• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal Magnets's M211 teardown and future rebuild.

The frame is pretty clean, there's not much real rust; nice find.
:clinto:[thumbzup]
You know what the sad part is? That truck really only needed a battery and gas to run. It was scrapped for the cab and front clip. I got it just before it was going to be smashed apart for the brass in the fire pump (1500 pounds of brass ). The guy at the yard didn't sort of trust me to give back all the brass, and was sure I'd steal most and sell it to someone else. I made a deal that I would give back every ounce of brass, but he had to get the truck to my place first. Finally he took a chance, and on a Friday night he delivered this strange looking thing in my back yard. Monday at 6.30 pm I delivered the goods. He was VERY happy (+/- $2500.00 in heavy brass), and so was I. Having connections at a scrap yard is HEAVEN!!!

Another Ahab

If you could show me how that's done, I could try that for sure.
Let me see if I can post this:- You save your image as a .jpeg (I hope you won't ask me how :roll:; but if you do we'll figure that out).

- Then with your .jpeg image you go to "Markup" in the tool bar, and select on that

- And that will drop down a tool bar of graphics from which you select on the "circle/square" graphics, and your tools are in there (circle for the circles, and the arrow for the arrows). See image below.

I sure hope this explanation doesn't end up being totally worthless. Does it help at all?

Scrnsht.jpg

Arrow's

O.K, I'll giv'r a shot....20160821_135149.jpg I forgot to show the arrow pointing to where my house is in this picture, BUT this shot was taken from Dalhousie Mtn last summer, and shows the Restigouche River in the background.
Just so you know, I did a boo boo. BUT, in my typical way of screwing up, I AM UNIQUE!!!
Just look at my next shot.....20170111_163819.jpg

LOOK CLOSELY at the picture.

Last edited:
Let me see if I can post this:- You save your image as a .jpeg (I hope you won't ask me how :roll:; but if you do we'll figure that out).

- Then with your .jpeg image you go to "Markup" in the tool bar, and select on that

- And that will drop down a tool bar of graphics from which you select on the "circle/square" graphics, and your tools are in there (circle for the circles, and the arrow for the arrows). See image below.

I sure hope this explanation doesn't end up being totally worthless. Does it help at all?

View attachment 661951
I don't see the same tool bar as you have, so I gave it a shot, but don't worry, you have helped a lot. I will have to remember to point stuff out in the future, so it's a learning curve.

Needle valves

20161204_154523 (1).jpgHere is a side by side comparison of the old (plastic) and "new" (salvaged) needles.
I removed the just the damper spring from the steel one, and set the float height by having the ign switch in the on position, and removing the ground on the battery on the driver side. With the top of the carb off, touch the post on the battery (with the cable) and the pump will fill the bowl and you can set the height as needed. DO THIS OUTSIDE, not inside a warm garage, because of possibility of gas fumes igniting. This method was the only way to actually see how much was in the bowl, at what height. If you see it's about to overflow, remove your ground. Use an "old" turkey baster to siphon out some gas out to lower the the float again, and try again until you have it right on.
The steel needle came from an old Holley model #1920 carb, from a 1950 6 cyl L-110 International truck.It was a silver diamond engine
.20170112_214838.jpg I'm going to make a belt buckle out of this, aren't PLASMA CUTTERS GREAT!! (cut this from engine block)

(20161204_154523 (1).jpg This what you remove and ONLY this. (notice the arrow....)

Last edited:
That's beautiful country where you live!

But what's that you're carrying in the second shot? It looks like you stole the Jumbotron from some NFL Stadium somewhere!
"What is that?"
It is an old corner mount Pitman Polecat 650 material handler.(1973 or so) It's digger part was removed long before I started working on booms, and last year the truck it was mounted on was re-purposed for something else. So this was too old, no parts available, not worth it to re-certify it on another unit, so it's was basically scrap. SO I GOT IT....We had to put it on the flat deck in this position to put the weight in the middle of the platform, because it was so heavy on one side if put "normally".My heart was in my throat on the way home, I thought he was going to roll over several times....But, we made it. I hauled the water tank home also that day, now my backyard is full. Next summer, will be busy for sure.
. 20170110_150639.jpg

Original cab for the F.W.D fire truck.

20140912_083917.jpg20140912_074022.jpg20140912_083942.jpg20140912_083928.jpg

I know I put some of these up here before, but just wanted to show again how good the cab looked. This is as it was, no new paint or body work. Just taken off my chassis, and plopped down on a Dodge 3/4 ton chassis with a Cummins Turbo Diesel engine. The proportions don't look right to me, on that "little" frame, but to each his own.

Another Ahab

View attachment 662168

I know I put some of these up here before, but just wanted to show again how good the cab looked. This is as it was, no new paint or body work. Just taken off my chassis, and plopped down on a Dodge 3/4 ton chassis with a Cummins Turbo Diesel engine. The proportions don't look right to me, on that "little" frame, but to each his own.
It does have an ugly duckling look to it on that chassis and those wheels, but that cab and front-end is one real beautiful thing.

Found another truck

Was out enjoying the beautiful weather today, and stopped to check out a truck I spotted last year. The owner wasn't around, but his buddy was and he allowed me access to the truck and even allowed me to take a few pictures. I was stumped when I saw THREE pedals on the floor, not the usual two. And didn't even clue in to the missing shift tower. When I saw the stick shift sticking up where the other parts should have been, then I saw the light. It still has the original 302 engine, but some sort of adaption to a five speed was done. I'm looking at getting this truck if the price is right, so here is all I have for now.20170528_142412.jpg20170528_142423C6CEY3C9.jpg20170528_142306.jpg20170528_142231.jpg20170528_142023.jpg20170528_141913.jpg20170528_141824.jpg20170528_141812 (1).jpg20170528_141757.jpg20170528_142023.jpg Looks like fuel pump doesn't work, and water pump was removed to repair or replace and never finished. Have to wait and see if owner wants to sell it or not.

SturmTyger380

It's not bad looking. I see it has the muffler but no side stack flex pipe. Buggers.

I would like to see how they did that transmission setup. A 302 with a five speed... hummmm.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW.........Would be interesting what they did with transmission. Not a bad looking truck. Has a lot of possibilities. Keep us posted on the truck.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's possible they did the same thing they did to my XM211.
I found some old pics of my transmission I'll attach.
They incorporated a clutch lever using brake parts.transm211010_308.jpgtransm211009_434.jpgtransm211008_138.jpg

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am still not sure as to the proper nomenclature of the transmission but here is a pic I took when trying to figure out the pto.
I would appreciate any clues from you folks.9-7-11 Hulky PTO et al-16 (Large).jpg

Last edited: