• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 802a alternator repair

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 802a that was has a tier2 reset in 2012 with 24 hours rebuild tag on the alternator, but this thing drains batteries over night. After reading here realized its a problem with the alternator draining the battery. pulled the alternator off tonight and i found 2 wires no longer connected to the diode top right corner picture shows the screw driver. now I need to know how to fix it as i am not very experienced in soldering and that kind of thing.

Attachments

Ray70

Interesting, Do you think the wires came loose from the diodes getting hot or something? I wouldn't think the loose wires would drain the battery unless you had a short in there, which I would also expect to melt wires etc. Wondering if the diodes could have gone bad and overheated causing the solder to melt??
I guess my point would be that you may want to do some additional checking to see if unsoldered wires are your real issue or just a symptom of another problem.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks like it just broke off two wires are still soldered together but not connected to the diode. a little back story on this unit. When being delivered the driver was backing into my drive and had to abruptly drive forward to get out of the way of a grain truck that was not paying attention and speeding nearly t-boned the guy. Luckily he only took out my mailbox and part of the yard. I had two units on that trailer and i think it took a good jolt in the near crash.
Looks like i found the thread that covered this for anyone else that is looking.

Last edited:

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So not having much luck in finding readily available parts so i borrowed one from an 803a but things have not gone well with the 802a and i would rather shift gears and go on to the 803a without switching parts back. here is an alternator i found looks like mounting bolts. and wire size and amps are all the same. not sure i have all the dimensions compared would like to see some other eyes on this comparable.
not sure how to post this other than a link to the product

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not order the above alternator, luckily i found a new correct alternator so i will be going with that. I will however keep searching for parts for the broken alternator so i have a spare on the shelf.