• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep002/3 fuel pump question

Chainbreaker

Just to confirm...since you said your fuel system was so gunked up, you are getting fuel past the fuel line check-valve just before the injection pump? I didn't see any mention of any verification that the injection pump is getting fuel into it.

dstang97

Just to confirm...since you said your fuel system was so gunked up, you are getting fuel past the fuel line check-valve just before the injection pump? I didn't see any mention of any verification that the injection pump is getting fuel into it.
Hmm check valve? You bring up a good point. My batteries were very low so the low pressure fuel pump many not be pumping fuel to pop the pressure on the check valve. I did not pull line at the pump to verify. Figured it was coming out the return so I was fine???

Chainbreaker

Ok, didn't see any mention that you were getting fuel through return line back to tank. However, I wonder how much. Wonder if any of those "globs of whatever" (could be algae growth in fuel system if fuel was left in it for a very long time untreated) you found in fuel made their way to check valve and are restricting flow or gumming it up?

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Often, the fuel is not supplied into the IP in enough force to to allow the IP to distribute fuel to the cylinders. Batteries should be fully charged! Then, this gen set has always had a problem pumping the air out of the lines when its been dry or disconnected. I always loosen the last injector line at the head, and then turn it over. Do not remove the line, unless you are looking to take a bath later tonight. Then turn it over a while. Sometimes it takes more then several tries. Do not overheat the starter!

mtn man

mep-002 CL find in great shape but not cranking.... been working on it last couple nights with IP mounted. Plunger can be tapped in and will pop back out approx 1/16" maybe 1/8" but doesn't go back in with manual fan rotation. I pulled IP tonight and soaking in mmo/diesel... reading this I should have used laquer thinner.... its cheap. Oh gen set is a emp-002 that I picked up last W/e. Had been stored at fire dept for years... and you guessed it not ran. The guy with the vfd did have the tank cleaned and coated, and new filters and a fuel line. Said they soaked the IP as well but hard to know if they removed it. It's a nice unit for a '83 and has only 300 'lonely' hours... I have a '91 I use as my BUP unit and has been flawless. Just need to get this one running now...

dstang97

Pretty much giving up on this one. 33xx hours not going to spen $250 on a new pump on a motor I have never heard with this many hours. I would rather buy a drop in motor for a few hundred more.

Btw any one have a fuel filter housing? Mine got crushed today.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not use this as a launch point to remove the stock setup and modify the set to accept spin on filters?

Guyfang

Staff member
Perhaps someone in the forum has a IP? Oh, before I forget, did you remove the pump? Take it apart? If so, did you replace it with the IP button in it? If not, she ain't gonna work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks