• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP006A

bruce1776

I went to start my MEP006a started fine, but no voltage. I swapped the exciter out of my other MEP006a and all the voltage was there so I shut it down, that was a week ago. I was hooking up new batteries today and started it up and no voltage, any ideas on what could be happening. Bothe the exciters were new one from ebay and one from Oskosh now neither gen works

Ray70

Have you tried swapping one of the exciters back into the previously "Good" generator to verify that both exciters are in fact bad?
Perhaps something else is going on with the one exciters into and the exciters are not really the problem?

jmenende

I recall something similar happed to me a few years back. Check F1, F2 excitation wires and make sure they are screwed in tight. My had a broken terminal.

Guyfang

Staff member
Ray wrote:
Have you tried swapping one of the exciters back into the previously "Good" generator to verify that both exciters are in fact bad?
Perhaps something else is going on with the one exciters into and the exciters are not really the problem?

After trying both exciters in the gen set you know works, and they both work, then you may need to take a look at your S9-1 switch.

And you are sure it has no output? Not just that the gauges don't work? test at the 120 volt outlet. Would you stick your tongue on the L1 terminal?

Also, Pay attention. Do the hertz and AC volt meters come up and then go right back down? Or never move an inch?

Guyfang

Staff member
When you put the A11's in, you don't even need to bolt them in. Just slide em in. They are grounded through the wire harness. Make testing faster.

bruce1776

I recall something similar happed to me a few years back. Check F1, F2 excitation wires and make sure they are screwed in tight. My had a broken terminal.
I am looking at the TM's I can not find these to trace. Can you tell what page and what TM it would be on?

bruce1776

I put the exciter back in the other Gen and it worked, in doing my voltage measurements on the three phases I noticed that the working gen measuring from phase to phase I have 240-253 depending on what I set the VAR at and I have 138 to ground from each phase. but on the AVSS not all the positions work. I have not checked underneath the terminal board to see if there have been modifications to change from a Y config to a zigag config, butit works. So on the other gen when I opened the control panel I found (see picture) but it is old all dry not sticky. I do have a new one coming, but what else could the issue be

Attachments

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the exciter back in the other Gen and it worked, in doing my voltage measurements on the three phases I noticed that the working gen measuring from phase to phase I have 240-253 depending on what I set the VAR at and I have 138 to ground from each phase. but on the AVSS not all the positions work. I have not checked underneath the terminal board to see if there have been modifications to change from a Y config to a zigag config, butit works. So on the other gen when I opened the control panel I found (see picture) but it is old all dry not sticky. I do have a new one coming, but what else could the issue be
Many many moons ago, once upon a time in a land far distant, they used a oil/tar based filler as insulator and coolant in high voltage transformers which had the nasty habit of simply exploding the fully sealed enclosure when Transformer got to hot or enclosure started to crack from age and couldn't hold up to pressure built up when the transformer was operated as intended.
Some Capacitors have also been known to be filled this type of oily, slickly, gooey semi liquid......
Be careful with the clean up, can contain dioxin......

Guyfang

Staff member
F1 and F2 are on the left side, inside the rear door. There is a terminal strip there TB16. Should only be 4 wires to it. Two in, two out to the main gen.

Guyfang

Staff member
Put a known good A11 into the generator that will not make voltage, all the time. Fire it up. What happens? Notice, while starting, do the AC volt and hertz meter come up a ways, and drop down again? Or do they not move at all? If they move, then you are getting initial excitation. That means the S9 is working correctly. If the meters do not move at all, that means the initial excitation is not happening. That is a function of the S9.

bruce1776

after replacing the watt transducer I have voltage I measure 208 between phases and 129 to ground with both the onboard measuring and my fluke meter, but it will only run in battle mode due to an over voltage fault. any ideas?

bruce1776

I did do that, and nothing. I put the new Watt Transducer in and a new A11 excitation box I bought in and fired it up and meters moved, but it would not stay running unless I put on the Battle Short. So with the battle short on I dialed in the voltage to 208/120 but the frequency would not go below 61hz. Not saying that a new A11 couldn't have bade parts, but it is brand new. I will have to look at tomorrow as I do have a new VR as well, is there anything else I should look at?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks