• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Maryland MV owners are in trouble

DieselBob

Would taking the trucks to Annapolis be a good thing or bad? I would fear too many Jack Holes would see the big scary trucks and say no we don't want those on the roads. I do believe flooding them with pictures of them in parades, and having veterans present are great ideas. I can supply some pictures of my trucks carrying Cub Scouts in parades, which they loved!
I don't think a show of force with the trucks would be to our benefit. I think you are correct in that would just feed their argument about the big scary trucks. At first thought the parade photo idea sounds good but they may turn that around on us saying the new law still permits this. I figured something like this would come up in the state at some point but didn't think they would want to loose the revenue. Might be a good idea to send a letter to the state comptroller about the impact this would have as a reduction in revenue for the state. Anyone know if there is a special group for historic fire trucks ? I see a few of those around and they would also have skin in this game.

Last edited:

Nonotagain

This all has come to a head due to the Maryland legislatures inability to keep spending within acceptable limits.

The Historic vehicle loop hole has existed for years. All you needed was a vehicle that was 20 years old or older. Way too many people running historic tags which only cost $51.00 for two years verses $180 for a medium sized pickup truck.

The second issue is that historic vehicles don't get smog tested.

Commercial plates for M35 registered @ 18,000 lbs costs $162.00 a year.

Gov. O'Malley and his band of merry thieves can't help themselves. They're used to extorting money from working Marylanders to give the the dregs that vote a straight party line.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you can afford to... vote with your feet and get out of MD
I did.
Born in Baltimore, and left MD in 1974 when my eyes were open enough to see the writing on the wall. It took another 10 years to convince my parents that their dollars went a LOT further outside of most of the New England/Mid-Atlantic states.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I was in a position to get out of Maryland. I have a couple of factors working against me, but there will come a day…. fat lady sings

SCRAP

Not a good idea, you won't put your interests in a good light by breaking the law.
Find out who the Bill sponsors are, and contact their office. Find out where the Bill is in the process. Amer-team is right on with showing up in force, but be courteous and respectful of others in the Statehouse, word spreads quickly if folks become un-ruly. Maybe the sponsors didn't think about the impact to the hobby when writing this Bill, let them know what effect it will have on the MV collectors in Maryland. If you don't do something, and you sit on your hands and think someone else will do it, be prepared for losing your Historic plates. It can be done, "city hall" can be beat.
Actually , ive broken no law, I have 4.5 acres and claim farm status, I was merely illustrating that a friend has these plates with less acreage. If you read carefully you would have gotten it right the first time. Look before you leap sir.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's not that bad. Standard tags for my '08 F150 are $120 a year in Michigan.
Compared to the current Historic registration fee of $51 a year, it sucks! Personally, I'm more concerned about the fact that I'll have to get heavy truck insurance instead of historic insurance. There's an increase of 600%….

CatMan

Maryland MV owners in Trouble

Quit bitch'in and get organizing! These are all state by state issues. You must organize and fight this at your state level. The local MVPA chapter is were the organizing has to be. Organize a committee and get a single spokesman that is not a hot head to lead the organization.

Check your emotion at the door. Don't speculate about who said what to who. Find the root cause and work up a stratagy to defeat it. Someone solicited a legislator to draft a bill. Who EXACTLY advocated for it? I will bet the MD DOT/DMV is behind it as a "safety" issue.

With all the surplus vehicles turned out from GL and GSA - the volume of applications for Titles and Registration has overwhelmed many State DOT offices. The trucks don't have a stanardized 17 digit VIN number and the computer entry system red flags it when they try and enter it.

Other states including Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, AZ, and others are doing the same things.

The amount of dollars collected in Vintage plate fees is small potato's - The issue is some people in your state government are suspicious of big trucks especially old army trucks.

In addition to the Historic Truck assoc you should also contact two other national organizations that have staff to help with issues like this. The Historic Vehicle Accociation and SEMA (The SEMA action network) have been thru this many times and have resources to coach and help support you. The cavalry in not coming to help you. You must attack the bill at the state level. PM me if you want some help from someone who has been thru the process.

Cat Man

Nonotagain

That's not that bad. Standard tags for my '08 F150 are $120 a year in Michigan.
The problem is that Maryland and the Democratic governor, Martin O'Malley keep raiding the highway trust fund and dumping the monies into the general fund to cover their pet projects.

The previous governor got lambasted during his re-election campaign about having raised the motor vehicle fees.

The tolls for the three harbor crossings have been raised from a $1.00 to $2.00 then now to $3.00 in less than 4 years. On top of that he has proposed taking away the sales tax exemption from gasoline and diesel fuel.

We already pay 23.5 cents per gallon in motor fuel taxes, so add another 24 cents with fuel costing $4.00 per, and it adds up to another money grab.

Move to Maryland and you pay the titling taxes for the retail value of your vehicle. Doesn't matter how long you've owned it, you pay.

Historic Military vehicles having less than 17 vin characters doesn't even phase the DMV folks nor does it cause them any problems.

Finally if the Historic classification goes by the wayside, a lot of these vehicles won't be compliant with local zoning laws and cause you to have to pay for off-site storage.

What a way to go.

scranch18121

Quit bitch'in and get organizing! These are all state by state issues. You must organize and fight this at your state level. The local MVPA chapter is were the organizing has to be. Organize a committee and get a single spokesman that is not a hot head to lead the organization.

Check your emotion at the door. Don't speculate about who said what to who. Find the root cause and work up a stratagy to defeat it. Someone solicited a legislator to draft a bill. Who EXACTLY advocated for it? I will bet the MD DOT/DMV is behind it as a "safety" issue.

With all the surplus vehicles turned out from GL and GSA - the volume of applications for Titles and Registration has overwhelmed many State DOT offices. The trucks don't have a stanardized 17 digit VIN number and the computer entry system red flags it when they try and enter it.

Other states including Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, AZ, and others are doing the same things.

The amount of dollars collected in Vintage plate fees is small potato's - The issue is some people in your state government are suspicious of big trucks especially old army trucks.

In addition to the Historic Truck assoc you should also contact two other national organizations that have staff to help with issues like this. The Historic Vehicle Accociation and SEMA (The SEMA action network) have been thru this many times and have resources to coach and help support you. The cavalry in not coming to help you. You must attack the bill at the state level. PM me if you want some help from someone who has been thru the process.

Cat Man
Well Said

Tanner

Actually , ive broken no law, I have 4.5 acres and claim farm status, I was merely illustrating that a friend has these plates with less acreage. If you read carefully you would have gotten it right the first time. Look before you leap sir.
You are probably legit by word of the law - the issue that makes it bad for the 'good guys', regardless of the state you reside in, are the 'creative individuals' that choose to 'stick it to the man'... only to get themselves stuck in the long-run.

Good luck to you Maryland folks... Also, look amongst the ranks of the politicians to see who may have served in uniform before taking a position in political office - don't forget these 'veteran resources' as well - and prepare for the legislative battle.

And as a general point of order: How many old MV's is the State of Maryland (or any state) talking about?? What is the net revenue loss in restricting their use, vs the net revenue GAIN by allowing unrestricted personal use of MV's? Has ANYONE, including the guys battling in Wisconsin, etc., had the numbers pulled up & presented to show revenue loss by restricting these vehicles?

'Tanner'

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are probably legit by word of the law - the issue that makes it bad for the 'good guys', regardless of the state you reside in, are the 'creative individuals' that choose to 'stick it to the man'... only to get themselves stuck in the long-run.

If the law says a certain amount of acreage qualifies as a farm then he is legit and not creative. Here in our county it is only 5 acres to qualify and we have more than enough. It certainly worked when I built my barn and did not need a building permit. When the government pinheads want to beat someone up with a stupid law then anyone who gets a chance to return the favor should do so.

Although I'm considering a job in MD I will add their stupidity (gov) to the list of minuses. Even with a 6 figure job out there it just doesn't seem worth it.

Tanner

If the law says a certain amount of acreage qualifies as a farm then he is legit and not creative. Here in our county it is only 5 acres to qualify and we have more than enough. It certainly worked when I built my barn and did not need a building permit. When the government pinheads want to beat someone up with a stupid law then anyone who gets a chance to return the favor should do so.

Although I'm considering a job in MD I will add their stupidity (gov) to the list of minuses. Even with a 6 figure job out there it just doesn't seem worth it.
...if a town or county stated that the min acreage to be considered a farm is 5 acres, and someone tries to get 2.5 acres classified as a farm, then it most definitely violates the law or regulation, regardless if no one checks or enforces it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...if a town or county stated that the min acreage to be considered a farm is 5 acres, and someone tries to get 2.5 acres classified as a farm, then it most definitely violates the law or regulation, regardless if no one checks or enforces it.

I agree with you but it wasn't the poster (scraper) that did it. It was a friend.

Tanner

Agreed, SWBradley, but my point is the 'creative friend' that screws the pooch & causes trouble for other people.... much like registering an over 10k pound truck as a 'historic pickup truck' to pay less fees or taxes...

Welcome to the Peoples Republic of MD. I am glad all my deuces are tagged at 9900 lbs. Been doing that for 4 years, so if you got a deuce from me you are safe...I hate this state..
If you get pulled.over by a DOT cop or HP, you can get a ticket for being 3,000 lbs over weight without having any cargo. They have started doing this already in some areas of NC.

My A3 is tagged for 24,000 lbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks