• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002- How far can the injector pump be off and still run?

hurst01

My injector pump went out last year. When I had time to work on it I couldn't remember, when I remembered I didn't have time to work on it. Now that we have had some bad weather coming I made the time to assemble a pump and put it on. I aligned the PC marks and installed it. When I first tried it didn't start. I turned the prime pumps on and loosened the drain cocks on the bottom of the fuel filters. I could hear air being pushed out of the canisters, a bit of spurting and then steady fuel. After closing the petcocks I primed and preheated again. It fired up and runs extremely good. I ran it for about a half an hour two different times. I also started and stopped it several times while checking for output which will be in another post.
I was thinking about it today and I realized that I didn't take the 1/8" rod and align the injector pump before installing itaua. I can't believe it started but it seems to run perfectly.

rustystud

My injector pump went out last year. When I had time to work on it I couldn't remember, when I remembered I didn't have time to work on it. Now that we have had some bad weather coming I made the time to assemble a pump and put it on. I aligned the PC marks and installed it. When I first tried it didn't start. I turned the prime pumps on and loosened the drain cocks on the bottom of the fuel filters. I could hear air being pushed out of the canisters, a bit of spurting and then steady fuel. After closing the petcocks I primed and preheated again. It fired up and runs extremely good. I ran it for about a half an hour two different times. I also started and stopped it several times while checking for output which will be in another post.
I was thinking about it today and I realized that I didn't take the 1/8" rod and align the injector pump before installing itaua. I can't believe it started but it seems to run perfectly.
If it is "out of time" it will start to heat up and eventually stop running after about 1/2hr. So it appears you lucked out and got it timed right !

hurst01

I read the thread posted by Sewerzuk. His tests were done with concerns to the "button" and were very informative. However when I installed my injector pump I don't have a clue as to where the orientation of the pump was when it was installed. I aligned the PC marks but the orientation of the IP was pot luck. I am going to pull it after the Thanksgiving holidays and make sure it is set right, there is no way I could have been lucky enough for the notches to have been aligned correctly before install. Thanks fr the input.

dangier

Ed,
Maybe you lucked out or it is "close enough". When I first started fooling with these things, I ended up with an 002 with the IP 3 teeth out. Ran, but didn't seem to have the hp. Did not run it more than a few minutes though.
Good luck!
David

hurst01

OK, finally got around to checking the timing on the injector pump. As was said before, I had the PC marks aligned and forgot to align the injector pump. I was in a hurry because I was freezing my tail off. Instead of totally removing the IP, I put a 1/8" rod in the screw hole of the pump and slowly rotated the crank until the rod went in the slot of the IP, loosened all 4 nuts for the IP as far as I felt safe before the nuts came off the studs and pulled the pump back to clear the gear. I then rotated the blower until the PC marks came up on the #1 cylinder compression stroke. Once the marks were aligned I slid the pump to the block and tightened the nuts.

I figure the IP was off at least 6 teeth of the gear. I am surprised it ran. I also replaced the glow plug for #1 cylinder because it was swollen... good thing I have a bunch of them. After priming and preheating, it fired and puffed a bunch of black smoke and took off. Something is wrong with my Reconnection Switch because it will not produce power in the 120/240 1 Phase position. As I posted in another thread, when in the 120/208 3 PH position and the selector switch in the L1-L3 1 Phase (far right) position I can get 120V from L0-L1 and L0-L3, and 240V from L1-L3. Less than 5 Volts from L0-L2. It does not make sense. A problem for another day I guess.

Anyway, it is running as it should. I haven't tried it under a load as of yet, my wife does not want to have to reset all the clocks and timers throughout the house when I kill the power just to try it.

Keith_J

Timing is set by the cam and shims, the gear driven rotation is just distribution, given the slot/hole overlap is a few degrees, you can be off a tooth and still run pretty good.