• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Members in Northern Virginia?

L1A1

Good day to all,
For the longest time I've wanted to explore some of the PUB trails in and around Harrisburg. I believe they are in the G.W forest.
I'm curious to know if anyone is familiar with these trails? I'm waiting on approval to join a local jeep forum, I'm sure the guys on there have been on these trails.
I'm looking for a place that's not too challenging but fun, where I can pull off and camp the night/park and hike around with my dog and just get out in the woods with my rig and some friends and my pooch.
Thanks for the input
Do you mean Harrisonburg? I live about 10 mins from the GW National Forest. Most of the trails (on either side of Rt.33W)from the edge of the city up to the foot of the mountains have been blocked to vehicular traffic save for one or two. During deer season, some of the gated roads are opened up for hunter access. There is some nice scenery to be viewed in the fall.

hoplite666

Do you mean Harrisonburg? I live about 10 mins from the GW National Forest. Most of the trails (on either side of Rt.33W)from the edge of the city up to the foot of the mountains have been blocked to vehicular traffic save for one or two. During deer season, some of the gated roads are opened up for hunter access. There is some nice scenery to be viewed in the fall.
Yes, Harrisonburg sorry.
Hunting access and fire roads aside there are dedicated off highway vehicle trails.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev3_000477

Never done any of them before so curious which ones if any are along the lines of what im looking for.

Last edited:

L1A1

Yes, Harrisonburg sorry.
Hunting access and fire roads aside there are dedicated off highway vehicle trails.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev3_000477

Never done any of them before so curious which ones if any are along the lines of what im looking for.
Yes there are. But all those in that link are up in Shenandoah County. Harrisonburg is in Rockingham County. There are a few ATV trails around here but don't get caught on 'em with a vehicle registered for on/off road use.

I can think of a few that would be "right up your alley". PM me for details.
Matt

hoplite666

I've got a lady friend out in Quicksburg. I'm always lumping the valley and Harrisonburg together. I guess I mean down in that general area.
thanks

CGarbee

I grew up in Lynchburg (Central VA), but have family located between Charlottesville and Washington, DC.
They own a large farm/resort in Madison County that backs up to the Shenandoah National Park
We have a rally and trailrides on the farm each year over the Labor Day weekend.

The thread for more info is located at:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?142443-2015-Va-Rally-at-Graves-Mountain-September-3-7

You all should sign up and attend. It's a great way to meet other folks who are in the area, trailride, and otherwise enjoy the hobby.

ross165123

Anyone around the Phenix VA are that has a PTO or Hydraulic winch they can show me. Thinking about getting one or the other but as recommended by other members i should see them first. Its hard to find a 809 series winch other the all the do-dads and everything.

Another Ahab

Anyone around the Phenix VA area that has a PTO or Hydraulic winch they can show me. Thinking about getting one or the other but as recommended by other members i should see them first. Its hard to find a 809 series winch other the all the do-dads and everything.
I'm sorry I can't help you there about the winch, but I'm sure somebody will pipe up.

Just curious though, I don't know Phenix; what part of the state are you in, Tidewater? Southwest?

L1A1

According to Hoop, there are a few 800 series owners in (or around?) Lynchburg. That's about 40 miles away from you.

Another Ahab: Phenix,Va is southwest of Richmond.
Matt

pevrs114

I'm not in NOVA but this seems to have evolved into a Virginia meet and greet.

I I live in Nottoway county, I have been here or Farmville since 1998 when I came to college. After a decade in the workforce I am again a full time student, traveling 70 miles each way every day to Lynchburg.

I I used to have an M1028 (technically I still have it, it got crushed by a tree and I'm slowly parting it out).

I also own an M116A2 that I bought from Chief 919, which I will slap an S-250 shelter on to make a mobile camper. My brother (Stranger75) and I are going to pull it behind the F-350 that I'm modifying and go to Prudhoe Bay, AK.

Other than that, I'm saving up for a 5 ton. Got my heart set on a wrecker, as it will be the most useful.

Another Ahab

I'm not in NOVA but this seems to have evolved into a Virginia meet and greet.

I I live in Nottoway county, I have been here or Farmville since 1998 when I came to college. After a decade in the workforce I am again a full time student, traveling 70 miles each way every day to Lynchburg.

I I used to have an M1028 (technically I still have it, it got crushed by a tree and I'm slowly parting it out).

I also own an M116A2 that I bought from Chief 919, which I will slap an S-250 shelter on to make a mobile camper. My brother (Stranger75) and I are going to pull it behind the F-350 that I'm modifying and go to Prudhoe Bay, AK.

Other than that, I'm saving up for a 5 ton. Got my heart set on a wrecker, as it will be the most useful.
You mean like a tree falling on it; nobody in it (I hope)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks