• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-003a teardown and refurb

Jimc

ahhh not really worried about it, just though it was strange thats all but ill def keep that in mind. if i have to run the booth then i need the compressor and all the lights on all at the same time so that is well beyond the limits of an 003 anyway. prob need an 005 for that. btw you avatar is a bit disturbing lol

Triple Jim

Jim, as I'm sure you know, some motor types and designs draw more starting current than others. I measured starting current drawn by three motors a few years ago. They were good quality Baldor 3-phase 1750 RPM motors. They were 5, 10, and 15 hp, and all three drew right around 10 times their running current on startup. And that's not a typo or measurement error! I had to get some special time delay fuses for them because they were running some blowers that took several seconds to get up to speed.

Jimc

Yeah jim thats just what i chalked it up to, difference in motor design and start current requirements between the two.

John, i know what your gettin at. i did all the electrical in the shop myself and can say for sure wire lengths are prob within 15ft of each other and are heavy enough to have well below 3% drop

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone remember the auction rule? All the posts discussing any ads were deleted.

Jimc

Found a part# error in the 003 tm. Didnt know where to post it so this being a rebuild thread i guess here will do. The valve guide seals in the 003 manual are wrong. Correct # is the one in the 002 parts manual. Correct # is 509-0132

Jimc

i just had a discovery channel producer over my shop last night getting footage of my 003 for a new show. had to shoot a scene where i was selling it to a friend of mine for a project in one of the shows. who knows if it will ever make it to air. we will see. probably wouldn't be for awhile if it does.

Spooledup

i just had a discovery channel producer over my shop last night getting footage of my 003 for a new show. had to shoot a scene where i was selling it to a friend of mine for a project in one of the shows. who knows if it will ever make it to air. we will see. probably wouldn't be for awhile if it does.
you mean reality TV isn't real!??
my world is crashing down around me!

Jimc

i know right. ill have to pull em and do it. on the 002 i just did, i didnt polish them but once i glass beaded them and got them looking like copper i did clearcoat them real quick. haha

Mrfeeney

Jim, First I would like to say you did a fine job on the restoration, I didn't say that for your benifit as much as mine, enough others have told you but it sets the bar high enough I won't feel to bad about the time and effort I have planned for my 003.

I read where your motor mounts were shot (as are mine) but I didn't see a post where you found them and I don't suppose they are stock Onan.

Regards

Jimc

hey thanks!! as for the mounts i managed to score a set from gimpyrobb. there is a guy selling them on a big auction site;). the part # is j-12021. seems to be a common problem. the other 003 i have here that i havent tore into yet has wiped mounts as well. its kinda strange the lighter 002 model has additional support cushions under the engine and gen end and the heavier 003 doesnt have them....go figure.

Mrfeeney

Jim, I assumed that the mounts were shot till I saw some pictures of new ones which show that the metal plates are offset, considering the caliber of some of the maintenance work on this machine is it possible someone could have installed them upside down? I did not see any signs of cracking or broken rubber just one side of the engine/gen assymbly is visibly lower than the other side by 3/4" or so.

Unfortunately I am working away from home and won't be able to investigate further for a couple of months.

Jimc

Yes they are offset a bit so when you put the weight on them they are straight. 3/4" is way too much though. If its that much then the metal is torn from the rubber

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks