• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a and MEP-003a DC Charging System Test

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Testing the DC voltage regulator in 5 easy steps

Step 1

With the set OFF, measure DC Voltage at the regulator wire that is marked with the red band. Should be around 24 to 24.5 volts DC...Is it??

Step 2

If so, DO NOT disconnect anything and start the generator. Now measure for DC Voltage at the regulator red banded wire again. This time it should be 26 to 28 volts DC give or take (in reality anything higher than you read with the set off will charge the batteries)...Is it?? If it is proceed to Step 3, If it is not skip to Step 5.

Step 3

If it is, measure the DC Voltage at the batteries positive and negative terminals. This voltage should be the same 26 to 28 Volts DC. If it is, then your charging system is working properly.

Step 4

If it is not, check the fuse located right above the oil filter canister; if it is bad replace it and test the voltage at the batteries again. If the voltage is now reading 26 to 28 volts everything is good.

Step 5

If you do not have 26 to 28 volts at the red marked wire on the regulator, with the set still running measure AC Voltage at the 2 leads coming from the stator under the blower wheel. This voltage should be around 33 volts AC +/-....is it??

If it is, then your regulator is not working. If it is not then your stator is possibly bad.

That's the jist of it, the charging system on these things is pretty straight forward

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to put it in, that would be good. I made this thread a sticky so hopefully people might actually read it before the start asking about how to test their charging system

MidKnightBomber

Does this test procedure work step by step for the MEP016B (or 701A)?

also where is the mep016b wiki? I looked but can't find it...sorry if it's staring me in the face. I found some for the 002 and 003 but not the 16b

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably not. This is a permanent magnet type of stator. Pull the blower wheel off and clean any paint and crud off of the magnets and from around the stator and then try it again and see if that doesn't help your voltage increase.

I

87Nassaublue

Does this test procedure work step by step for the MEP016B (or 701A)?

also where is the mep016b wiki? I looked but can't find it...sorry if it's staring me in the face. I found some for the 002 and 003 but not the 16b
My stator on my 016B was only putting out 17 volts AC. I decided to add an external charger and run it off the 110 ac. The chargers I got were 12 volt and are automatic and will change to a trickle charge when the battery is up to charge. They were walmart returns I got from a salvage place for $10 each. I figured I'd wire then so you can plug it into wall current for maintenance.

jamawieb

I know it, me too. I bought one from green mountain for $100 thinking it was new because it was so expensive, after I received it found out it was used. Sent it back and bought Triple Jim's for $149. I've also used the weather proof 110volt 24volt chargers that I would plug into the outlet on the genset. I like it but they don't last long with all the vibration. They claim to be weather and vibration proof proof but after sitting in the sun for about a year they erode.

I know this is old. My MEP-003a has 24v DC at the red banded regulator wire with the set off. It also has the same voltage with the set on. The two leads coming from the stator read 22.52v AC between them with the set running. I pulled the blower wheel and cleaned the stator with brake cleaner and I wire brushed the magnet inside the wheel and wiped it clean afterwards. No change in AC voltage coming from the stator. Does this mean I need a new stator?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks