• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A Repair Assistance

justinn

Of the 2 sticky ones, I was able to polish one of them and get it operating smoothly. I think the other one may be a lost cause though. I will attempt once more to fine polish it and get it operating correctly. Small steps on the polishing front!

That said, it will now hold a 40% load without hunting, even with the other slightly sticky IP. At 100% load, it now hunts about 7 Hz, which is way better than before! So if anyone has unsolvable hunting issues, check for sticky IP's! FWIW, they look spotless and could easily pass for new. Once they heat up, the tolerances become slightly too tight and it has a drag on the IP.

Justin

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Of the 2 sticky ones, I was able to polish one of them and get it operating smoothly. I think the other one may be a lost cause though. I will attempt once more to fine polish it and get it operating correctly. Small steps on the polishing front!

That said, it will now hold a 40% load without hunting, even with the other slightly sticky IP. At 100% load, it now hunts about 7 Hz, which is way better than before! So if anyone has unsolvable hunting issues, check for sticky IP's! FWIW, they look spotless and could easily pass for new. Once they heat up, the tolerances become slightly too tight and it has a drag on the IP.

Justin
Good find. I'm sure it can still be cleaned up. Usually they will get loose if they're worn out, not tight.

justinn

Just a final update....

After basically "blueprinting" the #3 IP, it still had a slight drag when hot(running for 10+ minutes when under 80+% load). The fluctuation was slight, but present and you could still feel a slight drag on the rack when hot. I removed the IP once again and went over it with a fine toothed comb. The only other issue was that there was an over so slight nick on the upper part of the piece that slides in to the rack(the circular piece that sits inside the IP). I carefully filed that down, polished it up, reinstalled and she now runs like a champ at 110% load. It was a long journey, but through pure stubbornness, I prevailed! The super odd thing about all of it is that gen had never even had a bolt turned on it, so it would have had to been in there from manufacturing.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, and I feel much more intimate with these 8xx series now :ROFLMAO:

Now on to the HMMWV's for a bit
Justin

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
Just a final update....

After basically "blueprinting" the #3 IP, it still had a slight drag when hot(running for 10+ minutes when under 80+% load). The fluctuation was slight, but present and you could still feel a slight drag on the rack when hot. I removed the IP once again and went over it with a fine toothed comb. The only other issue was that there was an over so slight nick on the upper part of the piece that slides in to the rack(the circular piece that sits inside the IP). I carefully filed that down, polished it up, reinstalled and she now runs like a champ at 110% load. It was a long journey, but through pure stubbornness, I prevailed! The super odd thing about all of it is that gen had never even had a bolt turned on it, so it would have had to been in there from manufacturing.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, and I feel much more intimate with these 8xx series now :ROFLMAO:

Justin
It’s good to know that good governor control really depends on good IP health with these LP engines. Your determination has paid off! Great work 😁

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
Just a final update....

Justin
Glad you found it! I had an MEP-016B that had a slight nick on the regulator that caused issues as well. Injection Pumps are very fine tuned machines. Digging in can be irritating, demoralizing, and make you want to toss tools. But, once you do get it. It gives you that good feeling that if there is an issue down the road, you will know exactly what to do next time.

justinn

Glad you found it! I had an MEP-016B that had a slight nick on the regulator that caused issues as well. Injection Pumps are very fine tuned machines. Digging in can be irritating, demoralizing, and make you want to toss tools. But, once you do get it. It gives you that good feeling that if there is an issue down the road, you will know exactly what to do next time.
A few tools were indeed tossed! I think that's an actual step in the TM(or at least it should be). "If you have tried all of the above and are still experiencing an issue, grab the 3/4 inch wrench and chunk it at an inanimate object; Then try the previous steps again"

Justin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks