• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meet Mr Rusty

cucvrus

I was able to return the steering column to its original position by loosening all the bolts and giving it a good pull back. I did all the repairs and have 1/2 the cab sanded. I am moving right along on this project. Thank you for looking. I will get pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:

jpg

I have hit a few things under snow that made the truck stop fast.
Boston piles the plowed snow in a lot by the harbor. When it finally melted, July 15, it left behind fire hydrants, manhole covers, car doors, trash cans, and whatever else the plows picked up. Fire hydrants!?!?!? You'd think someone would have noticed a leak in the plumbing...

cucvrus

I hit cars and shoved them over the guard rails and never knew I hit them. The state hauls cars off the interstate highways with a front end loader after 48 hours of sitting. I seen some nice stuff get the loader and chain treatment. I seen them stacked up along the road 3 high already. So I know what snow plows can do. I pushed a 40 ft 6" structural I beam in front of my plow for a while before I knew why the parked cars were moving around way up ahead of me. Then when I came to a turn it looked like the McDonald's arches when it caught a curb and bent. It fell on the hood and roof of a parked car that was parked in a snow emergency route and they (state) paid $0. to the owner. It was illegally parked. Go figure.

the skull

I hit cars and shoved them over the guard rails and never knew I hit them. The state hauls cars off the interstate highways with a front end loader after 48 hours of sitting. I seen some nice stuff get the loader and chain treatment. I seen them stacked up along the road 3 high already. So I know what snow plows can do. I pushed a 40 ft 6" structural I beam in front of my plow for a while before I knew why the parked cars were moving around way up ahead of me. Then when I came to a turn it looked like the McDonald's arches when it caught a curb and bent. It fell on the hood and roof of a parked car that was parked in a snow emergency route and they (state) paid $0. to the owner. It was illegally parked. Go figure.

Hahahahaha
Rick, sounds like you guys in Pennsylvania like to have some naughty fun

cucvrus

004.jpgThis is my favorite tool that I have. With out I would be lost. I was working on a 1978 F150 today. It was priceless today. If used properly it can saves hours and hours of hard work. Saves your back and your tools.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
in our world (old trucks and the rust belt) all would be lost , remember 2 guys garage? those guys have no idea what rust is, with no torches in our world you might just as well go back to bed,

cucvrus

I had to get the rose bud out tonight. The rear pintle hook was frozen into the bumper bracket and the nut would not come off. Does anyone know the size of the nut on back of the pintle hook? I want to pick up a socket for that nut. I do not have any sockets that big. I wonder what a Snap-On socket costs that size? Probably the same as a Harbor freight socket. ;)

cucvrus

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpgI started the repair of Mr Rusty's rear step bumper. I burnt off all the bolts and set up some blocks of wood to do some pounding with the porta power and the sledge hammer.

cucvrus

006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg011.jpg012.jpgI was able to hammer ,dolly, pry , and jack the rear bumper back into shape. the rear side braces are straight again and I torched the 2 holes thru the rear bumper for the Grote LED stop, tail, turn, and back up lamp assembly. I want to have the bumpers , brush guard and grille painted on Saturday. I am down to the bed getting it to fit does not seem to be an issue. remember I am using a trailer body for the bed. I think it is a M101 trailer. I have no ID on the trailer. I will put LED side clearance lamps on the truck /trailer body when I install it. Once again the torch was my tool of choice tonight. I would still be trying to get the 1/2" bolts out of the bumper brackets. I burnt them all off and put them in the recycling can. I cut the rear bumper supports off that go to the underside of the bumper. I am putting the license plate in the normal center area that housed the pintle hook. And I have a new frame style class 3 receiver to install on Mr. Rusty. Stay posted. Thank you for looking. The rust is getting less and less at this point.

cucvrus

005.jpg010.jpgI pulled all the tape off of Mr Rusty and cleaned his windows a bit. I put the door seals back in and am in the process of talking the owner into getting the interior sprayed in Line X tan. He wants to get the bed sprayed also. I thought that was over kill due to the fact that the trailer bed was galvanized. I like the tan Line X it really brightens up the interior. Thank you for looking. Maybe next time I post Mr. Rusty will have a face again.

cucvrus

I had to get the rose bud out tonight. The rear pintle hook was frozen into the bumper bracket and the nut would not come off. Does anyone know the size of the nut on back of the pintle hook? I want to pick up a socket for that nut. I do not have any sockets that big. I wonder what a Snap-On socket costs that size? Probably the same as a Harbor freight socket. ;)
I am going to make a quick guess on the size of the pintle nut. I measured it with a tape measure. Is the nut on the back of the Pintle Hook 1 7/8"? I don't have a socket that big so I am in search off just so I have one the next time I need one. Ebay looks like the bargain site for big Snap-On sockets. FYI. 1 7/8". Am I correct?

cucvrus

I bought a socket at the hardware store $18. American. It was a direct fit. The 48mm is probably close to that. I would think it was a standard nut back in the day. Thank you. No more C clamp wrenches for the pintle nut.

cucvrus

001 - Copy.jpg002 - Copy.jpg003 - Copy.jpg004.jpg005.jpgSanded a few parts and prepared for some painting tomorrow. The Starbucks container was not the best choice for the remaining paint last week. But it fit and it worked. i could take it back to the store and tell them it tastes a bit funny. The pintle is not going back on Mr Rusty. I am mounting a frame mounted hitch Class 3 type. That will be better for the type of towing the owner does. I will post pictures tomorrow.

cucvrus

010.jpg009.jpg011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg016.jpgMore painted parts for Mr Rusty. A few bolts and he will be on his way. It is getting a bit cold here in PA and I have to get this painting done every chance I get. I have other customers waiting. No more paint work this year. Unless we get some nice weekends and evenings after work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks