• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Max Deuce Speed

tco3129

Ok I've been reading threads every nite till I'm getting bugeyed so here's the question. Am I being to conservative or repair scared with my deuce? My stock deuce appears to run fine but since I bought it the speedo has seen 50mph once while going downhill and I usually cruise between 40 and 45mph. I read of speeds of 50, 55, and 60mph coming straight from the depot lot. Without perfect matched tires on the rear, I get vibration and drag from the tandems fighting each other. This is my first deuce so I don't want to blow it apart however I would like to know i'ts honest potential.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The basic operators manual(-10) says 45mph.

bratpackdad

I have a two year old engine and I run Firestone T831's. Top speed is around 68 mph
(according to GPS.) With your OG motor and NDT's keep your speed down it will last
longer.;-)

tco3129

The 50mph was indeed accidental. When I saw it I backed off.
I've read the TM's and they sounded reasonable, but I was beginning
to wonder after what I have been reading. Like I said, I'm new at this.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've run mine sustained for 3-4 hrs at 52 MPH, until I hit a hill :roll:. It likes to travel around 48.

littlebob

Like doghead said, they were supposed to run 45. When I was young we passed the convoys all the time and they were doing 45. A friend of mine says he got his way past that. The limit's set were conservative for a reason, longevity. My friend may learn the hard way. My dash panels say top speed 56.
Having said all that, is it diesel or gas. turbo or not. Your engine should be able to make redline, I wouldn't run it there long. If it doesn't get close, there are a lot more questions about fuel filters and such. The TM's are your friend.

ptg530C

2500 r or 58 all day long. i have been beaten in races by fully loaded garbage trucks and cement trucks, from dead digs and on the freeway but i will be ****ed if i am going to run under 50 mph. after all, what do you have to worry about? getting pulled over for speeding? ****, the police usually salute me in the beast.

O.D. Fever

I run mine at 52, Doghead is right at 45 mile convoy speed, 56 max according to the dash plate. 2500 rpm max but don't hold that. It's your engine, use wisely..Joe

OEFISHER

If I'm not paying attention and just let her run where she feels and sounds right it is 53-55 on highway. I have hit 60 but only for very short periods of time. Back roads 45-50.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Mine will run 50 all day long once it is warmed up on stock tires and hauling a heavy load. It will do 45 until it warms up real well. In extremes, I can go a few mph faster but rarely do. If I add JATO to it, the speed is significantly increased. With JATO I fly as long as I have a flat straight open road with no traffic.

Varyag

45 to 50 seems the most comfy for my truck. I know guys like to do 55 and 56 but I can't afford to see what connecting rods look like on the ground on a college budget.

You get to see a lot more going slow anyway.

Well, I feel redline is at 2501 and hit that only momentarily going downhill with a tailwind. I run 50-55 and 2499 RPM as often as I can...which is less often in the hilly environment I live.

Hopefully it holds together!:D

Tire sizes can have a big affect on speed...With these trucks, as you go a bit larger, your speed will increase (GPS Checked) Not looking to start a debate on speedo and tire size.

Its just plain simple....Larger tires will bring your RPM range down, and in most cases with these trucks, you can get additional "actual" speed in that manner.

Remember, these truck are rated for 10K load plus a trailer on the highway. Most of us are driving them nearly empty or very far under the load rating of the trucks.

A

A/C Cages

Mine was doing over 80 mph one time. I was in my Hummer right behind it too. Oh by the way it was on a flatbed. I just bought it and having it delivered.
I have had that truck at 50 under its own power only once. I keep mine 45 to 48 max.

Josh

275 miles @55mph last year, 5 days at the govener in the sand, and 275 miles @ 55mph home didnt seem to hurt the truck one bit.

Barrman

56 mph is mathemetical top speed with stock 9.00-20 tires. 62 is mathematical top speed with 11.00-20 tires.

Mine is "happy" at 2250 rpm and about 48-52 mph according to the gps with 11.00 tires. It really comes down to what you are willing to spend fixing stuff, buying fuel and time working on it. Slower really does translate into better mpg and parts life with these trucks.

Maybe I am just getting older, but the difference between 56 mph and 50 mph over an hours drive is only 6 miles. Have 3 or 4 traffic signals be green at the slower speed and red at the faster and you will get there just at about the same time anyway. Slow is slow and a M35 is almost always going to be slow. Why kill it for not much real difference in arrival time?

Maverick1701

I usually run 45-50mph on the highway...around 20-2300rpm (approx).
It probably can go faster but I dont want my 6cyl to turn into a 5cyl lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks