• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-018a genset parts

osalsa

The Om24 and 25 apparently look the same, but I think that the venturi size must be larger for the 25, and perhaps the jetting as well. Can't confirm that; no one seems to have one. Tillotson was split up some years ago, one company has old inventory in the USA (but nothing as far back as the OM's) and what remains is in Ireland, under the Tillotson name.

Guyfang

Staff member
[FONT=&quot]Hello Guy,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately the OM range of carburetors is obsolete with many years and they were never produced here in our current plant in Ireland. They were only produced in our old plant in Ohio in the USA which is closed for over 40 years now. We no longer have any stock or parts available. We know very little about this model here.

I am sorry we cannot be of more help to you. Maybe you should try one of our distributors who stock vintage parts. They are your best option.

Details are below.

V.E Petersen Company, Inc
28101 East Broadway
P.O Box 615
Walbridge, Ohio 43465
Tel: 419-838-5911
800-537-6212 U.S
Fax: 419-838-7405
e-mail: info@vepetersen.com

Thank you.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kind Regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mr Shane O'Connell[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tillotson Limited,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clash Industrial Estate | Tralee | Co. Kerry.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tel +353 66 71 62506 | Fax +353 66 71 24503[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.tillotson.ie/www.tillotson.ie[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]From: guyfang [mailto:guyfang@aol.com]
Sent: 25 August 2017 08:46
To: Shane OConnell
Subject: Question about old carberators
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Good morning to you in (hopefully) Sunny Ireland! [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am frantically searching for an old Tillotson carburetor. Model OM 25A. I know it's an old outdated, bit of kit, but am in need of one, for someone's aircraft. He wants to install a new 4A804-4 engine, and it seems as though the carburetor on the engine he bought is a OM 24A. The performance of the engine is not up to his standards, and only a OM 25A will do. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So I guess my question is, Do you still maybe have one. If not, would you maybe know where I might find one? Any help you could give would be appreciated.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Respectfully yours,
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Guy Wiltfang
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kathi-Baur str. 19
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]96224 Burgkunstadt
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Germany
[/FONT]

osalsa

Pics of the Zenith and Tillotson carburetors

Dwnorton1, thanks for replying to the thread. Here are some pics of two of the carbs used on the 4A084 Standard Military Engine. The first is the Tillotson OM24A. It looks identical to the OM25A, which is used in the earlier model engines. The second is a Zenith, which is used on the later model engines. You can see that the most obvious distinguishing characteristic is the float bowl, which is shiny, round and bell-like on the Zenith. Your 1969 engine might well have the OM25A. If it does have a serviceable OM25A, I would be interested in buying it or, if you prefer, trading a new Zenith for it. Many of these engines run quite well on the Zenith, but it is not a good choice for an airplane. BTW, a carb is still serviceable (or repairable) if the gaskets are dry, cracked, or broken. It would have to be in pretty bad shape to not be repairable.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
[h=1]Try looking up this Group. They are in face book and seems to deal in, or have formed a group that trades in old aircraft parts. Can't hurt to join the group, ask a few questions and see what happens. If they cant help, they might be able to give you a lead on where to look.[/h]
Antique Aircraft Parts Exchange, in Facebook.

Guyfang

Staff member
A friend of mine who flys, (and it would be a cold day in you know where before I got in anything other than a tonka truck with him) has has real good luck with the Texas Air Salvage Company. Said the folks were friendly, helpful, and found several things for his L19 Bird Dog. Cant hurt to look up the web site and send em a mail.

osalsa

Guyfang and Dwnorton1, thanks a million for your trouble. That darn Zenith carb - it's taking over the world! I will follow the other leads in my relentless search for the OM25A....!

Guyfang

Staff member
Osalsa,

There is a guy in Utah, who is selling a bunch of stuff in the forum. I think his name is TRUCKDRIVER47. He is offering a MEP-006A and a bunch of "extra" parts. I know that's not what you are looking for, but in the backround, I saw one, maybe two gen sets, looked like MEP-017A. Give the guy a shout. Might be the right set, right carb. Never know. I would love to walk his back lot. The pictures looked interesting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks