• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003A No Output Voltage

ckesey

Thanks for the lead. I spoke with Landon and he went searching for me and found one. He said he didn't have any way to test it but was labeled good. He said I could return if it wasn't good. I'll test it when it comes in and hopefully it is.
As it turns out the CVT1 from delks wasn't good. All three primary and secondary windings are reading .9 ohms. Anyone have any other suggestions or maybe multiple spares they 're willing to part with one? I have a new transformer and will be installing it. I'm in a real bind for a cvt1 to get my generator back in service (hopefully that's all that's wrong with it).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Triple Jim

Six readings of the same 0.9 ohms is suspicious. Is there any chance you made a mistake in measuring?

You actually have H1 through H6, C1 and C2, and X1, X2, and X3. This means you have three pairs:

(H1 to H2) (H3 to H4) (H5 to H6) (about 2.3 ohms between each pair)

Then you have three pairs of X readings to make:

(X1 to X2) ( X2 to X3) (X3 to X1) (about 1.68 between each pair)

Lastly you have C1 and C2 to check (about 9.6 ohms between the two)

Also, with low resistances like this you need to subtract the meter lead resistance that you get when you touch the to probes together. Usually that's a couple tenths of an ohm.

Last edited:

ckesey

Six readings of the same 0.9 ohms is suspicious. Is there any chance you made a mistake in measuring?

You actually have H1 through H6, C1 and C2, and X1, X2, and X3. This means you have three pairs:

(H1 to H2) (H3 to H4) (H5 to H6) (about 2.3 ohms between each pair)

Then you have three pairs of X readings to make:

(X1 to X2) ( X2 to X3) (X3 to X1) (about 1.68 between each pair)

Lastly you have C1 and C2 to check (about 9.6 ohms between the two)

Also, with low resistances like this you need to subtract the meter lead resistance that you get when you touch the to probes together. Usually that's a couple tenths of an ohm.
I double checked myself and then again against my faulty one (only has one faulty leg that reads open) and it showed the same reading during each of the 6 readings (on the replacement).

I have found someone parting a 003a out and have purchased the whole AC box with the transformers, switch, breaker, etc. I will test the installed components when it arrives and make sure everything test good. I was told it was removed from a working set.

I don't get know how all the pieces work together but I have to believe that either the linear transformer or the CVT1 first went bad causing the other to go bad (because it was working fine and then all of a sudden the voltage went away)....unless one of them could have been bad for some time but still allowing the set to producing AC. From what I understand either one of these faulty parts would have caused a no output condition.

Knowing this, is there anything feeding the AC box (via the 4 connectors from the control box/generator windings) that could have caused these parts to go bad? Should I have any reservations (if the components test good in the replacement AC box), installing it and testing it out (ie is futher testing needed elsewhere)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks