• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A Not producing power

Guyfang

Staff member
Open up TM 5-6115-584-34.
Turn to page 8-4, (Or PDF reader page #153)

h. Testing Generator Stator.
(1) High Potential Test. Test generator stator as
given in paragraph 8-2e of this manual. Replace
stator having faulty insulation.
(2) Winding Resistance Test. Perform winding resistance
test using a Kelvin bridge. Follow the manufacturer’s
instructions given on the bridge. Resistance
readings should be made on the pins of P9 and
P10 (see figure 8-3). Resistance between lead pairs
T 1- T4, T2- T5, T3- T6, T7- T1 0, T8- T11 and T9
- T12 should be 0.355 ± 0.036 ohms at 77°F (25°C). Refer
to the table in figure 8-3 for location of the terminals.
Also check resistance between each pin A through F
of P9 and P10 and the stator frame. Low resistance
indicates a shorted stator.

mtfleming

Open up TM 5-6115-584-34.
Turn to page 8-4, (Or PDF reader page #153)

h. Testing Generator Stator.
(1) High Potential Test. Test generator stator as
given in paragraph 8-2e of this manual. Replace
stator having faulty insulation.
(2) Winding Resistance Test. Perform winding resistance
test using a Kelvin bridge. Follow the manufacturer’s
instructions given on the bridge. Resistance
readings should be made on the pins of P9 and
P10 (see figure 8-3). Resistance between lead pairs
T 1- T4, T2- T5, T3- T6, T7- T1 0, T8- T11 and T9
- T12 should be 0.355 ± 0.036 ohms at 77°F (25°C). Refer
to the table in figure 8-3 for location of the terminals.
Also check resistance between each pin A through F
of P9 and P10 and the stator frame. Low resistance
indicates a shorted stator.
Thanks so much for the information!

mtfleming

Thank you, would it be possible for you to post a picture of this ohm meter which will give me a better idea to explore some testing options for you?
I think somehow I uploaded it twice. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. All help is appreciated. I may be able to work on it some Monday.IMG_2765.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

mtfleming

Guyfang said something about l have exciter voltage but the generator would not light off. I have checked resistances on stator and think they are okay. To check for a short I just connect one lead to body of gen head and other lead to each pin of J9 and J10? Since the exciter produces a little power at the convenience outlet, do you think maybe the problem is in the rotor? I wonder what a gen head would cost?

mtfleming

Guyfang said something about l have exciter voltage but the generator would not light off. I have checked resistances on stator and think they are okay. To check for a short I just connect one lead to body of gen head and other lead to each pin of J9 and J10? Since the exciter produces a little power at the convenience outlet, do you think maybe the problem is in the rotor? I wonder what a gen head would cost?

I don't know which pins are A-F in the instructions on reading them to ground, but I numbered the pins according to a diagram in the TM. Here are the results:

#1 9.9 ohms
#2 7.0 ohms
#3 0.8 ohms
#4-6 open
#7 9.8 ohms
#8 7.0 ohms
#9 1.0 ohms
#10-12 open

Are these good?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks