• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-004 making no electric

Knjs

So I recently got a mep-004 and it runs good but is making no electric. I checked the big terminals on the left and checked the service plug in the control panel. I switched the the gauge threw the different legs and there's nothing. I checked for anything obvious and don't see any chewed wires or anything unplugged. I spoke to the mechanic where it came from and he said it was fine when they got it. The square batteries were from 2018 so I assume they got it from a base around that time. I'm not super good with electric so I would appreciate layman's terms. Thanks for any help.

INFChief

So I recently got a mep-004 and it runs good but is making no electric. I checked the big terminals on the left and checked the service plug in the control panel. I switched the the gauge threw the different legs and there's nothing. I checked for anything obvious and don't see any chewed wires or anything unplugged. I spoke to the mechanic where it came from and he said it was fine when they got it. The square batteries were from 2018 so I assume they got it from a base around that time. I'm not super good with electric so I would appreciate layman's terms. Thanks for any help.
Can you post pictures of the panels? Have you checked circuit breakers?

INFChief

Do you have this manual?

INFChief

INFChief

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi Knjs,

Welcome to the Outfit!

This isn't a truck, but there are lots of folks here who work on Green and Tan colored makers of power. Lots of folks here too that offer up suggestions and starting with pictures of exactly what you have will help. Might be that a few pix will make it obvious that something isn't connected maybe.

Another thing that will help you a lot are the TM's (Technical Manuals). There are flow charts to help you troubleshoot problems, part numbers, and general instructions on how to service the machine. Also worthy of a read in the TM's are how to drive a ground rod to help avoid electrocuting yourself. Those books are free and available to download. Use Acrobat Reader (also free) and search for specifics.

Again, welcome to the group!

EDIT: @INFChief posted direct links to the TM's.
Now you gotta go download them...
They are dry reading, but infinitely useful!

INFChief

Hi Knjs,

Welcome to the Outfit!

This isn't a truck, but there are lots of folks here who work on Green and Tan colored makers of power. Lots of folks here too that offer up suggestions and starting with pictures of exactly what you have will help. Might be that a few pix will make it obvious that something isn't connected maybe.

Another thing that will help you a lot are the TM's (Technical Manuals). There are flow charts to help you troubleshoot problems, part numbers, and general instructions on how to service the machine. Also worthy of a read in the TM's are how to drive a ground rod to help avoid electrocuting yourself. Those books are free and available to download. Use Acrobat Reader (also free) and search for specifics.

TM’s can be a real snooze fest! Plus, I forgot to check to see if those TM’s actually covered the power generation components.

INFChief

Also, before you get too far in to this; will the seller come to you to check it out? They said “it worked when we had it”. Will they warranty anything?

Knjs

Hi Knjs,

Welcome to the Outfit!

I appreciate it. Thanks

INFChief

I need to clarify something. When you say it ‘makes no electric’ do you mean the generator does not put out of the engine alternator is not putting out?

Knjs

Also, before you get too far in to this; will the seller come to you to check it out? They said “it worked when we had it”. Will they warranty anything?
No it was a Township and I got it at auction. I've had 5 or 6 mep-005s and never had a problem besides 1 alternator so I went for it

Scoobyshep

when you start the set hold the switch to start for several seconds and see if that gives you any power (these have an electric flash circuit and is a common mistake when starting) also make sure you have some throttle, DO NOT idle these sets.

Further troubleshooting to follow once you try this