• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP filters listing help please both 804A/B and others.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the first one... scan 2.... item at top then manufacture and pn below, infinite number of lines going down, left to right not so much

BobbyT

I think both are good. But as 155 mentioned, (scan 2) i think its better to have the info under the column headers. It's easier for most to filter if using Excel that way. For example, you can filter the "Oil Filters" column by alphabetical order or if you only want to see the Donaldson filters, if there are more than one listed. Then have a tab in that excel sheet for each generator model.

Guyfang

Staff member
I think both are good. But as 155 mentioned, (scan 2) i think its better to have the info under the column headers. It's easier for most to filter if using Excel that way. For example, you can filter the "Oil Filters" column by alphabetical order or if you only want to see the Donaldson filters, if there are more than one listed. Then have a tab in that excel sheet for each generator model.
I would like to do the Tab thing, but if we post it in SS, thats not allowed. Sooooooooo, if we want a "living document, we need to put it someplace else. And that defeats the purpose of having all our info in SS. Any other ideas? Some way around that?

wciguy

Howdy folks. I have been buying and selling MEP gensets for several years and created spreadsheets with a maintenance schedule and a place to record hours and dates when the items were accomplished to furnish to the purchasers. I am attaching an example. I have a filter interchange at the bottom.

Attachments

BobbyT

I would like to do the Tab thing, but if we post it in SS, thats not allowed. Sooooooooo, if we want a "living document, we need to put it someplace else. And that defeats the purpose of having all our info in SS. Any other ideas? Some way around that?
Guy, I forgot to reply to you the other day, but you mention its "not allowed"? i didn't see anywhere in the rules section that an excel spreadsheet wasn't allowed, unless I'm totally missing it, which wouldn't be the first time ;). Surely there is a way to create a dynamic document in a forum scenario.

Guyfang

Staff member
Guy, I forgot to reply to you the other day, but you mention its "not allowed"? i didn't see anywhere in the rules section that an excel spreadsheet wasn't allowed, unless I'm totally missing it, which wouldn't be the first time ;). Surely there is a way to create a dynamic document in a forum scenario.
I talked to Patracy once about us making a list of TM's, in a Excel format. If I remember right, he explained to me that the SS format would not accept it. I wanted to post a list of TM's in a listing, that was a "Living Document". Meaning, I could add, subtract and change the listing. That way we could post something that was up to date in real time, and not post a never ending line of PDF documents. If one or two people had "control" over the living document, then it would be up to date, in real time, but could NOT be changed by anyone else. You could lump all the TM's in the SS forum, into one list. Search it by any number of ways, for the TM you want. Then link the TM number to the TM. Find the TM you want, click on the TM number and presto, there it is. You could do it also with gen sets, service parts and or other common parts.

reset2

Don't know what happened to everyone but it looks great to me. I does appear to be a lot of work to pull it all together, but you will never know just how many hours you will save the new owners of this MEP sickness at some point we get. Thanks for you help.

Edit-- I should have read to the end before posting.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks