• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A whole house standby generator

kaletheriot

Thanks to the help of several on this board, and specifically Kurt Klopp's one wire start and transfer boards, I've finally completed my whole house standby unit! Wanted to share the final outcome.

3.jpg1.jpg

• MEP-803A 10k Generator
  • 100 Gallon bulk tank pedestal
  • Generac automatic transfer switch
  • Auto start and transfer boards
  • Duel 12v batter maintainers
  • Paint job with decals

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to the help of several on this board, and specifically Kurt Klopp's one wire start and transfer boards, I've finally completed my whole house standby unit! Wanted to share the final outcome.

View attachment 909579View attachment 909580

• MEP-803A 10k Generator
  • 100 Gallon bulk tank pedestal
  • Generac automatic transfer switch
  • Auto start and transfer boards
  • Duel 12v batter maintainers
  • Paint job with decals
That's one heck f a paint job!! Looks great!

kaletheriot

Looks great! Love the paint color. We’re did you get the stencils? They make it. Looks like it came factory!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks great! Love the paint color. We’re did you get the stencils? They make it. Looks like it came factory!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wet sanded the generator to get rid of the chalky tan and the gray came from Lowes.
Made the stencils on a silhouette vinyl cutter. Searched for logos online, but nothing. Just typed up a couple different fonts that i liked.

kaletheriot

Great work and solid execution! Would you be interested in making up a couple of those tanks for those of us jealous souls on this Forum?
Wish i could, but I had the guys in the back build mine as a favor (government project). I think it would be frowned upon to start up a production line!

The tank has the same dimensions as the generator case, and approximately 13" tall, giving it a volume of just under 100 gallons.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish i could, but I had the guys in the back build mine as a favor (government project). I think it would be frowned upon to start up a production line!

The tank has the same dimensions as the generator case, and approximately 13" tall, giving it a volume of just under 100 gallons.
If you still have the Drawings/Details/Measurements from the tank build, please post them.

odge

I was able to find a company that builds these tanks. I don't see any dimensions listed for the tanks though so I don't know if they would fit our 803s. Not sure if I can post a link to that website on here.

kaletheriot

If you still have the Drawings/Details/Measurements from the tank build, please post them.
Tank is 32" wide, 60" long and 12" tall - 1/8" steel - 99.7 gallons when full.

The two long edges were bent in a break and the short ends were welded in. The top edges were bent in a break to give the guys a lip to weld the top to.

1.jpg2.jpg
Blew a hole in the bottom of the generator case to run the fuel filler and aux fuel line to the tank inside of the front door. I had to take the back panel off of the generator and drill a hole to run the fuel line from the onboard fuel tank aux pump, through the generator case, to the front side to plumb in.
3.jpg
5.jpg
Bolted 2" angle to the stock holes on the generator skid, and was able to just weld the angle to the tank once built. If i ever want to take the generator off of the tank, (4) bolts and its off.

3" flat bar was welded along the bottom edges - gave me tabs to anchor the generator down to the slab, and keeps the bottom of the tank off of the ground.

The tank sides were probably strong enough to support the generator, but we ended up adding (3) angle braces on each side between the flanges to take some of the stress off of the side walls.

Added a small drain valve in the back bottom corner.
59ABDAE4-4719-434B-8754-0E76C4E08761.jpeg
6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks