• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A Blower Wheel -- Requesting Removal Advice

Floydla1

Hi Guys. Looking for a simple answer. I am set up to pull the blower wheel according to TM 5-6115-585-34 section 7-7 but I need to know how to block the engine from turning. Someone before me apparently attempted a block using a blower blade and it broke off. I have PB Blaster soaking and if there is no trick to blocking the engine, I will try a pneumatic impact wrench.
As always, I appreciate the expert advice.

Ray70

An impact wrench will do the trick.
what do you plan to use for a puller? Those blower wheels can be on there extremely tight sometimes.
I had made a small block of 1/2" steel with a 1/2" fine thread hole tapped in the center, with 2 thru holes for bolts to go into the 2 threaded holes in the blower wheel. It worked perfectly when other "steering wheel" pullers failed.

Floydla1

Hello Ray70. Thank you for the prompt response. I have an old, robust "steering wheel" puller locked down on it now. The center bolt is 3/4" fine thread and the yoke is medium carbon steel, so it should work. Will keep my finger's crossed.

Scoobyshep

I personally use a product by CRC called Knocker loose. Works very well on seized parts. Disclaimer: I have never actually pulled a blower on a 003, But the concept is about the same, I load the puller, heat the hub around the shaft and tap with a hammer as the puller loosens tighten it more and repeat

Floydla1

Hello Scoobyshep. Thanks for letting me know about the CRC stuff. I believe I found it on Amazon "03027 Knock'Er Loose". I am always looking for something to keep on the shelf for such situations as with this blower. What did you use to heat the hub? I believe the blower wheel is aluminum and all I have for heat is a acetylene torch.

For anybody that is monitoring this thread, this wheel is missing a vane. At 1800rpm I am concerned about shaft vibration. So, I am in the market for a replacement fan wheel.

Scoobyshep

Youre welcome, I have never done on this exact thing but i did use this method to remove a lovejoy from an electric motor. Acetylene will work, be careful not to go too nutso on it. The last time i did something like this it was a mapp gas plumbers torch. keep the heat in ckeck and keep it moving. The penetrating oil will start smoking so be in a well ventilated area

Chainbreaker

What if you cut a blade off on the other side? If you had a 002, it wouldn’t matter because they shake so much compared to a 003.
Or consider replacing it while you have it removed. I saw a used one on eBay not long ago. Also, there are semi-complete "parts machines" that come up pretty reasonable $-wise from time-to-time. Ya never know what you might need later if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks