• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a AC voltage regulator replacement?

Isaac-1

Well it looks like the output transistor on my MEP-002a has went out for the second time since buying it this year (no I did not idle the engine), when I started it today to try to track down whatever is causing the battery to drain I saw the voltage had spiked (156VAC regardless of adjustment on front panel knob). So I am now debating doing a full check of the VR board, diodes, etc. vs. dropping in a more modern replacement, which leads to my 2 questions:

1, has anyone replaced the AC voltage regulator on a MEP-002a or MEP-003a with something more modern?

2, Any thought on what may be blowing these transistors, this last one lasted less than 2 hours worth of run time (assuming the high voltage is really from the transistor again)?.

thanks Ike

p.s. off to study the TM, I have a YD series Onan VR-21 in a dead DJE that I might try to swap in, should be close to right, if the reference voltage is right, off hand does anyone know if the MEP-002a uses 120V reference?

Robbied46

I had a 003 with high voltage. With Speddmon's help, I tracked it down to the secondary windings on cvt1. I replaced it and all went back to normal. One of the symptoms I had was that the resistor kept burning out on the bridge rectifier. I wish I could tell you something about the vr but I'm not that knowledgeable. This could be something to check if all else fails.