• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MD3070PT engine upgrade

MD3070 LMTV

Hi folks

I have an Allison MD3070PT 7 speed transmission fitted with a 3904172 bell housing which i think suits a Cummins 6BT engine.

I am looking for which CAT or Cummins engines i can bolt up to that bell housing , or alternatively looking for bell housing # numbers to adapt to the SAE # 2 face on the Allison housing.

I have a pretty good choice of engines available such as CAT 3115 , 3116 , 3126 or Cummins 6BT up to ISL8.9 , just depends on what adaptors are available ? , i have enough space for any of those , the power train will go into a Tatra 6 x 6 chassis.

The transmission appears to cope with up to 300 Hp

Can anyone share opinions on engine swaps ?

thankyou

Last edited:

MD3070 LMTV

Well the standard engine is the 3116/3126/C7 but the later “civilianized” trucks had Cummins 6.7 so any of those should work.
But honestly you lost me at “I have a good choice of engines for cheap”😂
cheap is relative , i suspect you might be getting them "cheaper" than i do.

I see low hour engines from $ 2500 upwards and rebuilt engines with dyno paperwork from $ 2500 - 8000 if you know where to look.

I would be happy with the horses from 3126E or later