• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002a Help

holley68

I recently bought a mep-002a in rough condition. Missing a couple of fuel lines and the voltage adjust switch. I was going to go through it just to make sure it's not worth saving first. I've pulled one fuel pump and clean it out. Was going to check to see if it worked. Hooked up two batteries and nothing. I am getting 24 volts from the batteries to the gen but nothing is happening. Battery indicator not moving. Check both connects by swapping the cables around. Still nothing.

Any suggestions?

holley68

Thanks about the push pull breaker. It was pushed in. Still no luck. Where is the ground strap for the cabinet? I thought I had something to check the connection. I'll be picking that up tomorrow with a Allen socket to take the fuel injector pump off.

Does it matter which side the positive is on? I didn't think it did with a 24v.

Last edited:

jamawieb

The ground strap is on the bottom of the (cabinet). Also, YES it matters how the batteries are hooked up. The positive comes off the starter solenoid and the negative goes to the stud on the side of the starter. Batteries need to go Positive+ (from starter solenoid), negative- (post), positive+ (post), negative- (stud on side of starter).

holley68

Got power. It was the push pull breaker thanks. Now to start cleaning the other fuel pump and take apart the fuel injector pump. Going to be a long road. Any suggestions.

I am also in need of fuel/oil filters, air filter with housing, and voltage adjust. Any suggestions

Last edited:

Isaac-1

What do you mean by voltage adjust? If you are talking about the knob, I think you can use just about any common potentiometer, I think 750 ohm 2 watt, but that is from memory so double check it.

holley68

Thanks, Isaac. I didn't know what it was called. So I think I've found everything online. Going to order it this week and hope to have all next week so I can find out what else is wrong. It'll give me time to clean the other two fuel pumps.

holley68

Goes, do I need to have the voltage adjustment (rheostat) installed to run the mep002. I ordered one only but not sure when it will ship.

holley68

I got smoke. Still think I have some air in the lines. It'll start but as soon as I release the switch it cuts off. The Hertz gauge is maxed out when it is running. Is this normal? Do I need to wait for a rheostat before trying to get up and going?

jamawieb

When your starting the unit, you have to hold the switch to start after it is up and running. This bypasses the oil pressure and temperature switch which are safety features that shut the unit down. It usually won't stay running because the unit thinks there is no oil pressure. These generators have a starter lockout that will disengage the starter after the unit reaches approximately 1200 rpms.

Guyfang

Staff member
Partner, you need to get out the -10 TM and read a bit.

This set is at times a PITA to bleed the air out of the lines. If it sat a while, the injector pump may be sticky/stuck. You might also have ancient fuel in the lines, and the engine may not fire off right away. Like JAMAWIEB said, hold up the S-1 switch long, and then longer! If the flywheel clashes with the starter, get out the TM and adjust the S-7, (Starter Lockout). That way you can't hurt anything by prolonged starting. Just keep in mind that the starter needs to cool off every once in a while. You can also use pre-heat, to help it start. I know its not -40 outside, but it can not hurt. Pull the air filter and put a LITTLE BIT of gas on a rag, and then hold onto it REAL tight, before turning the engine over. Not recommended to let the engine swallow the rag. I do not recommend any other type of starting aid.

Last edited:

jamawieb

Yes, it can take a while to bleed the air in the fuel system. I just rebuilt an injector pump in a 002a and installed new injectors, it took about 20 minutes to bleed the air out by cranking (of course I would let the starter rest for a couple of minutes before each attempt). Also be careful with starting fluids, I just picked up 6 002a's from the Illinois forestry commission and they apparently sprayed ether in the air filter and it set the filter on fire. One unit had 5hours on it and the air filter was melted, discovered they locked the motor by doing this. These units activate the intake heaters and glow plugs when the start switch is held in the start position so the intake heaters could ignite the fluids sprayed.

holley68

Thanks for the warning. I noticed the intake getting warm when I was trying to start it up. I am a little surprised the heaters still work. Going to have to try and bleed the lines some more. Hopefully I'll be able to get a rheostat soon. Don't know if I should let it run without the rheostat.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Do not assume anything with a 002 or 003. These sets are built to last. Given only minimal TLC, they will outlast you or me. As JAMAWEIB and I both told you, starting aids are not good. I do not trust them, even a little bit.

Here's a tip for you guys who live where it gets COLD. Do not use starting aids, use heat. We used to pull the air filter out, and hold a hair dryer, heat shrink gun or even more simple. a bit of cloth, held by a steel rod, soaked in diesel that we lit on fire, before the air intake. I have used this method in -35 degrees weather, and the sets start every time. Safe, simple and easy.

holley68

I try to never to use starter aid on any of our equipment. I don't think I've had to even on the cold days out. But we hay farm so not a lot of cold days for us.

Triple Jim

If the voltage adjust pot is missing and the wires are disconnected and insulated from each other, the regulator will think the output voltage is very low and effectively turn itself off to let the generator put out full voltage. The result will be something like 170 and 340 volts. If you connect the two wires that go to it together and insulate them, then the voltage pot on the regulator board might have enough adjustment range for you to be able to set the output to 120 and 240. I'd try it if I needed power and didn't have a pot, and I don't know of any reason this could hurt anything, but I'm not suggesting you do it.

The original is a 1,000 (1k) ohm pot, and just about any 1k panel mount pot with a 1/4" shaft should work fine.

Guy, I'm in NC, and we do get snow occasionally. One winter we awoke to 20" of it, and it didn't start to melt for a week.

Last edited:

robertsears1

GuyFang,

We also get ice in NC. Dec of 2002, I had returned home after retiring from the Air Force in Oct. We did not have power for 5 days. That morning, you could stand outside and hear a pine tree snap about every 20". It was 1/2"-3/4" thick. That is the exact reason I now have 3 MEP generators. I said never again. We also get hurricanes like the one on the way.

Robert

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks