• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mechanicsburg recovery

Mechanicsburg recovery...UPDATED 12-12-08

(Updated 12-12-08. See last paragraph)

Got my Duece today! It's my first and I had a blast driving it 127 miles back home. Took 2 1/2 hours and 1/2 a tank of fuel but it ran great. On the PA Turnpike it Cruised at 55mph @ 2500 RPM. It flirted with the redline cresting hills.

Batteries are good. No jump needed. 1/4 tank of fuel. Has roadside emergency triangles in the tool box as well as tire iron and air hose with tire chuck. First aid kit in the glove box & log book. Up to date fire extinguisher (serviced Jan. 08 ). Canvass and bed are in good shape. Tires with pretty good tread depth.

Not confident the data plate is accurate. There is no manufacture listed and has a short old style vin number. Ran it by DDoyle and he thinks it's a 1953 REO. So, i'll have to find the number off the frame to see if it matches what I got. The paint on the hood doesn't match the access panels and the bed frame underneath doesn't match the truck frame. I'm starting to think I might have a mash up.

Words of advice for first timers:

Get good directions if you've never been there before. Didn't expect the GL warehouse to be at a Naval base (nowhere near the ocean).

If the GL pictures of your truck show a little bit of surface rust. Then it is worse in person.

Don't be afraid to ask for help from fellow Steel Soldiers who are there picking up too. I got some help testing for Hydrostatic Lock, checking fluids and starting up, as well as a few pointers not covered in any manuals.

After stopping for gas, remember to release the parking brake. :roll:

If the Make and Year isn't listed on the GL auction it aint gonna be on your data plate when you pick it up. Which creates a couple of hoops I'll have to jump thru when it comes to SF97, titling, registration, and insurance.

All in all a very easy recovery.

**Update: Today I finally received my Antique plate and PA registration for my duece! It took two weeks from the time I sent in my SF-97, etc. to the state. I took all my paperwork to my state representative and his staff walked me through everything. I did need a state inspection mechanic to verify my vin but that didn't cost me anything but a few days delay.

PA antiques are one time registration fee no yearly inspections required. Check out my plate. I blotted out some letters but picture of the antique car sticks out like a sore thumb. Not sure if that'll be to out of place. I like the fact that I have the number 21 on the plate. My favorite number. I even set my bridge plate numbers to 21. I'm a dork...hehe.

All together from first time GL auction win to street legal in 3 months. Can anyone say joyride? :grin:

Attachments

Last edited:

FreightTrain

Banned
it is an older style with the flippable headlight panels.Check the inner fenders.If they are level past the side panel instead of angled directly after the panels then it more than likely is an early gasser truck converted.Bed has been replaced with a newer style.The early 50s truck I think had the plug flush mounted and the later one had the square hole.The tail light brackets are early style too with the reflector hanging off the side.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was nice to have met you at the base. I am glad I could help. You have a nice truck there...by the way, it just might be a 1953 Reo. The truck originally had an electric horn...only the older trucks had electric horns. There is nothing wrong with owning a truck that was a converted gasser and, in fact, you probably have a more interesting piece of history than someone with a slightly newer truck. The truck seemed to run really nicely...C turbo and all! Congrats!

I like how some spots have paint with brush strokes. Real classy. This weekend + me x angle grinder + Krylon Camo rattle cans = sweet.

I was gonna name my truck "What". As in, "What the Duece!" But when I saw her I said now that's a real Ugly Betty. So, from now on she's "The Real Ugly Betty."

Attachments

Last edited:

apsychotic

Gettn Legal,

Did you already have some insurance or temporary plate on your truck? Or did you just drive it the way it was? Just wondering if they give you flack athe guard shack when leaving?

At the entrance they just ask for your drivers license and the registration of the vehicle you came in. You get a temp photo Id & visitors pass. When you leave you turn them back in but they don't ask for anything else. I got insurance before hand but just winged it on a temp tag. I had about five state troopers pass me on the Turnpike and not one of them batted an eye. It didn't hurt that I saw about ten active duty or guard vehicles on the road so I didn't look out of place.

rockman

Is that a new plate design. My PA antique plate was a light purple. Good luck with the body work and remember, it is not a shiny corvette.

Bill

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks