• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 803 with problems shutting down

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Woohoo! Friggin finally.

My gut feeling is that its wired up wrong. I bet someone swapped the output and exciter wires.

Did your charge indicator work? It should show in the green when the unit is running.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The exciter wire is a smaller gauge than the power output wire. Make sure the smaller wire is on the EXC terminal and the larger wire is on the + terminal.

Triton

I haven't checked it in so long I forget, I'll check the wiring in the am. I don't know how you figured that out but it's been good for me to better learn the unit. Would that keep the unit from putting out power?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to go lookup the output terminals on the alternator. There may be a combination of wires that would do that. Were each of the wires on the alternator landed on different terminals?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't checked it in so long I forget, I'll check the wiring in the am. I don't know how you figured that out but it's been good for me to better learn the unit. Would that keep the unit from putting out power?
I kept going over the wiring diagram and looking for places where power could be injected into the "RUN" circuit. After we had exhausted component failures I figured it had to be a wiring error. Also since you indicated that the voltage was present only while the engine was running and not when the engine was stopped it suddenly jumped out at me that the alternator could be the culprit. When I looked at the wiring diagram and saw that the EXC terminal goes STRAIGHT to Term3 on S1 (RUN) it was an AH HA moment.

Triton

Well it was wired wrong, the exciter wire was in the wrong place and what's ironic is there is a diagram on the alternator that says where the wire connects. The batteries were charged so the gauge went to full charge pretty quick. I noticed that the fuel and temp gauges are pegged out all the way to the right, oil psi is 57 so that's good. Still no power but that's the next thing.
Thank you so much for your help!
Keith

Guyfang

Staff member
Its not easy to troubleshoot by proxy.
I always tried to do it that way, to save driving 100's of klicks, but mostly, it is simply easier, faster and more educating, (for both of us!) to be on the spot. If I could do it, great! If not, well, I love to drive but was doing about 3000 klicks a week, AND 8-10 hours a day working. Driving was extra. Got paid for it, but money don't buy time!!

I once troubleshoot a problem for two days online. This kid would never answer my questions directly. When I finally had time, I drove to Hanau to put hands on. 350 klicks, one way. Got there, flipped the parallel switch back into the single position and went home. Three minutes fixing the problem, ten minutes screaming at this butthead and almost 8 hours on the autobahn. It was a friday. NEVER go anyplace on friday in germany. I should have choked him.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks