• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-804B Overvoltage Shutdown

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, then we need to see what Arty gets from the test.
Guyfang thank you for jumping in. Sorry stupid question, how do i reset? Below I will post the results of the test of A1 and the voltage pot seperately.
On the fault indicator panel is a reset switch. If you do not reset the fault, the indicator continues to shut the set off for the same fault. You can also pull the plug on the fault indicator panel, and try and start the set. Will it funtion properly? Keep in mind, all safety functions are now bypassed. But shortly, for troubleshooting, it should not be a problem.

Arty

Well, then we need to see what Arty gets from the test.

On the fault indicator panel is a reset switch. If you do not reset the fault, the indicator continues to shut the set off for the same fault. You can also pull the plug on the fault indicator panel, and try and start the set. Will it funtion properly? Keep in mind, all safety functions are now bypassed. But shortly, for troubleshooting, it should not be a problem.
Thank you for all the help finally got it running but after a few hours have a new issue. Seems like my governor actuator is burnt/out, where could I find a replacement. Cant seem to find one online. Maybe its just me but can anyone tell me where I can find one?

Arty

What makes you think its "Burnt out".
So the unit was running and then suddenly it shut down. No black smoke on crank so i figured its a no fuel issue. Ive troubleshot it but maybe im missing something. Here is everything i did.

- checked the mpu, getting 3.004 ish volts on crank.
- There is power coming from the Governor to the actuator when I crank, 20-24 volts
- Opened up one of the lines going to the injectors, right where they branch off, almost no fuel pressure on crank. The Fuel pumps work as they fill the the filter and all the lines up to it with fuel once im in prime. (changed the filter in the process)
- Even though i saw your advice on another thread about not pulling the actuator because its a pita to reinstall, after all of the above troubleshooting i finally pulled it and gave it voltage outside of the unit and it doesnt actuate. There is also a strong burnt smell coming from the actuator itself.

Its evident someone played with this unit and / jerry-rigged it as it is not the original actuator. It is some woodward one, larger than the original so the second bolt was a pain in the ass to remove. Plus they soldered the p10 connector of the previous actuator to it and did a horrible job soldering, doubt it was done while in service. Really i have 3 questions.

1. Did i miss something with troubleshooting?
2. Where can I find a replacement actuator ?
3. What makes it a pita to install? Does it need calibration/adjustment maybe?

Thanks again!

Arty

So the unit was running and then suddenly it shut down. No black smoke on crank so i figured its a no fuel issue. Ive troubleshot it but maybe im missing something. Here is everything i did.

- There is power coming from the Governor to the actuator when I crank, 20-24 volts
- Opened up one of the lines going to the injectors, right where they branch off, almost no fuel pressure on crank. The Fuel pumps work as they fill the the filter and all the lines up to it with fuel once im in prime. (changed the filter in the process)
- Even though i saw your advice on another thread about not pulling the actuator because its a pita to reinstall, after all of the above troubleshooting i finally pulled it and gave it voltage outside of the unit and it doesnt actuate. There is also a strong burnt smell coming from the actuator itself.

Its evident someone played with this unit and / jerry-rigged it as it is not the original actuator. It is some woodward one, larger than the original so the second bolt was a pain in the ass to remove. Plus they soldered the p10 connector of the previous actuator to it and did a horrible job soldering, doubt it was done while in service. Really i have 3 questions.

Thanks again!
Can someone please chime in. There has to be somewhere that has these in stock. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Guyfang

Staff member
Sorry. The entire gen set has been sold. I looked in epay, and no joy.
NSN: 2990-01-571-1462
Part #: 8175-1507
Manufacturer: Woodward
Another part # was 97-24018, but no NSN to go with it.

If you can not find one used someplace, call Woodward and ask for help. Will cost about 500 smackers or more. Or that is what the Army paid, anyway.

The reason I said its a PITA to replace it is because some folks do not get the connection of yoke and rod hooked up right. Then you have to remove it again and try all over. I dont think its all that hard, but then I have done it a few times.

Arty

Sorry. The entire gen set has been sold. I looked in epay, and no joy.
NSN: 2990-01-571-1462
Part #: 8175-1507
Manufacturer: Woodward
Another part # was 97-24018, but no NSN to go with it.

If you can not find one used someplace, call Woodward and ask for help. Will cost about 500 smackers or more. Or that is what the Army paid, anyway.

The reason I said its a PITA to replace it is because some folks do not get the connection of yoke and rod hooked up right. Then you have to remove it again and try all over. I dont think its all that hard, but then I have done it a few times.
Thanks Guyfang! I assume the troubleshooting points to it since you didn't comment on it? Just wana make sure im not searching so hard for something that isnt bad :)

Guyfang

Staff member

- Even though i saw your advice on another thread about not pulling the actuator because its a pita to reinstall, after all of the above troubleshooting i finally pulled it and gave it voltage outside of the unit and it doesn't actuate. There is also a strong burnt smell coming from the actuator itself.

These points above would lead me to believe the actuator is bad.

Its evident someone played with this unit and / jerry-rigged it as it is not the original actuator. It is some Woodward (The right actuator is made by Woodward. What is the part number on it?) one, larger than the original so the second bolt was a pain in the ass to remove. Plus they soldered the p10 connector of the previous actuator to it and did a horrible job soldering, doubt it was done while in service. Really i have 3 questions.

Thanks again!
Open to read comments.

calucyk

Thank you for all the help finally got it running but after a few hours have a new issue. Seems like my governor actuator is burnt/out, where could I find a replacement. Cant seem to find one online. Maybe its just me but can anyone tell me where I can find one?
Arty, I'm having the same issue with my MEP-804a - over voltage. My voltage regulatory, rheostat, resistor, and power transformer are TRC. I can disconnect the A2 and the machine runs without holding S1 in the start position. I reset the fault switch on the MIF panel. My regulator and pot test results were similar to yours. What was the final solution(s). Thanks, Tony

Xcellconstruction

Arty, I'm having the same issue with my MEP-804a - over voltage. My voltage regulatory, rheostat, resistor, and power transformer are TRC. I can disconnect the A2 and the machine runs without holding S1 in the start position. I reset the fault switch on the MIF panel. My regulator and pot test results were similar to yours. What was the final solution(s). Thanks, Tony
This sounds like the same problemI am having with my mep804b. As soon as I start the generator it struggles to run and a over voltage light comes on. It also blows the fuse next to the voltage regulator. Have you found a remedy for your issue?

calucyk

This sounds like the same problemI am having with my mep804b. As soon as I start the generator it struggles to run and a over voltage light comes on. It also blows the fuse next to the voltage regulator. Have you found a remedy for your issue?
I followed the VR TM test instructions. See attachment for my results. It confirmed the VR was bad, so I replaced it with the VR kit Kurt Klopp’s sells. My machine works perfect now!

Attachments

Xcellconstruction

I followed the VR TM test instructions. See attachment for my results. It confirmed the VR was bad, so I replaced it with the VR kit Kurt Klopp’s sells. My machine works perfect now!
This is good info thanks. I will test mine later tonight. Did you have a problem with you fuse next to the VR blowing also? Mine blows if I attempt to run it.

calucyk

That’s what I figured to but I replaced the VR from one I purchased off eBay and had the same result. I guess it is possible they are both bad. I will be doing a test on mine soon to find out for sure.
I read a lot of threads before digging into testing. In my case with a high voltage light, and a bad VR, the fuse remained good. In my research, I found a bad VR does not always blow the fuse. Again, that was the case with my machine.

Who did you buy your eBay VR from? I ask because I bought one too, and Klopp’s kit, thinking I would maintain OEM function, but hedged with Klopp’s kit. I installed the eBay VR and it immediately blew the fuse. I could have tested the VR further, ruling out a bad VR, but instead, I pulled it and installed Klopp’s kit. It is a very good kit with all the supplies and instructions to complete a professional installation. After installation, the generator works perfect!

This is the eBay VR I bought: https://www.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrder...,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid

thanks, Tony

Xcellconstruction

I read a lot of threads before digging into testing. In my case with a high voltage light, and a bad VR, the fuse remained good. In my research, I found a bad VR does not always blow the fuse. Again, that was the case with my machine.

Who did you buy your eBay VR from? I ask because I bought one too, and Klopp’s kit, thinking I would maintain OEM function, but hedged with Klopp’s kit. I installed the eBay VR and it immediately blew the fuse. I could have tested the VR further, ruling out a bad VR, but instead, I pulled it and installed Klopp’s kit. It is a very good kit with all the supplies and instructions to complete a professional installation. After installation, the generator works perfect!

This is the eBay VR I bought: https://www.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderDetails?itemId=304022425408&transactionId=1927214060020&mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11401.m1842.l5919&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=ff66153b94aa400da8a3f8e92acec897&bu=43186263253&osub=-1~1&crd=20211231100939&segname=11401&sojTags=ch=ch,bu=bu,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid

thanks, Tony

This is the eBay VR I bought: https://www.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderDetails?itemId=304022425408&transactionId=1927214060020&mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11401.m1842.l5919&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=ff66153b94aa400da8a3f8e92acec897&bu=43186263253&osub=-1~1&crd=20211231100939&segname=11401&sojTags=ch=ch,bu=bu,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid

thanks, Tony
That’s a different

thanks, Tony
I couldn’t open that link but I think it is a different seller. The person I bought from seemed solid and he was even trying to help me with my problem and told me to come to this site. His username on eBay was gijoeczar.
I think you sold me on a Klopp’s kitHow would I go about buying one? I googled it but didn’t really find anything.

Guyfang

Staff member
I couldn’t open that link but I think it is a different seller. The person I bought from seemed solid and he was even trying to help me with my problem and told me to come to this site. His username on eBay was gijoeczar.
I think you sold me on a Klopp’s kitHow would I go about buying one? I googled it but didn’t really find anything.

I too could not open that link. I know gijoeczar. He would never knowingly cheat anyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks