• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 803a Engine Sludged Up

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like something some potheads would do. I'd think any self-respecting pothead would only be using offgrid solar. Nasty ole dino juice is just not prog.
There is a world of difference between your neighbor who went to Woodstock, and folks who are growing commercially. Even with that said, many people are now getting into cogeneration, and multiple power inputs tied to the same off grid network (solar, wind, water turbines, backup dino sources). Alternative power has come a long way.

Guyfang

Staff member
Whats the deal in the States with Bio Gas power set up? Big stuff here. Lots of them around, and more going on line every day. Now, they are being combined with Solar power. Smart move.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think Europe (and the rest of the world) has a jump on biogas cogen. There are things on smaller scales (some universities around here maintain cogen plants on site), but I can't speak to the larger industry. I like the more rudimentary, DIY stuff.

Guyfang

Staff member
Here you cant DIY. Different laws. Different ways. But lots of farmers are big time into the Bio Gas power plants. Kinda interesting. The firm where I worked, did the electrical part. It was fun work. And the Farmers, always treated us REAL good. Solar, Bio Gas, or emergency hook ups, those folks treated us well. We never had to worry about what we would have to bring for lunch, (or sometimes dinner) when we worked on the farms. We always ate with the family. Good folks. I will try and get a few pictures of some of the places I worked on close by here.

NEIOWA

Had an engineer acquaintance neighbor who was hired for an experimental/proof of concept project for a bio/cogen installation at a NE Iowa college dairy demonstration farm. About 15yr ago. He had a large pile of fed grant $ so installed a new good size genset. As I recall was over 200kw CAT. I assume spark ignited so might not have been a CAT.

It worked to make juice but on teardown/inspection of the engine they found that the fart fuel as horribly (unacceptable) corrosive to the innerds of the engine. I think they ended up abandoning the project.

I've wondered how the issues were solved in eurp or if they just plan to overhaul the engines way early ($$$)

Guyfang

Staff member
Had an engineer acquaintance neighbor who was hired for an experimental/proof of concept project for a bio/cogen installation at a NE Iowa college dairy demonstration farm. About 15yr ago. He had a large pile of fed grant $ so installed a new good size genset. As I recall was over 200kw CAT. I assume spark ignited so might not have been a CAT.

It worked to make juice but on teardown/inspection of the engine they found that the fart fuel as horribly (unacceptable) corrosive to the innerds of the engine. I think they ended up abandoning the project.

I've wondered how the issues were solved in eurp or if they just plan to overhaul the engines way early ($$$)
Don't know. I will try and ask. We just install the electrical stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks