• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a cold weather starting

ethernaut85

Can anyone tell me how easily these units start in cold weather with just the preheat? In WV where I live our winter temps drop below zero several times each year. Would an 802 need a block heater to start if temps drop to -10 to -15?

Crabbie

I gave an 802 and an 002a, they both suck in cold weather. I keep the batteries charged and keep a propane heater on them if I need them to run. And the preheaters all work, so anyone that says I have something wrong is full of male bovine feces.

Last edited:

ethernaut85

I was looking at it today and noticed there is a threaded plug below the oil filler cap. I was thinking about looking into a block heater that would thread into the block if I could find one. I planned on putting a 24v battery tender on it for the winter too.

Ratch

You can pull a freeze plug to insert a block heater, that would be the most efficient thing to do.
I've started 802's and I think my 803 in sub-freezing temps without preheating. The 802/3 seem to start much easier than the 002/3, though in warm weather, my 002 fires up pretty quickly.

I can't speak for sub-zero, but I wouldn't be terribly concerned.

I think the threaded port you're describing accesses the oil reservoir, so you'd need to be sure you use a heater compatible with oil and not antifreeze. I would use a freeze plug, though.
You could also drop about $100 on a heater you plumb in to the coolant hoses.

Block heaters are costly to use, too.

ethernaut85

Ratch - that's good to hear, I noticed you're in PA which makes me think your situation would be similar to mine being from WV. I've never used a freeze plug before, are they threaded? I found where I think it would go on the intake side of the block below the head about midway between the cylinders. It looks like a plug I might be able to pull out with pliers. Nothing to put a socket or screwdriver to. Is this where the block heater would go?

Depending on how it starts this winter when it's cold, I might put the block heater on a thermostat and only run it when it's very cold. Do you know what size block heater I would need? I've been looking all evening and not having much luck.

thanks for your help

rustystud

I gave an 802 and an 002a, they both suck in cold weather. I keep the batteries charged and keep a propane heater on them if I need them to run. And the preheaters all work, so anyone that says I have something wrong is full of male bovine feces.
I also have some MEP-002A generators and they start just fine in winter as long as you use the glow plugs. You need to hold the switch over for 60 seconds to heat the glow plugs. Are you "sure" the glow plugs work ? There is also the preheater which you said works fine. I am not "full of Bovine feces either" .

Ratch

Ratch - that's good to hear, I noticed you're in PA which makes me think your situation would be similar to mine being from WV. I've never used a freeze plug before, are they threaded? I found where I think it would go on the intake side of the block below the head about midway between the cylinders. It looks like a plug I might be able to pull out with pliers. Nothing to put a socket or screwdriver to. Is this where the block heater would go?

Depending on how it starts this winter when it's cold, I might put the block heater on a thermostat and only run it when it's very cold. Do you know what size block heater I would need? I've been looking all evening and not having much luck.

thanks for your help
Yeah, that's probably a good place for it. I remember there being freeze plugs on each side, and the starter-side plugs being a little higher. Putting one on the lower side is probably better for convective coolant flow. I looked into doing this for mine a while back, but opted against it because of the power consumption.
Freeze plugs can be dug out.
Here's the first vid that came up on youtube about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZg5J0nQ6H0

It sounds oversized, but a 1500 watt unit will keep your genset nice and toasty (and your electric bill high). You will probably be fine with less than a 1000w heater. They all should operate by internal thermostat to maintain water temp. I use 1500 watt external block heaters on Cummins 6BT's or 4BT's, or a little Ford 6-cyl gas engine (even though a gasser doesn't really need a heater for starting assistance).
One thing to keep in mind is that if you go too small, the heat stays in a smaller area, which means as the coolant cycles past it, it cools off faster, which makes it cycle past the heater again, and keeps your heater running all the time. I wouldn't go larger than a 1500 watt, because it might be too much heat concentrated in a small place before the thermostat opens, but maybe not...I don't really know.

I think putting it on a t-stat is a good idea. A block heater is useless when the power goes out, but since you don't know when the power will go out, you kind of need to leave it on there all the time for it to be ready when needed. But a stat that keeps it off until it's like 10 degrees f would keep the "on" times to just when you're most likely to need more heat than the preheaters/glow plugs will provide.

There's a 1500 watt freeze plug block heater for an LPW2/3/4 on a particular auction site right now. That's the engine used in the 802/803.

jimbo913

They sell small propane forced air heaters which run on rechargable battery packs. Might be easier to hit it with that for 10min if it wont start than to run a block heater 24/7.

CT-Mike

How about a diesel fired coolant heater? One of those wouldn't take long to warm up the engine.
That's why I asked. My -803A came with the Arctic Heater Mod - tested it out and that thing will get the coolant up to temp in less than 15 minutes. It sips a miserly 0.06 gal/hr in high heat mode, but also draws 1.8 amps/hr, so some sort of permanent battery charger would be warranted. Definitely would recommend it.

If you like, I can look at the labeling and see who manufactures it (Webasto, etc), and possibly get a model #/part #.

Grab a copy of TB 9-6115-642-13 for more info.

CT-Mike

I will see what I can find for you Chris, won't be till tomorrow as I am working till 6 tonight. I listed the manual above, and the cover sheet gives NSN 6115-01-477-0564 for the entire unit if that helps in the meantime.

CT-Mike

From what I can find in my limited research capacity at work, it is an Espar D5W heater 24V version.

CT-Mike

The info I posted is for the -803a. It appears the -802a uses the same heater, but has a different NSN (6115-01-476-8973) and a different Army TB (TB 9-6115-641-13).

Coley

I installed one of the 100w stick on oil pan heaters on the bottom of one up here in Alaska and it has been doing good starting. Coldest it has been this year so far was -20. Oil pan heater is stuck on bottom of oil pan and 110 extension cord to power it comes in through the output (load) wiring hole and goes back to heater.

CF

CDR

Never had any issues starting my 002 or my 802 at 0 degrees if your having issues I think you better give it a good once over

cuad4u

I have "reset" 802 and 803 generators. Both will start right up in cold weather (32F) without using the glow plugs. My 002 and 003 require glow plugs when temp is below around 50 degrees F. When using glow plugs the 002 and 003 start right up down to 20 degrees F. However the 002 and 003 both spit and sputter and belch black smoke and run a bit rough for 30 seconds or so when started in really cold weather which in my case is 20F.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
In a pinch, when its COLD, and your having a hard time starting any diesel engine, remove the air filter and use a gas torch, propane torch, or even a hair dryer to blow warm/hot air into the air intake. It will start right now!

Guyfang

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks