• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A Starting question

epitts

Got my 2A home, changed oil and fuel filters, cleaned fuel pumps. I am getting fuel all the way up to the injector pump inlet. I cracked the line on the front injector but am getting no fuel. Would the problem be the delivery valve stuck on the pump under the big hex nut? Unit was turned in servesable, look to have only sat for two years. Painted in 07 new fire bottle service in 2010. Fuel shut off is working, getting 30 psi oil on cranking engine.

Thanks for any help

flyxpl

I have one with the same problem . In my case the key/pin that drives the metering plunger was snapped off . This happens when the fuel gums up . I still need to locate a new pin for mine .

Keith_J

Does the lever on the injection pump rise when the cut off solenoid energizes? If not, no fuel will be injected. These gum up easily. Berryman B12 carb cleaner will dissolve diesel gum, just make sure to flush it from the pump, don't soak more than 15 minutes as it can swell the o-rings.

Keith_J

I will look into all suggestions, but I think my fuel shut-off quite working now.

If the solenoid does not lift off the injection pump control lever when in start and run, there are two switches which interrupt current to it. These are the low oil pressure switch and over-temp switch. When the master switch is in the start position, these are bypassed.

The solenoid is energized in the run position, if current it interrupted, the engine will stop. Common failures in the oil pressure switch are from rain/water induced corrosion. You CAN bypass the switch by connecting both leads to one terminal. But always watch oil pressure gauge, meaning you cannot run the generator unattended. Thermal switch rarely goes out.

If the solenoid is pulling up, check to see if the injection pump lever moves up freely. It should follow the solenoid plunger with the engine off but in start, the governor pulls the throttle full open meaning maximum fuel injected. As the engine reaches speed, the governor pulls the throttle closed.

As you can tell, the throttle is pulled open by spring force and pulled closed by governor force (centripetal force, dependent on engine speed). Any impediment to free motion of the injection quantity control lever will impact proper running.

storeman

Keith,
I'm so happy to see you back on the forum....We have been stumbling trying to answer questions of many. Often by saying "search Keith-J's posts".
Jerry :jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:

Last edited:

Grega

Kieth, I Always read on what you say at least 3 times because they are so full of info. Like to read your post. Im just learning these Meps again so .. THANKS!!!

Keith_J

You are most welcome. Back when I was a young buck private in the US Army, we were getting these in. People may say they are loud, they are whisper quiet compared to the 5 and 10 kW gasoline units. Plus they use half the fuel, meaning you can get a week with a 55 gallon drum and a 5 gallon Jerry can (insurance). Gasoline was supplied in Jerry cans from the POL as only the 887 (shop equipment contact maintenance truck mounted Dodge truck) used it.

Making sure the 002As and 003As ran perfectly meant much less trouble and noise. I probably skewed the field reports. Fuel economy was an issue back then, even with Uncle Sugar paying the tab.

epitts

Does the lever on the injection pump rise when the cut off solenoid energizes? If not, no fuel will be injected. These gum up easily. Berryman B12 carb cleaner will dissolve diesel gum, just make sure to flush it from the pump, don't soak more than 15 minutes as it can swell the o-rings.
OK I checked every thing that I was told to check, the shut-off is working and the lever is free and follows the solenoid up. Getting about 30 psi while cranking. Still not getting any fuel through the pump. I have seen the plunger stick in M-100 heads of the same design, would it help to clean the delivery valve and plunger with carb cleaner?

Thanks for all your help

P.S I have a spool of wire on the front of the trailier it is 138' long and has a cannon plug on both ends.

Keith_J

Couldn't hurt, just be sure to flush it out of the injection pump. You do this by hooking up the supply lines and then running the return line to a waste container instead of the tank. It is the small line on the tank.

I fear something else is amiss in the injection pump.

Keith_J

One other issue with fuel, the little hose between the final filter and injection pump could have collapsed. This happens because the tank cap has a vent which must be open to run but closed during storage. If stored with minimal fuel, temperature drop causes a vacuum to form, causing this hose to collapse and it could be the hose liner so you won't see it. This will glue shut, resulting in no or low flow.

The priming pumps maintain a flow through the injection pump to cool it, there is an orifice on the injection pump return port so 5-8 PSI is maintained in the pump, a restricted supply line will cause problems.

Pull the old hose and check for obstruction. That sharp U-bend is part of the problem as most hose has minimum bend radii greater than that bend.
These hoses are easily rebuilt, just cut the aluminum ferrules with nippers and reuse the fittings with new hose. If you want to keep the original look, McMaster-Carr has the aluminum ferrules and crimping tools. :grd: If you are looking for a quick fix, regular hose clamps are fine. Use standard fuel hose you get from the local parts store.

Isaac-1

While were on this topic (not meaning to hijack), any guess what "serviced 2008" might mean when stencilled on a MEP-002a? My new to me one with 2000+ hours on the meter that I just changed the AVR transistor on has this, it also came with a brand new fuel tank, and all new filters even in the fuel pumps, just missing the fuel strainer that goes in the left most canister (has what looks like a brand new fill strainer for the fuel tank). I assume this would not be a full reset, just not sure.

Ike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks