• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-016d questions

dstang97

1) I want to run 120v only. Do I need to make any jumpers inside the genset?
2) why Am I getting voltage at the lugs when the genset is on and breaker is off?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would MEG the contactor and not trust a standard VOM for this one.

The other thing I would do is flip the breaker open and close 15-20 times and see if things change.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure.

VOM is a Volt Ohm Meter. It will test restance (ohms) with a very low voltage signal. Perfectly OK for testing electronic circuits but can be fooled in "POWER" circuits. An old Simpson analog meter can be better than a nice digital Fluke for some problems. Residual voltage across a contactor is one of them.

A Megger is a Ohm meter on steroids. It will test a circuit with a much higher voltage (500v). These will show you the things that can hide from VOMs.

An alternate test is to put a small load on the generator. A 60w lamp is ideal. If the contacts are fused they will pass enough power to light up the lamp. The brightness of the lamp can help you understand what is going on. If the lamp lights with the breaker off you have a serious problem. If it doesn't you may have some dirt in there. Exercising the breaker will clean its contacts.

dstang97

Sure.

VOM is a Volt Ohm Meter. It will test restance (ohms) with a very low voltage signal. Perfectly OK for testing electronic circuits but can be fooled in "POWER" circuits. An old Simpson analog meter can be better than a nice digital Fluke for some problems. Residual voltage across a contactor is one of them.

A Megger is a Ohm meter on steroids. It will test a circuit with a much higher voltage (500v). These will show you the things that can hide from VOMs.

An alternate test is to put a small load on the generator. A 60w lamp is ideal. If the contacts are fused they will pass enough power to light up the lamp. The brightness of the lamp can help you understand what is going on. If the lamp lights with the breaker off you have a serious problem. If it doesn't you may have some dirt in there. Exercising the breaker will clean its contacts.
Cool thanks. Do I need any jumpers to run 120v only? Also what color wires goes to which lugs?

Isaac-1

There is a reconnection switch inside the control cabinet that must be turned to the 120V only position to get 120V only output. It is in the back right of the control box ones you swing the front panel down. Do not turn switch while the engine is running. As to the voltage on the meter it is likely an induced phantom voltage adding a light bulb inline with the meter should bleed it off.

p.s. I suggest reading the TM, but be aware the TM has numerous errors including one in the reconnection diagram.

dstang97

Yeah I already switched the switch in the control box. I'm getting 120v at l1+2. I also excercised the breaker and it's working fine now. I read the manuals some time ago and remembered they were horible. I'm gueing my wires are

white-L1
black-L2
green- ground stud on genset.

is this correct?

truck1

Also be advised the MEP-016d is capable of 1,2,and 3 phase voltage supply. Nice feature and you can regulate voltage and hertz manually. The reconnection switch MUST be operated while the unit is not running as Isaac mentioned. My reconnection switch had the contacts welded together from switching while running ( military ) . I was able to slowly work it free. Great generators. Ran mine for 12 hours to charge the battery bank on my solar system. They are built like tanks. Got 1 hour per 1\3 gallon run time. Not bad. But they are LOUD. Went through 3 Home Depot generators before this one. The gauges are inacurate on mine though. Bought a Kill a Watt to get an accurate read out.

dstang97

So I got the wiring figured out. Set on 120v only
Black L1
white L2
green frame.

it will run small tools but will not run my craftsman 30 gallon 120v. All it does is drop the breaker. You would think it would be powerful enough to run it.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Snap a photo of the tag on the motor. I expect the answer is going to be no. Single phase motors on compressors are really hard to start.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks