• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804A Diode Ring Destroyed

Ray70

Evvy, is the front of the generator housing totally solid or does it have air openings in it?
If I recall from your original post, you bought this set from a private owner, not the govt. auction?
Normally when I get a new machine, first thing I do is steam clean everything to get off all the dirt dust and oil / fuel junk.
I'm wondering if the previous owner washed it and then let it sit with a little water in the bellhousing??
It doesn't look like anything I would be concerned about as it appears to be water, not coolant, and it has since dried up.
I assume your radiator is still holding full?

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Evvy, is the front of the generator housing totally solid or does it have air openings in it?
If I recall from your original post, you bought this set from a private owner, not the govt. auction?
Normally when I get a new machine, first thing I do is steam clean everything to get off all the dirt dust and oil / fuel junk.
I'm wondering if the previous owner washed it and then let it sit with a little water in the bellhousing??
It doesn't look like anything I would be concerned about as it appears to be water, not coolant, and it has since dried up.
I assume your radiator is still holding full?
Hi Ray,
I did buy it from Ritchie Brothers, but we've questioned all along whether it was DEMIL'd to Ritchie, then me, or via some convoluted path by which another private owner got it before I did. As part of the evidence of previous private ownership, the connection plate bolts weren't grade 8 or yellow zinc dichromate plated. There's no evidence of an internal water leak. The water level in the radiator has been stable. Under the stain in the picture is what appears to be a drain hole, but there's a bolt in it. I wonder if that's meant to be a weep hole...

I'm glad you aren't concerned. I felt that somehow water got in from outside and didn't think about power washing.

Evvy-

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi Ray,
I did buy it from Ritchie Brothers, but we've questioned all along whether it was DEMIL'd to Ritchie, then me, or via some convoluted path by which another private owner got it before I did. As part of the evidence of previous private ownership, the connection plate bolts weren't grade 8 or yellow zinc dichromate plated. There's no evidence of an internal water leak. The water level in the radiator has been stable. Under the stain in the picture is what appears to be a drain hole, but there's a bolt in it. I wonder if that's meant to be a weep hole...

I'm glad you aren't concerned. I felt that somehow water got in from outside and didn't think about power washing.

Evvy-
A lot of equipment dealers will give whatever they buy a steam cleaning.
Washes off all the evidence of a needed repair though...

Smarter folks "Spidey Senses" will get activated on a perfectly clean machine.

(Minor Edit: I forgot the word "dealer" in the first line.)

Last edited:

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
at some risk of being a smart ass ??

WATER is this cause, and fresh water, not ENGINE water, so back to the idea of pressure washing or just plain ole rain water leaking in, I'd clean it up and move on ...

Best: mac/mc MCII
LOL Mac, I’m always smart patooty! Yeah… it sounds like everyone is in agreement that it’s just plain old water. I feel pretty good about it with y’all weighing in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guyfang

Staff member
Rather normal. Could have gotten there after someone pressure washed the set. Nothing to worry about. Good news is no oil. Oil, rear main. Always good for a work out!

See lots of dirt! And wires hanging all over the place! That white thing on the bottom a large paint flake? Tape hanging down? Someone need to fire up the boss lady!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks