• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP004A generator block heater

1brassjunkie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anybody out there put a 110 volt block heater in an MEP004A? I see a threaded plug in the middle of the right side of the block that looks to be about 1.625 in diameter. Would that work for a threaded heater, and is there clearance in the water jacket behind the plug? I figured this would be cheaper and less complicated than a winterization kit during cold weather.

Ray70

I can't speak to the screw in block heater, but if by change it doesn't work you can get block heaters that you can splice into a coolant line. I have a Lull 644 and it had a 110V heater installed a 3/4" heater hose that connects the water pump to the thermostat housing. Its a small unit about the size of a toilet paper tube that contains a heating element and a small pump to circulate the warm coolant. Just another possible option...

Ray70

I just did a quick look on the internet and they make "lower radiator hose block heaters" in a variety of different hose sizes. Just splice it into your lower hose and the heat will rise up into the motor. They look to be about 600W for $50 or so depending on the size hose you have.

SMS

I wanted to be able to warm mine up quickly so I installed 2 threaded heaters in the side of the block. I purchased two 750 watt heaters with 3/4 pipe thread on eBay. I used npt bushings to adapt them to the block. With both plugged in I can have the block temp over 100 degrees in an hour with ambient temperature of zero. I also have a magnetic heater I put on the oil pan to warm the oil. It's like starting it in the summer.

1brassjunkie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to know, but I sold my MEP004A several years ago and now have an MEP802 and MEP803. Aside from not having the fuel burning winterization kits for them, I use a Katz oil pan heater when it's subzero. However the pre-heater prior to starting has been working fine. A soft plug heater would do but I haven't found any for the Lister Petter engines yet.

uniquify

A soft plug heater would do but I haven't found any for the Lister Petter engines yet.
I haven't tried this personally, but it ought to work for an 802 or 803:

The Zerostart Engine Heater 3100077 for Lister-Petter LPW Series (1994 & newer 56 CID 2 cyl., 85 CID 3 cyl., 113 CID 4 cyl.). This model is to be installed between cylinders. Point element UP or DOWN.

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:

Part No.: 3100077
Watt: 400
Volt: 120
Diameter: 1-1/4"
Type: Freeze Plug
Replacement Cord: 3600004