• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

metal in oil pan

welldigger

After studying the IP t.m. I don't believe it is the governor springs. They appear to be too large. However, the timing device is in the front of the pump. The springs are much smaller and I can easily see how they could come out and get chewed up by the pump drive gear and end up in the oil pan.

volver

I found an image of the piston ring set. TNJ Murray has one for sale.

312.jpg

It looks like one of the rings is a spring. The coils on the spring are about the right size. And the quantity I have found is about the circumference of the piston.

But how did it escape the groove it sits in? maybe a dry start or the skirt broke off.

volver

I don't think the engine would run if the timing of the fuel delivery was off do to missing springs. Or at least it would not run as smooth as it does now.

A while back, I remember noticing that when the engine spins 1900-2200 rpm I heard what sounded like piston slap. A chattery noise, not a knock or a tap. Any other rpm it went away. i ignored it. lol.

The noise changed to 1600-2000 rpm a few months back. I though I was just paranoid.

ATPTac

I don't think the engine would run if the timing of the fuel delivery was off do to missing springs. Or at least it would not run as smooth as it does now.

A while back, I remember noticing that when the engine spins 1900-2200 rpm I heard what sounded like piston slap. A chattery noise, not a knock or a tap. Any other rpm it went away. i ignored it. lol.

The noise changed to 1600-2000 rpm a few months back. I though I was just paranoid.
Any time you get an abnormal noise out of an engine, I wouldn't view it as paranoia. One of the Deuce's we looked at before buying ours had a rather unsettling knock in the engine, which ultimately killed the deal (along with other factors). I will needlessly say that you should probably get this figured out and fixed before driving the truck anymore. I'm also curious to see what you find, keep us posted.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen several deuces with broken cylinder liners (including one of my own) but they usually leave large chunks of the liner in the pan. Mine also had a very loud knock, other than that it ran fine though.

After seeing the pics posted of a new set of rings, I'm leaning more heavily toward a broken oil ring (there is just no other springs in the engine, that I can think of, that would be that small and long). As has been mentioned, the piston and/or liner would also have to break for the oil ring to get out of it's groove in that big of pieces.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed , got something going on in there . I would also pull the oil filters and cut them open , then see what you have , might give you more of a clue . Bottom line is I think the pan is going to have to come off for a better look see . good luck .

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you decide to look into the issue, jack up the driver's side bumper about 3 inches. This will let the springs sag and give you room to remove the oilpan easier. I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but draining the pan first helps a lot. (not sure if you filled yours back up).

volver

Well, the bed is currently full of tractor steering wheels that need to be delivered to my father's business a crossed town. I did fill it with oil and ran it. It sounds better now than it did last time I shut it down. Better flow from the spin on filters? or because the oil is new? It never sounded like it was broken. I thought it was making normal deuce noises.

What is the function of this spring? Is it an oil scraper ring? or a piston stabilization ring?

The last time I changed the oil was about a year ago. I could have been driving it like this for a while. Doesn't burn any oil. Oil is not being contaminated by fuel. Oil pressure is good. The condition is not getting any worse. I guess I am going to drive it like I stole it until the weather warms up a bit then pull the pan.

volver

I better check the old oil for aluminum. The steel springs stuck to the magnet that I dipped in there but there could be chunks of piston in the bottom of the bucket.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the oil ring missing, all it will do is burn oil on that cylinder but like I said above, some serious parts have to be broken for that ring to come out like that.

I wouldn't run the truck any more at all if you plan on savaging what's left of your engine until you find out what's going on.

volver

Drove the truck for a few weeks. No problems.
Drained the oil today. No metal in the oil.
I pulled the oil pan as well. No metal in the pan.
Checked the pistons. They look new, very clean.
Cylinder walls were smooth. Mirrored almost. No scoring.
Spring must not be a piston ring.

volver

I can't post pics from my phone. Will post at home. There was a spring piece jammed between the crank gear and the engine front cover.

jwaller

I had half a c clip come out of my oil pan when I first got the truck 10 years ago. 20k very hard miles later she still pulls hard and has great oil pressure. Somebody told me it looked like a part from the oil pressure relief valve. Who knows but it hasn't stopped my multi yet.

volver

IMG_20140420_164040_698.jpgIMG_20140420_163935_027.jpgIMG_20140420_172122_306.jpgIMG_20140420_172530_895.jpg

Spring was jammed between front engine cover and crank timing gear. The coils are much tighter than I originally thought. It cannot be seen in the picture, but the spring on the paper towel has red paint on it between the coils. The bag contains all the pieces I have recovered.

Does anyone know what this spring goes to?

rustystud

View attachment 489455View attachment 489453View attachment 489456View attachment 489454

Spring was jammed between front engine cover and crank timing gear. The coils are much tighter than I originally thought. It cannot be seen in the picture, but the spring on the paper towel has red paint on it between the coils. The bag contains all the pieces I have recovered.

Does anyone know what this spring goes to?
My best guess is it's the spring on the oil seal. The crankshaft oil seal.