• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002 Fuel Line Replacement/Upgrade

DeucesWild11

So I finally have my unit running well and noticed a leak in the hose going to the IP. I looked to see if there was somewhere I could buy one but no luck. I heard a hydraulic shop may be able to make one for ya but it was Sunday and God did not bless me with patience. Here is my workaround which I also consider an upgrade as the old hose was always a pain to get off and on as it would turn with the nut and kink up.

If you want to do the change or need to replace yours here are the parts you will need. I went to Autozone for the brake line and Home Depot for the other brass parts.

1 - 3/8" x 12" Steel Brake line (already flared with nuts on both ends)
1 - 3/8" Flare Nut - Watts A-160
1 - 3/8" FL x 1/4" MIP Union - Watts LFA-182

You could probably get by with a shorter brake line as I cut off about 4" or so. I then slipped on the Flare nut and flared the end of the brake line appropriately. Then I bent it as shown in the pics to meet up with the connection from the fuel line from the last filter and to the IP.

Here are some pics so you can see what I am talking about.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember in the future, you now have 45 degree fittings along with 37 degree fittings on your machine.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You used 45 degree flared fittings for your replacement parts. You replaced from pipe thread to pipe thread, so your repair will work fine.

The Generator uses 37 degree fittings for all of the fuel lines, originally. This is standard.

DeucesWild11

Wow, now I learned something new today. Thanks for the info, I am glad I didn't try to match a 45 degree to a 37! That would have drove me nuts!

Good info to remember, thanks!

edgephoto

I plan to replace all the hose on mine. The fittings are aircraft fittings. The hose is an aircraft hose. Not cheap like $7-8/ft. Occasionally on certain sites some 2-3 foot pieces show up cheaper than buying a cut piece.

1800 Diesel

I plan to replace all the hose on mine. The fittings are aircraft fittings. The hose is an aircraft hose. Not cheap like $7-8/ft. Occasionally on certain sites some 2-3 foot pieces show up cheaper than buying a cut piece.
Assuming you already know this but in case not the fuel lines on the MEP002A & MEP003A machines have reusable fittings where you only need to buy the hose itself when a hose goes bad. Changing them out is not easy but it is possible as I just replaced 3 hoses on one I have in the shop. The one in DeucesWild11 1st photo contains swaged-type fittings which are obviously not reusable, but I haven't come across those on any set I worked on. Generally, all the fuel hoses on these sets contain SS reusable fittings.

Recently I was asked to get one running in the field and had to use push-in brass 37-degree fittings with nylon-reinforced fuel hose (not wire like the OEM hoses). These are very reasonably priced and will provide good service but removes the originality of the set and likely is not Mil-spec.

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

Yes I know the hose can be replaced on the original fittings. In the summer I will likely do this.
The wholesaler I deal with insisted it couldn't be done without a mandrel rig & they were almost correct...like I said it can be done with a vice and a lot of wrist/arm power and I also learned a few tricks that made the job easier. Also, I believe I got the OEM type hose for well under $7/ft...I think it was more like $5.50/ft??? Will have to locate the invoice...if you need any more info, send up a flare.... :)

edgephoto

The wholesaler I deal with insisted it couldn't be done without a mandrel rig & they were almost correct...like I said it can be done with a vice and a lot of wrist/arm power and I also learned a few tricks that made the job easier. Also, I believe I got the OEM type hose for well under $7/ft...I think it was more like $5.50/ft??? Will have to locate the invoice...if you need any more info, send up a flare.... :)
I have considered buying the mandrel. I usually buy the tools to do a job. I have one unit and a friend has one. Then I can always sell it.

DeucesWild11

I am considering mounting a 50 gallon fuel tank in front of the unit as it's on a trailer (old 5 gallon tank is shot). I need to re-balance the COG on the trailer due to the weight of the fuel so I get that part. I will need probably 4-5 foot of hose for the fuel line and return line so around 10 ft in total, and will have to plumb it into the new tank. Anyone have a website that I can go to for parts?

edgephoto

I am considering mounting a 50 gallon fuel tank in front of the unit as it's on a trailer (old 5 gallon tank is shot). I need to re-balance the COG on the trailer due to the weight of the fuel so I get that part. I will need probably 4-5 foot of hose for the fuel line and return line so around 10 ft in total, and will have to plumb it into the new tank. Anyone have a website that I can go to for parts?
If you plan to use the Aeroquip fittings this place has them. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/aq491.php?clickkey=4474

I have also seen them offered on ebay now and then.

Jimc

i know military stuff is always done way overkill but the high psi fuel lines with those heavy aeroquip ends that that prob handle 1500psi are a pia to put on are not really needed. aeroquip has 250psi rated line and fitting which is way more than enough to handle the prob 6-7 psi that the fuel pumps produce. the ends are like a hose barb fitting. you just put a little oil on them and the hose, a little heat from a heat gun and they slide right on and will never come off. i have a 100ft airhose in my shop made from this stuff. best line you'll ever have. lol. here is a link.

http://www.karlperformance.com/product.cfm?InvKey=1477

zoltarp

i know military stuff is always done way overkill but the high psi fuel lines with those heavy aeroquip ends that that prob handle 1500psi are a pia to put on are not really needed. aeroquip has 250psi rated line and fitting which is way more than enough to handle the prob 6-7 psi that the fuel pumps produce. the ends are like a hose barb fitting. you just put a little oil on them and the hose, a little heat from a heat gun and they slide right on and will never come off. i have a 100ft airhose in my shop made from this stuff. best line you'll ever have. lol. here is a link.

http://www.karlperformance.com/product.cfm?InvKey=1477
I know this is an old post but I would like to ask if the parts I have links to are the correct ones to make up some replacement fuel hoses
for my MEP-002A with. I also wanted to share these because of the awesome prices compared to other places I looked.

Hose
http://autoplicity.com/products/280051-aeroquip_fcn0615_aqp_socketless_hose_15ft_hose.aspx

AN Fitting
http://autoplicity.com/products/337980-aeroquip_fce1512_aqp_socketless_fitting_06an_hose_size.aspx

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks