• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-803A turns off slow

mdhc3

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and hope you guys can help.

I recently purchased a 99 mep-803A locally here is San Diego

mdhc3

Whoops! Pushed enter accidentally.

Anyway the unit starts and runs fine, outputs power as it should, but when I turn the switch to off it takes 1-2 minutes to power down.

The first time it happened I thought the switch was bad so I used the emergency button and it was slow too.

Is this normal in everyone elses experience? Or do I have something else going on.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, not normal. You may want to have a moderator move this post to the Auxiliary Equipment section. All the generator discussions are there.

My first thought is a sticky linkage on the fuel solenoid. You may want to lubricate and make sure it operates freely.

Guyfang

Staff member
Yes, this needs to be moved to Auxillery Equipment.

As riverjet wrote, linkage is the first place to look. There is a document uploaded into the TM forum here, that tells you how to install and or adjust the linkage. Check that out. A quick way to see if it's the linkage or an electric problem is to start up the set. Let it run. Walk over to the left side and unplug the L4 and see if the engine stops normally or not. Normal should be 10-15 second Seconds? What say the rest of you guys? That sound right?

mdhc3

Thank you guys for your assistance! I will check it ASAP and respond. This was my first forum post I guess o should have read the directions. Sorry! Thank you for your patience.

mdhc3

Thank you guys again. I was finally able to get out to the generator yesterday but my phone wouldn't load the manual.
I will print the directions next time. The travel of the solenoid seems good but I will measure. The unit ran prefect again but still taking at least 2 minutes to power off.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved to correct forum.

Please include your state in your location as the rules request.

Bmxenbrett

The solenoid may not be throwing the whole distance needed to shutdown the fuel. You might try and disconnect it and throw it manualy to check.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have one like that. Used to be alot worse. Its an internal thing on mine. The solenoid throws properly on it. The more I used it the better it got. Now it takes maybe 10 seconds to shut down. Used to be around 30-40 seconds.

jamawieb

You have 1 or 2 problems. The adjustment on the shut off solenoid (that is attached to the front of the motor) is not letting the arm extend far enough to shut it down or one of the pumps is not in the rack correctly. Does the generator put run properly? Is it able to hold 10kw (or 80%) plus load? If these 2 answers are no then you have a pump problem.

mdhc3

Thank you.

I will measure the throw this weekend and try it manually. It runs very well although I haven't tried to put a large draw on it. I'm using it for power at a desert property and haven't needed the ac in my trailer, which will be my biggest consumer, since I took it down there. I will run the a/c too and see what happens! Thx again everyone

jamawieb

When starting the unit does it immediately start and go to 60 hertz? Or does it crank, then slowly get up to speed (60 hertz)?

Guyfang

Staff member
Ok, I have been sitting here on my sicko couch, thinking about this problem. A long time ago, maybe 2004? I had to go work on a 803A that would not turn off. I was new to the TQG's. I fooled with it a while, and then decided to change the solinoid. That didn't bring me joy. The problem was that the solinoid was not retracting. For me, it had to be electrical. While testing in the control panel, I thought about switching around the plastic relays, because they are all the same. So I did. Same problem. Then it hit me. No, they are not all the same. The first "relay", is a switch. Not a relay. And low and behold, S14, the plastic "relay" to the far left side, was indeed a relay. I took out a S14 from another set, stuck it in, and away it went. Yes you can switch them. Same base and pin setup. Yes the set can start like that. Just a thought. I only saw it once. I am probably wrong. But next time you go out and look, peek inside.

mdhc3

I finally made it back out to the property this weekend and went through all of the tips you guys provided.

I have only run the unit a handful of times but I realized the shutoff solenoid want clunking like it had been when I first set it up. I ordered a new solenoid and will install this weekend.

I think the solenoid piston may be broken or disconnected inside the solenoid body.

Makes me wonder how it actually shut down at all...

I will report my results.
Thank you all for your help!

Guyfang

Staff member
The piston is NOT connected in the solenoid. If you have the solenoid in your hand, plugged in and hooked up, you can energize it. Its when you deenergize it, that the piston will fly out at a rate of speed that could surprise you. When the solenoid is bolted to the engine, and the linkage is hooked up, the piston can not go anyplace unwanted. In the TM forum, there is an info paper on how to properly set up the linkage. If it were me, I would download and print it out.

mdhc3

I checked the linkage and the travel of the cylinder on Sunday and everything seems good. The problem seems to be that when the machine is called the solenoid operates fine I followed the procedure and it tested without any trouble. Several hours later after running for awhile the solenoids loses any function. When I turn the switch off it doesn't do anything and eventually 10 to 15 minutes later the machine finally shuts off

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks