• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002A misfire

Trashistreasure

ray70, I was hoping you would say that.
Definitely intended on cleaning up the piston.
I believe that a piece or coil from the failed intake heater got in the valve preventing it from fully closing and causing the piston to hit the valve?

Trashistreasure

Upon pressure testing cylinder 1 there was a small exhaust valve leak ( will inspect further) I think will b fixed by laping the valves. But there also was a small amount of air coming into the crank, is this normal?

Trashistreasure

I should note that cylinder 1 is also coated in carbon so I’m assuming the rings are probably stuck And based on the carbon have been that way for many hours of running

rickf

I am thinking it inhaled something into the intake. That edge of the valve is broke and not burned so something jammed in there. Maybe there is more to the story that your friend is not telling you?
On edit I did not notice page two and I now see the failed intake heater. So I think you have your answer.

Trashistreasure

I believe that is what happened there is no room for error as the pistons come right flush to the top of the block so the only clearance is the thickness of the head gasket so if the valves are open too long or not closed properly they will get smashed

Ray70

Some leakage into the crankcase is normal. There are 3 major reason for this, but suffice to say a small amount of leakage is normal.
If you were to put a 5/8" socket on the blower wheel bolt and just give the crank a slight bit of pressure off of the bottom of the stroke, the air leakage should go down to almost nothing. This is a simple result of how the piston rings are designed to work.
Lapping the valves on the other cylinder should take care of the valve leakage on that one. No valve leakage is the goal, but the motor will still tolerate a small amount of air leaking by the valves, if you can't get it 100% sealed by lapping.

Trashistreasure

Picked up a lapping tool and compound. Upon further inspection I decided to replace both intake valves as cylinder 1 had a slight bit of damage, A good lapping would have fixed but There was already a decent groove worn into the valve Due to bad seals creating a tar like substance all over the valves. also decided to bite the bullet and buy new oil seals for the intake valves as it is much easier to replace them now then once I try to run it. Just waiting on the parts Hoping to have it all back together and ready for a test run by next weekend at the latest

Guyfang

Staff member
Picked up a lapping tool and compound. Upon further inspection I decided to replace both intake valves as cylinder 1 had a slight bit of damage, A good lapping would have fixed but There was already a decent groove worn into the valve Due to bad seals creating a tar like substance all over the valves. also decided to bite the bullet and buy new oil seals for the intake valves as it is much easier to replace them now then once I try to run it. (I like the way you think!) Just waiting on the parts Hoping to have it all back together and ready for a test run by next weekend at the latest

Trashistreasure

Thank you. I know I’m doing a half @$$ job but I’m catching helllllllllllllll from the banker (my wife) for this project, but this @$$ is Trying to do the half of the job to the best of my ability.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks