• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP004A 15 kw Questions

Gordon Bryant

Kevin, Thanks! I feel a little better about it. I will actually be bidding for it at a Military Auction. I have seen it, but there were no batteries to crank it over. It will be sold as is. Not sure what a good price would be. Do you have an idea what I can expect to pay for something like this? I believe it has under 500 hours on it. and is mounted on a military trailer. I am fairly mechanically inclined and have a good understanding of diesels, and my dad is a wiz at electronics. I guess with an auction you would expect the worst and hope for the best.

Gordon

Isaac-1

There is a lot of variation in the selling price on these units on GL, I tend to only track the selling prices of the smaller units up to the MEP-003a 10KW generators. There are some general rules of thumb, trailer mounted units and ones with ASK housing will tend to go for more than bare skid mounted units. There are a lot of non-merit based auction dynamics at play, sometimes deals can be found when large numbers of generators are listed, other times it seems like there are one or two big buyers that are willing to bid up the prices to so they can get all of the units at a site, perhaps to make it worth it to them to send a dedicated truck for pickup. Often due to GL's 15 minute rule the best deals can be found on the middle of the pack less than great looking generators, what tends to happen when there are a group of lets say 10-15 mostly identical sets with 2-3 nicer looking ones (low hours showing, good condition, accessory parts visible, etc.) and also 2 -3 rougher than average units (high hours showing, mix and match colors, dents, dings, etc.). First the prices get driven up on the prime looking generators, then the people on a budget start bidding on those mid dle of the pack less prime looking ones, but skip over the bottom "rejects" Then a strange thing happens as closing time approaches, at say 10 minutes until closing people will start bidding up the price on those "rejects" and some of the middle of the pack generators. This becomes a 15 minute rule violation, pushing the closing time back until after the scheduled time, the nicer units and some of the middle of the pack units sell at the expected closing time, this leaves everyone else left going into a bidding frenzy on what is left, at this point the prices may still be less than the nice ones sold far, but each bid starts that 15 minute countdown again, so as a result you end up with the less choice units ending up selling in a bidding frenzy 30-45 minutes after scheduled closing time at a price significantly higher than the sell price of those "nicer" units that closed on schedule. I have seen this cause bare but functional looking MEP-003a's that typically sell in the $1,100 - $1,600 range go for $4,000+, which I consider insane on an as-is GL auction. Location, time of year, and recent storm events tend to also effect prices, but when it comes down to it some days prices just seem to go higher than others, some days it is insanely higher, if you don't have to then don't get caught up in the frenzy, and wait and bid again next time around. A couple of months ago I watched this happen to a GL auction near here to a degree that makes no sense at all to me with MEP-002a's selling at prices well above what you could buy them for from the various resellers ($1,800 - $4,100 for skid mounted 5KW MEP-002a's back in Oct, these were nothing special showing several hundred hours on the meters, not fresh resets or anything, but comparison I bought my MEP-002a about 18 months ago for $400, which is a bit low, typically around here they have been selling in $500- $800 range most times).

Last edited:

coxju04

I bought my Mep-002a with ASK, for 600 a few years ago. and then I bought my Mep-003a with ASK for 1,200 last summer. Isaac-1 has a very good point.

1800 Diesel

Kevin, Thanks! I feel a little better about it. I will actually be bidding for it at a Military Auction. I have seen it, but there were no batteries to crank it over. It will be sold as is. Not sure what a good price would be. Do you have an idea what I can expect to pay for something like this? I believe it has under 500 hours on it. and is mounted on a military trailer. I am fairly mechanically inclined and have a good understanding of diesels, and my dad is a wiz at electronics. I guess with an auction you would expect the worst and hope for the best.

Gordon
Gordon,

If you can, try to conduct an inspection of the unit you want to buy. Wouldn't hurt also to bring in a breaker bar to turn over the engine. Also you can open up the unit & look a little closer at internal wiring, etc. than the GL pix. As to price, these units have been sold for under $1000 to well over $2000. Just don't get swept up in the frenzy and overbid! Remember the one you're looking at is not the last generator on the planet! :)

On a final note--take a little time to read the warning above about posts related to current auctions. Don't want you get scolded by the moderator here!
If you put out much more detail you'll probably be on thin ice.... :)

Kevin

Last edited:

Ray70

Yes, I was also just about to say the samething.... be careful talking about upcoming auction events, it's against the rules, so don't go into any more detail.
The best I can imagine is that they used a single, universal amperage / altitude / temp tag on all models (With the ASK, since the tag is on the ASK, not the generator) then they have the other tag that tells the specifics for that generator, such as model# date, manufacturer and so on. Either way you can feel comfortable knowing this one is a 60Hz unit. Now it's up to you to decide how much it is worth to you. You said you went to preview it so you are within driving distance, so that puts you at an advantage if you can recover it yourself and save the transport fees! Good luck Gordon.

Gordon Bryant

All you guys have been great and kind to me as a new comer to the forum. All the info was priceless. I promise not to get into the price frenzy at bidding time. If I get something, Maybe I will let you all know how it all turned out. Have a great day. Talk to all yall soon.

Ray70

Hi Gordon,
Now that the auction is over and we are free to talk about that MEP-004A you were looking at, did you end up winning either of them?
I saw that the one with slightly more hours went for a really reasonable price. The other was considerably more, but both looked like really nice units.

Gordon Bryant

Yes, I did win one of the MEP-004A generators at the recent auction. I'm not sure if its the same ones you are thinking of. There were 3 in my area that I was looking at. One had around 220 hours, but looked cosmetically bad. I think this one went for around 1,100 or so. I had already placed my bid on a different one so I didn't bid on that one. There were two other ones. One with one hour of use. I was a bit skeptical of this one for some reason, it was never really even broke in, it sold for about $1,700. The other one had 120 hours on it and looked the best, this is the one I had hoped to get. So I placed my bid on that one. I have seen these nice looking models go for close to $3,000 so I was prepared to go that high. I believe I got it for $2,300 or so. I have not picked it up yet. I should have it by the weekend. If anyone wants to know how it turns out I will be glad to let them know, after I get it home.

Gordon

Ray70

Yup, those are the ones... I bid on the not so nice one in MD that sold for $1100 and I bid on the other one in DE that went cheaper. I agree, the 1 hour on the clock made me leary too, plus I'm a good 7 hours north, so I bid cheap if I have to travel far. Needless to say I didn't end up winning it. Congrats.... you got a great looking machine! Let us know how she looks after you get it home.

Gordon Bryant

I will let you know the status of this generator when I get it home. Thanks for all the helps, it meant a lot!!!

Peapvp, yes the 113A does run well, the head gasket looks like it may be leaking some antifreeze a little, and the out-put was going and coming, so it needs a little tweeking. Unless I can think us something else to do with it, I will use it for parts.

Gordon Bryant

Ok, I got my generator home the other day, I looked it over and it seems that everything is there and nothing missing. All the fluids have been drained so I put antifreeze in it and new filters and oil. Put about 5 gal of diesel in it and new batteries. Tomorrows the day that I will attempt to start her up. I will let everyone know how it turns out. We are expecting a snow and ice storm on Thursday. Hope everything works, just might need it.

1800 Diesel

Also, I am looking for a set of shop manuals for MEP 004a. Does any one know where I can get them?
Can parts still be bought for these units? Especially engine parts. If so, where?

Thanks again
Download manuals right off this site....see link above for tech manuals...there's one link for the 15 kw on a trailer. Or you can google & find several locations to download op & maint TM and others.

Kevin

Cpl Duncan

Just started this great adventure of lighting off a MEP-004A, 1444 Hrs., and Looks pretty good. Not a bunch of rust, all spins well and cranks over once I found bad CB. Read bunches of post about the IP issues of these that have sit for a while and have done the following. Checked according to troubleshooting schematic the electrical side of the fuel system and all floats and solenoids are working. Day tank filled after I replaced transfer pump and I have nice clean flow of fuel to IP. No fuel output to injectors from the DBMFC 433-1LK. I pulled top cover and verified on off of solenoid, but found meter valve stuck and freed up. Sprayed good with WD-40 so it would help with light rust found in this cavity. Based on lack of experience observation, all else seems OK. Buttoned all up and tried with no success of fuel to injectors with banjo fitting loose. Ready for suggestions. Also, would someone be so kind as to explain to this Jarhead the difference between a Precise and a Utility and how do I know which I have. Thanks for the help.

Isaac-1

Utility set just has the mechanical governor built into the Stanadyne DB injection pump which is good to about +/- 2 HZ, maybe a little better, the Precise set adds an electronic governor and actuator arm that adjusts the speed control arm on the injection pump to keep is as close as possible to 60.0 HZ usually around +/- .1 HZ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks