• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep002/3 fuel pump question

dstang97

Why is there 2 pumps that feed the filters? Do they both pump at the same time? Is there 2 in case one breaks?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, its for redundancy sake. Lose one and you are still operationally ready. I wish all products were made like these beauties... not so much any more!

Triple Jim

You should be able to unplug power to them one at a time and verify that the other one keeps fuel flowing. Watch out if you replace one, so you get a new one that allows the other pump to pass fuel through it if it's not working. Some don't.

dstang97

Took off the bottom caps and the screens. They looked horrible. Also blew into the fuel hose and it pushed out 2 big globs of whatever. I'm going to rob some screens out of my other generator and see if I can get this one to fire.

dstang97

Is there a write up on how to clean the plunger on an injection pump? Mine is getting fuel to the IP and then stops.

jamawieb

Is there a write up on how to clean the plunger on an injection pump? Mine is getting fuel to the IP and then stops.
The best way is to take the pump off and clean it. The only bad thing about the 002/003 IP's is they have a plunger guide, which is a thin piece of metal and when the plunger gets stuck, it binds, breaking the guide. Then you have to take the pump apart to get the guide out and replaced.

dstang97

Where is the actual plunger that gets stuck? The one that's in the fuel shut off? The manual shows a few plungers.

Guyfang

Staff member
dstang97,

Give us some backround. Have you seen this generator set run before? Or are you trying to get one running that has been standing for ever? The guide Jamawieb is talking about, tends to break when the set has not run for forty forevers. If it been in running condition, of late, that may not be the case.

dstang97

dstang97,

Give us some backround. Have you seen this generator set run before? Or are you trying to get one running that has been standing for ever? The guide Jamawieb is talking about, tends to break when the set has not run for forty forevers. If it been in running condition, of late, that may not be the case.
Just got the unit. The fuel system was horrible it sat for years. Flushed he fuel system all new filters and tried running it off a Jerry can. The injection pump is not pumping the fuel

jamawieb

The plunger is inside the injector pump. In simple terms, it gets pushed by the cam shaft and drives in/out delivering fuel to the injectors.
Inside the pump are very tight tolerances and the smallest amount of varnish will make the plungers stick. In the center of the pump, in between the injector lines, you see the big 7/8 (I believe) cap? If you take that off, you have a 16mm threaded type bolt, after you remove that, be very careful because their is a spring and delivery valve inside. When you take all that out, you will see the top of the plunger and you should see it move in / out while you rotate the motor by hand. If it doesn't move as you rotate the motor, the plunger is stuck and if you're lucky, you can spray carb cleaner inside and lightly hit the plunger with a brass punch. Then rotate the motor and do it again. Hopefully the plunger guide did not break but you won't really know until you see the plunger moving and the motor will NOT start.
Usually, what I do with a generator that has been sitting for years is to fill the last fuel filter with lacquer thinner, then turn on the fuel pumps and rotate the engine over by hand, while moving the throttle linkage. The lacquer thinner with mix with the fresh diesel I put in the tank and will dissolve the varnish quickly. But you have to do it fast because the lacquer thinner will get diluted to much after a long period of time.

Guyfang

Staff member
The plunger is inside the injector pump. In simple terms, it gets pushed by the cam shaft and drives in/out delivering fuel to the injectors.
Inside the pump are very tight tolerances and the smallest amount of varnish will make the plungers stick. In the center of the pump, in between the injector lines, you see the big 7/8 (I believe) cap? If you take that off, you have a 16mm threaded type bolt, after you remove that, be very careful because their is a spring and delivery valve inside. When you take all that out, you will see the top of the plunger and you should see it move in / out while you rotate the motor by hand. If it doesn't move as you rotate the motor, the plunger is stuck and if you're lucky, you can spray carb cleaner inside and lightly hit the plunger with a brass punch. Then rotate the motor and do it again. Hopefully the plunger guide did not break but you won't really know until you see the plunger moving and the motor will NOT start.
Usually, what I do with a generator that has been sitting for years is to fill the last fuel filter with lacquer thinner, then turn on the fuel pumps and rotate the engine over by hand, while moving the throttle linkage. The lacquer thinner with mix with the fresh diesel I put in the tank and will dissolve the varnish quickly. But you have to do it fast because the lacquer thinner will get diluted to much after a long period of time.
The above passage was gold worth. Oops, that was german, translated into english means, its worth its weight in gold! You know, maybe what we should do is set down and write a check ölist people should use when buying a gen set. Because there are certain things that happen over and over again. Might save some time and money for some unlucky person in the future.

dstang97

How hard do you hit the plunger? I tipped the generator at a 45* and filled the injection pump with sea foam. Let it sit for a few hours. Also tried carb cleaner nothing. Nothing no movement. Almost feels like the plunger is bottomed out.

jamawieb

Sometimes it takes a good tap. Make sure you rotate the motor over by hand because it will "bottom out" if its on the bottom of the camshaft lobe. One of two things happened, you got really lucky and the plunger stuck at the highest point of travel (which means the plunger guide is fine) or the plunger is jammed inside the head.

dstang97

Got the plunger freed up and spins with the motor. Still not pumping and fuel. Also Made sure the stop lever was up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks