• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

May be buying this '84 1009...but....

Asmoday

I have a few concerns. I finally found some M1009's locally and after several phone calls and a recommendation from a friend I was invited to come look at the 2 that are available. The facility had 30 at one time...

The two 1009's are being offered at $5000.00 and both have 66,000 miles on them. One is an '84 and one is an '86. Both are in excellent condition and I was pleasantly surprised as to how good of shape they both are in with one exception...

Both have some interior rust. I was disappointed to find that the '86 still has the rubber mats installed and when I started poking around under the rubber mats I found extensive rust. In fact the rear of the passenger seat mount actually pushed the floor so I decided to pass on that one. I was bummed as everything else was in really nice shape.

The '84 model was even nicer but again...the rubber floor mats were installed for too long and I found some holes in the floorboards near the passenger seat, some the size of about an 1/8" in dia. Just a couple though. My other concern was at the very base just under the seat belt mount on the passenger side and the drivers side there was extensive rust. I could look underneath the rocker panel outside on the passenger side and see through into the cab at this area. Probably a 2" by 7" area rusted through. This was on the side panel under the seat belt mount...not through the floor. Easily fixable?

The cool thing on the '84 was that all the brackets were still in there including the radio tray behind the passenger seat and the M16 rack. I actually found some 5.56 shells in there...LOL.

The "84 ran absolutely great but when I went to drive it it had a transmission problem. The gentlemen I going to do a deal with was shocked as they had been driving it around for the last couple of months and I believe him. He's a straight up guy and highly recommended by a close friend. He was freaked out the trans was DOA...I mean really freaked out... Either the problem was in the trans or the transfer case but the trans would only partially engage at times and slip real bad. I was told if I wanted the '84 that they would throw another trans and/or transfer case in their to make it right so that is VERY tempting.

My biggest concern is the small rust areas. Should I be concerned or are these little areas easily cleaned up and fixed?

They look like they just came of the base and there has been no tampering with electronics etc. which I keep finding on trucks I have looked at locally and online around me.

The pics below are of the '84 which...other than the small rust through areas....was really nice inside. The dash was not even cracked, the rear window rolled down correctly and everything else looked correct.

Is there any difference in desirability with respect to year? '86 0ver '84 for instance?

I always try to get the last model in a series but the '84 is really tempting.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....especially on the rust issues...!

Thanks!!!

Attachments

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They all have rust, rust is very fixable, mechanical items like transmissions are harder and require rebuilds, tear downs etc. I would vote for the rust. Any body shop if you are not comfortable can weld in new metal and it is available at LMC truck and other sources.

Steve

SPCWarning

My $.02

Asmoday,
Welcome! I'm too far away to go and look at them myself, but just by what you've said about the two, the 86 sounds better. Do they both have the same amount of rust in the floors? If so, that is not a determining factor on which one to choose. The transmission problem on the 84 would scare me away from that one UNLESS the p.o. agreed to repair the transmission problem before a deal was made. If he readily agreed to include a spare transmission then maybe there has been a problem with it before??? Floor pans can be replaced relatively easily with the right tools, just be sure to crawl around underneath and look for structural rust (frame, suspension, battery mounting brackets, etc.). If that's clean then it should be ok. I hope this helps, just be sure to perform a THOROUGH inspection on both. Keep us posted on your choice.
Jim

Asmoday

Thanks for the info so far guys...:)

SPCWarning...The seller said that he was going to have his lead mechanic drop in another trans and gearbox before the deal is complete. I offered to give him 10% down and he said not necessary but I gave it to him on good faith as I trust him. Can't go into the why's but I am safe.

The rust on the '86 model is far worse than on the '84. The '84 is actually in better shape especially inside and more complete. The engine compartment of the '84 also looked fantastic and intact.

SPCWarning

SPCWarning...The seller said that he was going to have his lead mechanic drop in another trans and gearbox before the deal is complete. I offered to give him 10% down and he said not necessary but I gave it to him on good faith as I trust him. Can't go into the why's but I am safe.

The rust on the '86 model is far worse than on the '84. The '84 is actually in better shape especially inside and more complete. The engine compartment of the '84 also looked fantastic and intact.
Sounds like the 86 is the way to go then! It's good to deal with people you can trust. They are getting harder to find these days. I know you're excited about it. I've had mine a couple months now and can't go outside the house without at least walking around it! I guess I got the fever. What plans do you have for your CUCV? Restore to original? Mine's just going to be painted asap (still not sure woodland, desert, or green), and kept in the best condition I can keep it in. It's already my daily driver and will probably stay that way for a while. Keep us posted on your purchase and updated on your MV! Thanks,
Jim

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I believe that Paul Harvey said it best, "now we know the rest of the story" That would change things.aua

cucv1833

Wecome to the site.

That 84 is sounding like a good deal especially if he put new tranny in. Sounds like you like that one more. Dont let a little floor pan rust scare you away. I had a few 1/8" rust pin holes in mine. I just put a little bondo on it and hurculined coated over the top and never looked back. But like said earlier you can properly fix that issue.

Good luck keep us posted

mikelee

Consider the age they are not new. Here in Michigan they are hard to find salted roads ate them away. On a good note they are cheap to replace metal. Good luck on your purchase. For what it is worth do the Doghead relay. This will save your starter...Trust me on this. He has postings on here. Just do a search. Tons of info here . good luck :D

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They all have rust, rust is very fixable, mechanical items like transmissions are harder and require rebuilds, tear downs etc. I would vote for the rust. Any body shop if you are not comfortable can weld in new metal and it is available at LMC truck and other sources.
Steve
I gotta say I don't get this thread. They don't all have rust especially on the west coast. Transmissions are easy to swap in a couple hours and cheap. Go to a body shop and ask their hourly rate. I'd do a transmission swap in a second before fixing rust. If it has rust i'd avoid it period.

Asmoday

Well....the more I think about it the more I lean towards the '84. The main reason being this...

When I was inspecting the '84's interior it all looked good. The brackets on the dash did not look corroded nor did the big radio bracket and the gauge panel looked nice as well. But...most of all....and this may sound odd to some...the shifter lever's chrome on the column looked almost new.

Now the shifter lever on the '86 was severely rusted. Essentially no chrome left. A little voice is telling me that there was A LOT of moisture trapped in the cab for a long time. This concerns me because of what I can't see like the electrical connections behind the dash. How corroded are they if the chrome is all rusted on the shifter level as well as the radio bracket and such on the dash?

I have owned exotic British cars and every car I have ever seen that leaked and trapped water on the inside had corrosion on the electrics....bad corrosion.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing, 5K is very high even for CA. Have you tried 100 dollar man in CA? His web site shows 3500-3900.

Asmoday

hndrsonj...Thanks for the recommendation and yes...I tried him...well...so to speak. I called him a few times with no answer and never was able to connect. I finally was able to leave a message and did get a return call but I missed it since I was out on a flight contract. His message was "I don't have any"...LOL. I tried calling back several times since I had a few questions still and even sent two emails through the website. Nothing...no call backs and no email replies. Oh well...:sad:

As for Kali prices.....All I can tell you is that finding a descent M1009 these days in the 5K range is VERY difficult. Sure I have found some through CL but all the ones I have found UNMOLESTED are not going for 5k. One of the last local ones I saw sold for 7K. There is a M1008 owned locally here...very close to me, on the all mighty auction site that is up to an insane amount of money.

I want a totally stock...unmolested military specimen and this brings a higher premium out here. I have watched the GL scene for a while but I am not in a position to go look at these and even at their selling prices....once I add the transport cost back to me, it's a wash.

forest522

I have to agree with Hndrsonj - swapping out the tranny is not that big of a deal in comparison to the time and effort of completely eradicating rust. Consider that is why the seller was so ready to pop one in there for you to close the deal.

I am a proud '84 M1009 owner and was able to find mine for far less. Of course it has far more issues. But after a IP and some TLC, it runs like a champ - but it has rust too. These are all on the list for fixing. LMC is going to love me!

Got any handy friends? Welding is not a difficult as it appears, and this obsession begs the affected to be willing to fix things...alot.2cents

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If thats the place I think it is...He rents the trucks out to movie companies, so they all get a nice paint job when he gets them. Dont let the nice paint fool you, check over everything!

nattieleather

IMHO that truck has been repainted. The paint is two crisp for it to be the original paint job. If its been repainted then what other things are hidden...paint especially camo hide a lot of sins. If they are going to put a new (I read that as a good take out) transmission in the truck that will be a benefit. Remember these are army trucks GIs with muddy rain soaked boots jumped in and out of the truck and when it go to muddy they took a hose and spraid the inside of the truck out. If the truck had rubber mats installed they didn't pull them just hosed it out and went on about their business. Water could sit and do it's evil. So, don't let a little rust scare you off if this is the truck you really want.