• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mike’s Mechanical Mules

m715mike

Well… I purchased a pack of mules… and the adventure starts now.

My brother-in-law and I are hitting the road and driving from Montgomery, Texas to Southern California where we’ll meet @WillWagner and take delivery of three mules! There are two complete vehicles and one parts truck.

I’ll post more information on the mules later, but here are a couple of pictures.

20230510_092243.jpegAttachment.jpegIMG_3537.jpeg

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not quite "museum quality". 2 of them run and have all their parts, including tow bars, engine covers and seat backs, the other one has no engine, but is a good base to start with or part out to re-coup monies spent.

Looking forward to meeting another SS member!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least one (the one next to the green trailer, with the tow bar attached in the picture) is an A5 because it has front-only steering.

The shorty Scout pickup is cool too. I've always had a soft spot for those. :)

Cheers

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well… I purchased a pack of mules… and the adventure starts now.

My brother-in-law and I are hitting the road and driving from Montgomery, Texas to Southern California where we’ll meet @WillWagner and take delivery of three mules! There are two complete vehicles and one parts truck.

I’ll post more information on the mules later, but here are a couple of pictures.

View attachment 897430View attachment 897431View attachment 897432
Sounds like a good trip ! When the border patrol dives off in the median of I-10 like theyre going try to hit you head on dont even bother to hit your brakes if you do they will probly pull you over lol it seems to spook the smugglers at night and the first time you see them do it will scare you but thats all theyre doin is testing the water !

m715mike

My new mule pack consists of:

One 1966 M274A2 manufactured by Bowen-McLaughein-York (BMY) — Complete vehicle, runner

One 1968 M274A5 manufactured by Baifield Industries — Complete vehicle, runner

One 1968 M274A5 manufactured by Baifield Industries — Missing engine, parts truck or restoration candidate

m715mike

I had a lot of maintenance done to my pick-up and trailer over the past week in preparation for this trip, including buying new trailer tires at Discount Tire. The kid at Discount Tire either messed up the installation or gave me bad valve stems (or both). The valve stems would not hold air and I had two completely flat tires at our first fuel stop this morning (they were good when we left home this morning).

As luck would have it, there was a tire shop at the gas station in Segovia, TX and Joe got us back on the road. We lost about 30 minutes but, otherwise, everything else is going smoothly.

Quick! Someone distract Murphy. We’re making a run for it!
IMG_3619.jpegIMG_3623.jpegIMG_3622.jpeg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a lot of maintenance done to my pick-up and trailer over the past week in preparation for this trip, including buying new trailer tires at Discount Tire. The kid at Discount Tire either messed up the installation or gave me bad valve stems (or both). The valve stems would not hold air and I had two completely flat tires at our first fuel stop this morning (they were good when we left home this morning).

As luck would have it, there was a tire shop at the gas station in Segovia, TX and Joe got us back on the road. We lost about 30 minutes but, otherwise, everything else is going smoothly.

Quick! Someone distract Murphy. We’re making a run for it!
View attachment 897468View attachment 897469View attachment 897470
Stop by a big auto parts joint and buy you a bag of the slime cans the green stuff you just screw to the valve stem and mash the button so you dont get caught out in no where without a way to air your tires up and a can of either and a bic lighter incase you of them comes off the bead you can blow it back on call me if you get jammed up

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Stop by a big auto parts joint and buy you a bag of the slime cans the green stuff you just screw to the valve stem and mash the button so you dont get caught out in no where without a way to air your tires up and a can of either and a bic lighter incase you of them comes off the bead you can blow it back on call me if you get jammed up
And they are low pressure tires too since the "give" in the tires is the only suspension (other than the padded seat) to cushion your backside. Low air could become evident pretty fast...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought a set for my little tilt 6x10 that are 8 ply trailer only tires it says and they just want 40 psi in them but were just 60 a piece out the door so i got 3 and that a first for me to put a brand new spare on the trailer ? I must be getting soft !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well where are yall at now ! Probly shacked up in JUAREZ (just because its cheap doesnt mean your supposed to partake for 2 days) And was it just me but doesnt the tequila seem to taste so much better down there with all the pretty seniorettas around ! lol Keep us informed incase you get kidnapped before you get thru the badlands ! I will get group of Davy Crocketts and well come kidnap ya back !!!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great to meet the Mikes! Load out went smooth, HOPEFULLY they got out of here before traffic got bad. I went home so my wife and I could get some time in together, grocery and b-day present shopping, and I live at the 210fwy. At 1430, it was more stopped than normal. Hope the 10 was less traveled.

All 3 fit on the trailer nicely, only needed the forklift to put the non runner up top. I took no pics, but M715Mike did, I am sure he will post them up.

Safe travels my friend!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks