• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a AC voltage regulator replacement?

Isaac-1

Well it looks like the output transistor on my MEP-002a has went out for the second time since buying it this year (no I did not idle the engine), when I started it today to try to track down whatever is causing the battery to drain I saw the voltage had spiked (156VAC regardless of adjustment on front panel knob). So I am now debating doing a full check of the VR board, diodes, etc. vs. dropping in a more modern replacement, which leads to my 2 questions:

1, has anyone replaced the AC voltage regulator on a MEP-002a or MEP-003a with something more modern?

2, Any thought on what may be blowing these transistors, this last one lasted less than 2 hours worth of run time (assuming the high voltage is really from the transistor again)?.

thanks Ike

p.s. off to study the TM, I have a YD series Onan VR-21 in a dead DJE that I might try to swap in, should be close to right, if the reference voltage is right, off hand does anyone know if the MEP-002a uses 120V reference?

Robbied46

I had a 003 with high voltage. With Speddmon's help, I tracked it down to the secondary windings on cvt1. I replaced it and all went back to normal. One of the symptoms I had was that the resistor kept burning out on the bridge rectifier. I wish I could tell you something about the vr but I'm not that knowledgeable. This could be something to check if all else fails.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks