• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802 Govenor/Frequency Adjustment Problem

goat4hooves

I cannot get the frequency adjustments with in specs (58 Hz) on the low end called out in the TM. The cable has run out of length. The attached picture shows where sits the governor without the cable installed and the corresponding frequency is just below 60 Hz on the generator meter. The low end adjustment screw will not engage flat section of the governor speed lever. When the frequency adjust cable installed it goes as low as 62 Hz.

Is it possible for the governor speed lever to be clocked or positioned wrong on assembly?
It seems like it is in the wrong position. I just want to check and see if anyone has had this problem before. When I read TM 9-2815-252-24 it looks everything is in the engine to some extent. Just wanted to check with you all before opening the engine up.

Governor.jpg

Kenny0

frequency adjustment

I cannot get the frequency adjustments with in specs (58 Hz) on the low end called out in the TM. The cable has run out of length. The attached picture shows where sits the governor without the cable installed and the corresponding frequency is just below 60 Hz on the generator meter. The low end adjustment screw will not engage flat section of the governor speed lever. When the frequency adjust cable installed it goes as low as 62 Hz.

Is it possible for the governor speed lever to be clocked or positioned wrong on assembly?
It seems like it is in the wrong position. I just want to check and see if anyone has had this problem before. When I read TM 9-2815-252-24 it looks everything is in the engine to some extent. Just wanted to check with you all before opening the engine up.

View attachment 697426
has this always been like this? or did something in the operation cause you to think that something was wrong? does the governor seem to work okay, does the frequency stay constant when you add and subtract loads? I will try and upload a picture, something is different. If the governor works okay, the only thing I can think of is that number 1 Spring has been replaced with a shorter one, which would seem logical with your picture. If it holds the frequency at different loads I would not tear into the governor unless you are very mechanically inclined. if it were me and the frequency holds steady under different loads I would leave as is, adjust the nuts on the control cable where it hooks on to get 60 Hz. Normally it is set to 61 Hz at no-load. 58 Hz in this case is just an arbitrary number, they have to put something down.

Attachments

goat4hooves

Guy, I am using the TM's uploaded to SS.

Kenny, the governor holds steady when set. I reassembled the cable to the governor speed lever and barrowed my friends Fluke and measured the frequency output. I found out the frequency meter on the genset differs from the Fluke reading. At this point I have adjusted the high and low set screw to TM specs using the Fluke. My governor set screw positions look to be very close to yours.

My next course of action is to troubleshoot the frequency meter and transducer per the TM. Will let you guys know what I find out. Life has been keeping me from working on it as much as I would like.

Kenny0

Good, it looks like the governor is working okay. You may know already know, but from what I've read on other posts you do not want to idle the engine down on these generators, I think it was the voltage regulators that fail, but I'm not positive. I probably cannot help you much on the frequency meter, I haven't done any work on those yet. Good luck.

Guyfang

Staff member
Goat,

The reason I asked is that there should be an additional data sheet among the TM's that has the basic setup of the Gov speed lever. It's easier to follow then the TM, or I think so anyway. I ran into problems with the gov system often, when we received sets that had been "fixed" by young soldiers who didnt read the books. Mostly the sets had just came back from Down Range. Most of the time setting the lever up per the data sheet fixed the problem. On the whole, I found the system very dependable, if left alone.

The freq meter and transducer are easy to test. Don't expect that it reads 100% right. None of these sets are to be taken seriously when reading gages. The old saying, "Close enough for government work" is about right. We used a calibrated 120 volt power supply to test them. The spec's are in the -24 manual.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have just won auction on a mep802a that is being shipped to me. The video I saw on start up showed the frequency gauge just bump up a little and then go back down?. When receiving the unit is there something I should be looking for.

Thank you

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have just won auction on a mep802a that is being shipped to me. The video I saw on start up showed the frequency gauge just bump up a little and then go back down?. When receiving the unit is there something I should be looking for.

Thank you
The first thing to do is not trust the gauges and use a meter to verify all the parameters (V, A, HZ) independently.

Thats a big help to reduce chasing your tail.

Go ahead and go through the manual so you have a good understanding of how they work while you wait for it to arrive.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. unit has very low hours under 15 recommend changing oil with a break in oil product? like John Deere break in oil.your thoughts.

Thank you,

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. unit has very low hours under 15 recommend changing oil with a break in oil product? like John Deere break in oil.your thoughts.

Thank you,
Howdy,
Yes, low hour diesel engine, not broken in yet.

You have come to the right forum. There are lots of threads to read and become familiar with your unit. Sounds like you have already been reading. :)

good luck.

Kenny0

Guy, I am using the TM's uploaded to SS.

Kenny, the governor holds steady when set. I reassembled the cable to the governor speed lever and barrowed my friends Fluke and measured the frequency output. I found out the frequency meter on the genset differs from the Fluke reading. At this point I have adjusted the high and low set screw to TM specs using the Fluke. My governor set screw positions look to be very close to yours.

My next course of action is to troubleshoot the frequency meter and transducer per the TM. Will let you guys know what I find out. Life has been keeping me from working on it as much as I would like.
Also, if the Hertz gauge doesn't read accurately, there is a screw slot below the glass in the center that can be used to adjust the reading on the gauge to match your Fluke meter. If the meter still doesn't seem right than more troubleshooting might be warranted.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey does anybody know the best way to remove the Omni identification tags they put on these generator boxes?

Thank you,

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well I'm old and feeble to, haha.
these plastic tags are approximately 4 inches long inch and 1-1/2 inch wide maybe three-quarters to an inch thick. like a barcode identification for movement of equipment or inventory purposes. most likely will try to use monofilament fishing line to try to scrape them off without damaging paint underneath the cabinet. there are three of them stuck on my unit.

Thank you,

Guyfang

Staff member
Oh, ok, now I know what you mean. Try a heat shrink gun. Not too hot.

That is the purpose of the tags. Control. Now any fool just has to point the gun, pull the trigger, and the item is recorded. Pita.

CMPPhil

Hi

Another use for hair driers, slower than heat gun, but less likely to scorch the paint. Hot water 160F also works well removing gummy back stickers.

Years ago ran an employment program for youth, one of our businesses was preparing new and used cars for dealers, we would run a special after elections to remove bumper sticker with hot presser washer, worked great.

Cheers Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks