• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-701A Questions

epitts

I am working on a 701 for a friend. It has not run in several years. I changed all filters but air filter, checked the wiring and all looks good. I primed the unit the best I could with priming lever, pulled and checked glow plug all good. Got the unit running and making power, charging system works fine. I used two motorcycle battery's in place of the 4HN battery.I have two questions 1. When first started it it has voltage on LO per my meter but after running for a few minutes every thing turn okay. No power on LO normal readings on L1 & L2. Question 2 And don't laugh at me how do you run cable to the hook up with the ASK on?

Thanks for your help

Eric

Attachments

dependable

What position is voltage selector switch in? On this unit you have to open control panel front to access switch. Some load, like a test light or solenoid "wiggy" voltage tester may be necessary to get true reading.

Not laughing , we all got to learn. I think you drop your cable down from connection lugs and out in gap under frame. If you can't figure it out I can post a picture of 701 output in a day or so.

Last edited:

epitts

What position is voltage selector switch in? On this unit you have to open control panel front to access switch. Some load, like a test light or solenoid "wiggy" voltage tester may be necessary to get true reading.

Not laughing , we all got to learn. I think you drop your cable down from connection lugs and out in gap under frame. If you can't figure it out I can post a picture of 701 output in a day or so.
The selector was set to 240 volts. I had the neg probe on my meter clamped on to LO during start up. After flipping the breaker the meter would show about 50 volts without grounding the pos probe.

I think I will be able to figure it out now, just did not get down on my knees to look.

Thanks

Isaac-1

By the book these generators do not offer a 120/240V single phase operating mode, they offer 120V only or 240V only single phase, although many have been modified, or the design was updated to allow 120/240V operation.

Ike

p.s. note the technical manuals for this model have lots of mistakes, one you should be aware of is the voltage connection diagrams on page 4-3 of 5-6115-615-12 shows 120V L1-L2 in 240V single phase operation, this should be 240V L1-L2 (here is a copy)

Attachments

Last edited:

Milspec33

I like the motorcycle battery set up too! The 4HN batteryis not my friend!. As stated above pull your cable from underneath the skid on the terminal side. Both of my 701a's take a minute to settle into stable power

epitts

Fuel shotoff

According to the TO there should .01 - .02 thousands clearance between the plunger and the IP arm. In the picture below shows the fuel shutoff fully extended yet I had to push the IP arm over to shut off the engine. Is this normal and could have somthing to do with the throttle cable being bad?

Thanks

Attachments

dependable

There is about 1/8th of inch between plunger and IP contact on mine and it works. The double nut on the base of red part of plunger is an adjustment, maybe try to run it out and re lock in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks