• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP002A Priming

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any work around on priming a MEP generator other than the fluid passage bolts on top of the filter canisters? I bought a couple out of Ft Hood and got one running without too much grief but when I went to swap filters on the 2nd I found that they had swapped out the original bolts with regular bolts. I haven't been able to find a source for these on line and need to find some way to bleed the system without them or scrap the unit. While the spin-on option is appealing I'm not really willing to sink that kind of money into it without knowing it'll actually run first.

Keith_J

Oh, that is a problem for sure. Thought it was the bleeders on the top. Sorry for the confusing text..

Surely there is someone who has done a conversion to spin on that has these parts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Live on the edge and bypass the filters and test the unit.

Then decide to invest later.

DieselBob

I believe he is looking for item #2 in the diagram. It holds the metal filter can on and is through drilled and a pipe plug installed in the end.

Filter.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found it on parttaget. Should be easy enough to manufacture, if needed.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Bob. DH probably has the best advice. Worst case scenario is I blow it up and burn the shop down.

1800 Diesel

I could be mistaken (been occupied with other duties lately) but I believe I used to bleed the fuel system on my MEP 2 & 3 units without cracking the vent bolts on the housings.
Loosen/remove the hose or line from the inlet side of the IP and then run the pump until the filter housings are filled and the fuel runs steady out of the hose. Place the hose end into an empty 15/40 gallon jug or something suitable. Once you see steady flow with no bubbles, you're good-to-go for reconnecting the line & start up. Definitely would verify that the primary & secondary filters were in place. Do not recommend running the engine without fuel filters (used ones at least) installed.

Kevin

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have 2 units - just borrow the bolts from the first unit to test the second. If it runs or can be made to run, I'd just buy the spin on filters.

rustystud

You should be able to bleed out the system with just the fuel pumps. Just turn it to "run" and then let the fuel pumps run until you hear fuel returning to the fuel tank.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have 2 units - just borrow the bolts from the first unit to test the second. If it runs or can be made to run, I'd just buy the spin on filters.
The 1st unit was purchased for the inlaws and they're picking it up on Tuesday. I'd rather not take the chance of screwing something up where it wouldn't be running when they got here. I've been in the family for 23 years but that doesn't mean they wouldn't try and replace me.

Keith_J

I could be mistaken (been occupied with other duties lately) but I believe I used to bleed the fuel system on my MEP 2 & 3 units without cracking the vent bolts on the housings.
Loosen/remove the hose or line from the inlet side of the IP and then run the pump until the filter housings are filled and the fuel runs steady out of the hose. Place the hose end into an empty 15/40 gallon jug or something suitable. Once you see steady flow with no bubbles, you're good-to-go for reconnecting the line & start up. Definitely would verify that the primary & secondary filters were in place. Do not recommend running the engine without fuel filters (used ones at least) installed.

Kevin
that could work, the issue would be if the copper sealing rings are in place on the bolts. The fuel systems on these units are more often than not, disgusting. So running without filters is a very bad idea, unless you are willing to repair or replace injection pumps.

1800 Diesel

that could work, the issue would be if the copper sealing rings are in place on the bolts. The fuel systems on these units are more often than not, disgusting. So running without filters is a very bad idea, unless you are willing to repair or replace injection pumps.
We agree on not attempting to run the unit without filters installed. Hopefully he won't do that. :)

Ray70

I'm not sure if any fuel will flow through the return line if the unit isn't running, I thought the IP had to be going in order to get fuel through the return? I'd just prefill the canisters and loosen the line near the IP infeed , like 1800 said and let the primary pumps run. If you leave the canisters dry, expect it to take quite a while. the pumps don't push very much volume so it will take a long time to fill 3 canisters. Once you get it running any residual bubbles should work themselves out through the return line. Hopefully she's a good runner after that!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a bid on purchasing 2 of these bolts:

Line Part Requested NSN Condition Qty. Part Quoted Price Lead Time Line Total

4730-00-861-6890 NS 2 4730-00-861-6890 $299.00 4-7 DAYS $598.00 Description: BOLT,FLUID PASSAGE Certifications: COMPANY COC
Quote Total:
$598.00

I think I'll probably pass on these.

rustystud

I'm not sure if any fuel will flow through the return line if the unit isn't running, I thought the IP had to be going in order to get fuel through the return? I'd just prefill the canisters and loosen the line near the IP infeed , like 1800 said and let the primary pumps run. If you leave the canisters dry, expect it to take quite a while. the pumps don't push very much volume so it will take a long time to fill 3 canisters. Once you get it running any residual bubbles should work themselves out through the return line. Hopefully she's a good runner after that!
Actually if your pumps are working properly they will fill all three filters really fast ! If your pumps are operating slow, then you should take them apart and clean them up. They rebuild really easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks