• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Max Deuce Speed

Flyingvan911

I know a guy who drove deuces and 5 tons for 15 years. As he recalls they would sometimes drive 50-55 several hundred miles or more at a time without any trouble. That was in the 60's and 70's. Once mine is warm I'll run 55. If I was going on a long trip I might back off a little.

Do what you feel comfortable with. There are many post from people with thousands of miles at 55 and some who's engines wouldn't take it. Overall the engines are tough but sometimes you find a weak one.

Last edited:

emr

I do not know about a week one, but think it means one that may have been abused in years passed, we just do not know who treated em right and who romped on em in service, but for the most part they are solid and a very very good solid motor that will run i heard it said from a guy who lived on the moon forever as long as u do not red line it alot, and hey it just makes sense, after all he lived on the moon... :)

rlwm211

There is a huge difference in operator attitude when the operator also is the OWNER

The average military driver did not have to replace engines and deal with the results of driving the multifuel too hard. That leads to an attitude of "what do I care".

I drive my deuce at 52 mph at 2200+/-. Mine has the LDS engine which has better oiling and can actually be run harder but I own my deuce and do not wish to replace the motor because I over revved it on a continuous basis. I also see fuel as being extremely expensive and the slightly lower speed saves fuel. I have plenty of time, but money is always in short supply.

If you are not a believer in the blown LDT motor theory, search for Blown LDT or BLown Multifuel and the threads you read will likely have graphic details showing the carnage that ensues when a Multifuel lets go.

Do what you want to but I would point out that very experienced Deuce Gurus such as JATONKA will tell you 2100-2200 should be your cruise RPM. I listen to those whom I know have more experience than I do.

Just My Two Cents

RL

bugei

i probably should not mention this.

i suspect they actually have a top speed of about 120 miles per hour, but they have to be falling out of an airplane or helicopter with out a chute to achieve that. and i am just guessing, the motor will not be the point of failure. :grd:

colelkhunter

don't know what all the hubbub is about bub. Followed a singles out deuce with 395's and a poor LDS running 63 this weekend. Owned by a member here. Never missed a lick. In the end it is your truck and here is my view---- Run it on the redline until something lets go, then replace it with an LDS multi from a 5 ton. More HP and 3000 rpm redline. The motor the deuces should have come with from the beginning.

colelkhunter

what fun is it having a truck that you let someone else tell you how to drive? would Ricky Bobby have gotten to the status of greatest driver of all time that way? No he wouldn't. And Remember, if your not first your last. WOOOOO!

tco3129

My Deuce was the last of a fleet of 31 M35's used in FEMA cleanup projects for nearly 9 yrs. Mine was his last to sell and supposedly his "BEST". Well maybe, but I am pleased with it's performance so far. THANKS for all the info and opinions. I have a better idea of what COULD be if circumstances called for it.
For now I think I'll be happy with my 40-45mph rides. I guess that's why GOD gave others a passing lane. Thanks Again.

Flyingvan911

i probably should not mention this.

i suspect they actually have a top speed of about 120 miles per hour, but they have to be falling out of an airplane or helicopter with out a chute to achieve that. and i am just guessing, the motor will not be the point of failure. :grd:
So it's not forklift damage after all. GL ships them around the country by next day air!

And I love my LDS. I do try to keep it at about 2,400 or so. It runs 55 at that rpm with no problems except steep hills. If I'm not careful it will creep up toward 60 and 28-2,900 rpm. I avoid this as much as humanly possible.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run my engines at 2300 rpm, with stock tires, whatever that speed is! My best preforming deuce (engine) will only drop to 2100 rpm going up the hills between Columbia and Atlanta fully loaded and pulling the MKT (5,000 pounds). Coming down one of those hills it may creep over 2400 rpm, but if it does I let off the pedal. The farm tractors with the same block (engine) were governed to 2200 rpm under load, and would last 10-15 thousand hours between rebuilds. So if 45 mph = 2200 rpm, then the motor should be able to run at that speed for somewhere between 450,000 and 675,00 miles. Running at red line, the experience based average seems to be about 10,00 miles between engines. Which is easier to afford?

Josh

Most of the time(other then that one trip, now I'm not in such a hurry) I set the hand throttle to keep the truck at 52ish on the highway. Its when the engine sounds the best and seems to have plenty of power to keep her rollin on the freeway, yet not enough to accelerate the truck over 55 on 95% of the downhills I've encountered.

But I have run at sustained periods at 55-56mph and I havent had anything in the engine fail. Doesnt mean it cant happen.

rlwm211

The sad truth in my case is that I have driven so much
in my deuce that I drive my Suburban the SAME SPEEDS!!!!

I look down and I am crusing at 52, maybe 50,
sometimes 48 on a level, clear, straight, dry, nice, highway.
JJJJEEEEESSSSSHHHH!!!!
I figure it is patterned learning where my muscle memory is such that I instinctively drive at that speed.

(This is getting scary)

:jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

RL

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the real test:

Get yourself a good gps device that will show MPH. Borrow your wife's Lexus, drive it 55 and check the GPS to be sure it matches the car's speedo.

Use this GPS to check your speed in the truck.

Larger tires will cause a false reading on a speedo.

Just a thought...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks