• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-003a teardown and refurb

Jimc

i have it running now powering my shop. i decided to load it up a bit. did great except for it doesnt like to start bigger motors. my spraybooth has a 3hp and it was kinda ok with that but it really did not like my 7.5hp compressor. it kicked it off then got slower and slower over about 5sec until it stopped then i shut the compressor off real quick. its those real quick surges that bog it down.

JOateyNV

Theres something you don't see everyday. A piece of equipment that looks great and functions as it should. Great job Jim. You may want to put a meter on it to check the HZ. When I first got my 003 running it acted the same way. I find tune it with a $60 multi-meter. Great job. Jeff

johnray13

I think it should start your compressor. I also have a 7.5 hp compressor (with a true 7.5 hp/240v Marathon motor) . This is a big starting load on the generator for sure. But the 003 starts it with just change in pitch, moderate frequency sag and about two seconds of grey smoke before returning to speed. The % load meter reads close to 70% with just the compressor running after the initial start pegs the % load meter.

I also started my 5 ton air conditioner. It really bogged down for several seconds but it got it started and came back to speed. I did have some other small loads on the generator at the time (maybe 10-15%). After starting the a/c, the % load meter only read around 50%, even though it is fed with a 2 pole 50 amp breaker.

It may be something as simple as the wire size you were using or you frequency is off enough that the motor didn't like it. But it should definitely start your 7 1/2 hp motor with minimal complaining.

Good luck,
John

Edit: I did have other loads on the air compressor when I started it but they were minimal (<10%)

Last edited:

Jimc

Actually i did get it to fire the compressor. I did have to turn everything else in the shop off except one set of lights. It is a true 7.5hp too. This is a weg motor. Supposed to draw 56amps startup then 36 or so running. Once it was goin i was pullin 75% load. One nice feature of the compressor is it has a continuous run feature so once it fires up i can turn that on so the motor never shuts down.

Grega

So what did you use for the oil filter. Was it the fram K85 adapter plate? What did you use for the 0-ring. The blow by out of the dip stick looks normal. My 003a did the same thing, oil even ran down the filler. Changed the hard cork gasket on the cap with a new one and no more oil seapage.

Jimc

the oil filter setup is a conversion i got from a guy that machines and sells them on ebay. the plate is ok but i wasnt crazy about the fitting in the center. i should have paid a little more for speddmon's kit. the kit comes with the adapter plate and gasket. cant remember the filter model but its a common napa/wix filter. i ran the gen under some load for about 4.5 hrs today. ran perfect the whole time. i opened the dipstick tube a few times during that just to check things out and i dont even get the little puff of smoke that i was getting originally. i think this thing just needed to be run. its probably been years since it ran correctly.

Jimc

i picked up this little trailer from northern. was cheap. $260 delivered. its a little overloaded but its just so i can move this thing around my property or in an emergency go a couple miles in town here. also cut some "diesel" and "close to run" decals real quick and installed them.

IMG_1073.jpg

storeman

Jim,
Glad the dipstick issue sorted out, Superb looking generator. You and JWB should team up. His wife does the South's best paint job and you are king of the North.
Jerry

Last edited:

Jimc

Quick followup on that capacitor i changed on the dc voltage regulator. Everything seems fine and the system charges properly. Seems to be working fine and cost $3.

Triple Jim

I'm probably forgetting, but last I remember, you were soldering to the stub of the broken wire on the original capacitor. What did you end up using?

Edit: I searched the thread and found it on p. 4. I was getting you mixed up with another member, I guess.

Last edited:

Jimc

Thanks!! Only thing i have left is all the data plates. I am wrapping up the computer file tonight and ill send that off to my friend so they can be printed. Gonna probably run off a bunch if sets since i know a few guys want them

johnray13

Thanks!! Only thing i have left is all the data plates. I am wrapping up the computer file tonight and ill send that off to my friend so they can be printed. Gonna probably run off a bunch if sets since i know a few guys want them
Jim- You should give this guy a call. His pricing to print/engrave data plates seem reasonable. It would be cool to have an exact replica on metal plates too. Since you have done all the work he should give you a great deal too!
http://www.dataplates.net/m35.html

John

Jimc

I will send him an email or call him. Since i have done all the time consuming design work on the plates it might be somewhat reasonable but there are like 20 plates on these machines. I would think that would get a bit pricy but maybe not, who knows. The upside is originality. Down side is you still wouldnt be able to do the control panel and the vinyl will hold up better to fading and scratches. My original plan was to overlay the vinyl on the original alum plates then rivet them back on. Should be real close to original. Def worth a phone call to the guy though for sure. Thanks for the link

Jimc

ok i talked to the data plate guy. he can do all the smaller plates but cant do the wiring schematic plate since that is too big. only way he can do that plate is if its done in plastic and at that point i might as well just stick with the vinyl and overlay it onto the plates. it will be uv and scratch resistant and made to hold up outside. the vinyl is good 3m stuff, has a clear laminate over it and made for commercial and automotive use. the alum plates he does are not for outdoor use.

Jimc

ok here is the final for the data plates. i think i got all of them this time. i think this should be a quick easy way to spruce up the 002/003 especially for those of you that buy and sell them. for those of you that paint their mep's i can also include the diesel and close to run logos. once i get this all finalized and take pictures on my machine i will post this up in the classifieds where it belongs. right now i am waiting to hear back on a price from my friend who will print and laminate these. once i know i'll let you guys know. look at the pic. if you see any i forgot please let me know asap. dont worry about the red lines. they are just cut lines for the plotter and wont be printed.

NAME-PLATES.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks