used up a couple of them. I was there when we traded in M35's for M923's...WOW . The old M35s were tough though and hardly ever remember one broke down. I mean they leaked oil and fuel, but still ran, and we ran em...

F18hornetM

Mine has the paperclips on the front bumper so it may have been USMC but the ARMY had it last.

i think many times trucks went back and forth. Some we had did not have paper clips on front bumper and im pretty sure some had Army data plates on them as well. Then when the Marines got rid of all of them, some probably went back to the army.
Maintenance was tough, we never had enough tires or tubes, patch tubes over and over. But the best grocery shopping was a joint exercise with the Army.. yee haw...new tires!! dont ask me how I know this..

Gunner0311

Sad but true...

Marines had trucks! I can hardly remember any! We had to hoof it everywhere!!

Oh yeh, some trucks did pass us and spray the formation with dust, mud and gravel
once in a while:p

Total agreement on the USAF trucks. I bought my M109A3 off of Selfridge Air Force Base, a 1970 truck with 14k miles on it. The Air Force trucks were driven from the
motor pool to the other side of the base, and then back to be parked again.. :)

mcmullag

whatever works

I've turned my former air force reserve truck into a marine corps league truck.
I got the 1987 truck last year from GL with 13,800 miles on it and appears to be original miles, they just didn't use it, it just sat here all its life at Peterson AFB next to the truck steelandcanvas got too. Evidently the reservists went off and played with the C-130's here instead of driving the trucks. Pics =. two auction pics and 3 nowadays pics.... My prior truck was a 1971 from Nebraska national guard, rebuild at Toole in '87, it was in good shape, well maintained.

Attachments

Last edited:

AZDeuce

Being a Marine, I would probably look else where for a deuce, I would take a 800-900 series USMC 5-ton however just for the lockers. That's a very nice plus.

The Marines are usually stationed near the ocean, and they practice beach landings, so their vehicles spend way more time in the salt water than the Army's and Air force. I woud think SeaBee's vehicles would be as bad, or worse rust wise.

When I was in 74-78, we had M35A2s (or A1s?)
they did not have the paper clips nor the welded on reinforcements around the beds "hook" where the lifting bar would mount.

About 10 years ago I bought a derelict 1953 REO, USMC M35 gasser for scrap here in Phoenix. It was a winch model, the winch and drive shaft were gone, but the bumper/extentions/pto were all there. I got the truck for the price of that stuff. The front bumper did not have paper clips, but the bed had the welded on reinfocement around the "hook." But more amazing was that the rear lifting bars that fit inside the "hook" were still there.....COOL!

Needess to say, I drug that beast home, I had plans to restore it. But a few years later I picked up a nice deuce from a gentelman near March AFB in CA, Mark Blair, I believe. It was a 1953 REO also, but had been converted to A2 specs, except the dash kept the original data plate. The truck was undercoated.

At that time I thought only Marine trucks were undercoated, but that isn't true I found out. I stripped everything off of the gasser like the pto and winch bumper, and the hood, and put it on my 53 A2, I sold off the gasser residue for what I paid for it (one of the few times I didn't lose money!)

I cut out the reinforcements for the rear hook, but haven't welded them on yet, and I need to get some paper clips made up, and I've already installed the Marine hood, so once everthing is done, a new paint job, and some Marine stenciling and my Ex-Air force, CA N.G., Army truck will now be a Marine truck.......just because I can.

BUT it's virtually rust free because it WASN'T a Marine vehicle.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was issued new to the Marines. Somewhere along the line, the Army got ahold of it, took off the winch, and put a new M923 dash plate on. Since they were nice enough to leave all the hydraulics on, I put another winch on, and still have to get a correct 925 tag. Came with air dryer, lockers, paper clips, and fording kit. Pics are before and after.......

Attachments

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've turned my former air force reserve truck into a marine corps league truck.
I got the 1987 truck last year from GL with 13,800 miles on it and appears to be original miles, they just didn't use it, it just sat here all its life at Peterson AFB next to the truck steelandcanvas got too. Evidently the reservists went off and played with the C-130's here instead of driving the trucks. Pics =. two auction pics and 3 nowadays pics.... My prior truck was a 1971 from Nebraska national guard, rebuild at Toole in '87, it was in good shape, well maintained.
That's a beauty!

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was issued new to the Marines. Somewhere along the line, the Army got ahold of it, took off the winch, and put a new M923 dash plate on. Since they were nice enough to leave all the hydraulics on, I put another winch on, and still have to get a correct 925 tag. Came with air dryer, lockers, paper clips, and fording kit. Pics are before and after.......

my m923 also had all the hydraulics, but no winch. I was told thats how the USMC ordered them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seabees trucks can be pretty rough too. Had a few. Lets not forget about tactical re-assignment also. Units in some form or another and sometimes between branches, obtained trucks from other units through unsavory means. An old Seabee once told of how his unit was able to obtain some Unimogs in the gulf war. Seems that some enterprising bees went out in the cover of darkness and returned with parts trucks abandoned along the road out of Kuwait after the devastation of the Iraqi motorpool. They were able to build a couple out of the parts and get them painted and marked. The Marines always manage to cobble together what they need but my vote for craftyness goes to the Seabees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks