• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP004A generator block heater

1brassjunkie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anybody out there put a 110 volt block heater in an MEP004A? I see a threaded plug in the middle of the right side of the block that looks to be about 1.625 in diameter. Would that work for a threaded heater, and is there clearance in the water jacket behind the plug? I figured this would be cheaper and less complicated than a winterization kit during cold weather.

Ray70

I can't speak to the screw in block heater, but if by change it doesn't work you can get block heaters that you can splice into a coolant line. I have a Lull 644 and it had a 110V heater installed a 3/4" heater hose that connects the water pump to the thermostat housing. Its a small unit about the size of a toilet paper tube that contains a heating element and a small pump to circulate the warm coolant. Just another possible option...

Ray70

I just did a quick look on the internet and they make "lower radiator hose block heaters" in a variety of different hose sizes. Just splice it into your lower hose and the heat will rise up into the motor. They look to be about 600W for $50 or so depending on the size hose you have.

SMS

I wanted to be able to warm mine up quickly so I installed 2 threaded heaters in the side of the block. I purchased two 750 watt heaters with 3/4 pipe thread on eBay. I used npt bushings to adapt them to the block. With both plugged in I can have the block temp over 100 degrees in an hour with ambient temperature of zero. I also have a magnetic heater I put on the oil pan to warm the oil. It's like starting it in the summer.

1brassjunkie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to know, but I sold my MEP004A several years ago and now have an MEP802 and MEP803. Aside from not having the fuel burning winterization kits for them, I use a Katz oil pan heater when it's subzero. However the pre-heater prior to starting has been working fine. A soft plug heater would do but I haven't found any for the Lister Petter engines yet.

uniquify

A soft plug heater would do but I haven't found any for the Lister Petter engines yet.
I haven't tried this personally, but it ought to work for an 802 or 803:

The Zerostart Engine Heater 3100077 for Lister-Petter LPW Series (1994 & newer 56 CID 2 cyl., 85 CID 3 cyl., 113 CID 4 cyl.). This model is to be installed between cylinders. Point element UP or DOWN.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:

Part No.: 3100077
Watt: 400
Volt: 120
Diameter: 1-1/4"
Type: Freeze Plug
Replacement Cord: 3600004

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks