• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A Blower Wheel -- Requesting Removal Advice

Floydla1

Hi Guys. Looking for a simple answer. I am set up to pull the blower wheel according to TM 5-6115-585-34 section 7-7 but I need to know how to block the engine from turning. Someone before me apparently attempted a block using a blower blade and it broke off. I have PB Blaster soaking and if there is no trick to blocking the engine, I will try a pneumatic impact wrench.
As always, I appreciate the expert advice.

Ray70

An impact wrench will do the trick.
what do you plan to use for a puller? Those blower wheels can be on there extremely tight sometimes.
I had made a small block of 1/2" steel with a 1/2" fine thread hole tapped in the center, with 2 thru holes for bolts to go into the 2 threaded holes in the blower wheel. It worked perfectly when other "steering wheel" pullers failed.

Floydla1

Hello Ray70. Thank you for the prompt response. I have an old, robust "steering wheel" puller locked down on it now. The center bolt is 3/4" fine thread and the yoke is medium carbon steel, so it should work. Will keep my finger's crossed.

Scoobyshep

I personally use a product by CRC called Knocker loose. Works very well on seized parts. Disclaimer: I have never actually pulled a blower on a 003, But the concept is about the same, I load the puller, heat the hub around the shaft and tap with a hammer as the puller loosens tighten it more and repeat

Floydla1

Hello Scoobyshep. Thanks for letting me know about the CRC stuff. I believe I found it on Amazon "03027 Knock'Er Loose". I am always looking for something to keep on the shelf for such situations as with this blower. What did you use to heat the hub? I believe the blower wheel is aluminum and all I have for heat is a acetylene torch.

For anybody that is monitoring this thread, this wheel is missing a vane. At 1800rpm I am concerned about shaft vibration. So, I am in the market for a replacement fan wheel.

Scoobyshep

Youre welcome, I have never done on this exact thing but i did use this method to remove a lovejoy from an electric motor. Acetylene will work, be careful not to go too nutso on it. The last time i did something like this it was a mapp gas plumbers torch. keep the heat in ckeck and keep it moving. The penetrating oil will start smoking so be in a well ventilated area

Chainbreaker

What if you cut a blade off on the other side? If you had a 002, it wouldn’t matter because they shake so much compared to a 003.
Or consider replacing it while you have it removed. I saw a used one on eBay not long ago. Also, there are semi-complete "parts machines" that come up pretty reasonable $-wise from time-to-time. Ya never know what you might need later if you plan on keeping it for a long time.